• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

JSB Exact Heavy .177 cal 10.34gr ? Change ?

Hello @ctshooter

Wow one of those has a real thin skirt and no tunnel. This is frustrating when the different pellets shoot so differently. I haven't tried any other pellet in my Brocock but guess I will now.

ThomasT
Yeah - that's been my one complaint with the JSB 10gr over the years. Very thin skirts easily bent.

Just FYI - in case it wasn't clear - the bottom pic is an H&N, not a newer JSB.

• Love
Reactions: ThomasT
During the pellet shortage I got 6,000 10.34s that had had sizes no larger than 4.48, with most being 4.47. Some were smaller than the 4.46 on the pelletgage. My guns with LW barrels would shoot them O.K., but not like the old ones that were 4.49 or 4.50. My R10 SE has a barrel that is .177 or 4.50 exactly and would spray them at 30 yards. I went to H&N Baracuda Match 10.65 and now the R10 stacks them. I tried the 4.50 and 4.52 and the 4.50s were a bit better. They both have head sizes a bit larger than stated and the size and weight are very consistent. I have also gone to the JST 18 grain .22s over the JSBs. The JSB 16.2s are also all over the place.

That stinks big time. That's the pellet I shoot the most, it's always been consistent for me- never a truly bad lot or significant variation in shape. Some better than others of course, but no garbage or "hey, this isn't the same pellet" moments.
Suppose all good things must come to an end.

Definitely have seen it in other JSB offerings, .22 MRDs being the poster child.

Dies wear out & need replacing, I get that. Doesn't seem like it should be difficult to get new dies made to the same specifications used for the previous dies... then again, consistent quality in anything has become something of a pipe dream these days.

That stinks big time. That's the pellet I shoot the most, it's always been consistent for me- never a truly bad lot or significant variation in shape. Some better than others of course, but no garbage or "hey, this isn't the same pellet" moments.

Definitely have seen it in other JSB offerings, .22 MRDs being the poster child.

Dies wear out & need replacing, I get that. Doesn't seem like it should be difficult to get new dies made to the same specifications used for the previous dies... then again, consistent quality in anything has become something of a pipe dream these days.
For the millions of pellets cranked out by any company i think they do a heckofa job. Just say these one line of jsb , how many produced for the masses and keep it all that consistent.

Hello @wolfmangreg

I agree, new set of dies should be identical in every way, that is not a hard thing to do now days with CAD machines.

I believe any body that own more than one .177 gun shoots or have shot the 10.34's , I'm also shooting them in my Crown ..... or should I say, used to shoot them in the Crown :confused:

ThomasT

Reactions: wolfmangreg
For the millions of pellets cranked out by any company i think they do a heckofa job. Just say these one line of jsb , how many produced for the masses and keep it all that consistent.
Have to agree, it's pretty daunting when you think of millions of pellets, produced over a long period of time, and in multiple tools. Some variation is inevitable as dies wear in & eventually wear out. Raw material consistency probably plays a role too. Realistically, only so much can be done to maintain consistency while keeping the whole process financially viable.

It's the changes like these - where differences in skirt thickness, skirt depth, head shape, etc are visible to the naked eye - that bother me. Makes it a whole new pellet, one that may or may not shoot like the previous version in any given rifle. First world problem for sure, don't want to make it sound like a bigger issue than it is. Just irritating. Would rather shoot a bum tin of pellets than not shoot at all 😄