• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Jammed my Gauntlet barrel with 6 pellets please help / :

I'm really so much smarter than the title would imply, I promise! I was slightly confused in my head about the gun I was using and I had never shot the Gauntlet prior to this so since it was the first time with the gun I was expecting a stiff bolt and well, yeah, didn't even fire a single pellet before it dawned on my 6 were missing from the clip. I managed to shove the stuck clip out which sheared one of them off so I guess there are now 5.20 pellets in .177 stuck in the barrel. 

Soft pellets, steal barrel right so I'm thinking I have the following options.

1) Vacuum out with HVAC vac

2) Push out with compressed air

3) Hammer out with dowel or rod

4) Drill out with an aluminium, copper, brass drill bit if they make them

5) Melt out with heat (not sure if the barrel removes enough to make it viable to get up to 625F without melting plastic)

I felt like wood wouldn't be strong enough so the only thing I've tried is hand ramming with aluminium tig welding rod which is the only thing I have that would fit down the barrel. That was of no value so I'm scratching my head and want to make an informed choice moving forward.

What would a professional do here? I have nearly all the tools you can think of I just need to know my best path to success here ( :

Take the barrel completely off -put into vise add some penatrating oil (Nut buster ) let set for a few hours then take the largest wood dowel that will fit in the barrel & hammer out carefully - you may need to drill out the center of the pellets a little to relieve them . this is what I have done in the past . If you heat that barrel up kiss it good buy . Best of luck Darell

If you hammer it it will wedge them in so tight it will take drilling to remove them.

A bore size rod of brass or aluminum (NOT a jointed cleaning rod!!!) and just keep tapping and you will slowly get them out. It's guys that try to get in a hurry and pound on the rod who fail.

I have seen where a gunsmith took a brass rod and cut flutes like a drill bit or end mill on the first 1/4 with a dremel tool and a cutting wheel and used that to push down on the pellet stack and 'cut' a few turns, pull it out and clear the chips, insert and cut into the lead a few turns and repeated until he got enough out to tap the rest out. Took him two hours and he charged for them too!

If you hammer it it will wedge them in so tight it will take drilling to remove them.

A bore size rod of brass or aluminum (NOT a jointed cleaning rod!!!) and just keep tapping and you will slowly get them out. It's guys that try to get in a hurry and pound on the rod who fail.

I have seen where a gunsmith took a brass rod and cut flutes like a drill bit or end mill on the first 1/4 with a dremel tool and a cutting wheel and used that to push down on the pellet stack and 'cut' a few turns, pull it out and clear the chips, insert and cut into the lead a few turns and repeated until he got enough out to tap the rest out. Took him two hours and he charged for them too!

Good idea,

if trying to tap out, a carbon fiber rod might fare better than dowel

TucsonAZ, remember safety first! Rushing got you into this situation and it can also get you hurt. Decock that rifle immediately and then place the safety on. If you don’t know how to do it, read the owners manual or search the web. There are plenty of YouTube videos on the Guantlet and I’m sure there is someone who shows you how to decock it and place it in a “Safe” mode. I agree with brian_null, use a wood dowel so not to damage the barrel. Someone else mentioned used a penetrating lubricant and I think that is a good idea too. Just remember to wipe the barrel clean because some of those penetrating fluids are combustable. Like the rest of the guys said, push the pellets towards the breech with a wood dowel and light tapping. They pushed in easy enough, they should come out easy enough. Lastly replace the breech o ring seal because penetrating fluid will destroy the o ring over time. Don’t beat yourself up, we have all done this to one degree or another. Be Safe!

Reactions: NMshooter
Wood being first choice, just be aware that sometimes wood will splinter and wedge into the space between barrel and pellet making it near impossible to move.

My local hardware store sells brass all-thread rod in different sizes and lengths so I would look for that instead of a blank piece of brass rod. Brass is soft metal, yet harder than the lead pellets and should not harm your barrel.

Just wanted to update for anybody who has this happen. If you can't remove the mag due to a half loaded pellet just force the mag out with your finger, it will shear the soft lead pellet without damaging the plastic magazine. I would have been comfortable with a brass cleaning rod in hindsight but all the same I spent $3 at Lowes and got a 1/8th inch solid brass rod and with one or two very light taps they were all freed. I was expecting a nightmare but this was a fairly easy fix so don't panic if this happens to you.