• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

It’s all about balance

Running a barricade is much easier with a well balanced rifle. As you’ll see in the pic my gun is placed very far forward on the bag with my grip nearly touching the bag. This is the balance point currently and not ideal. That’s the struggle with these particular Airguns. Moral of the story get as much weight as far forward as you can on an impact to help balance the rifle. With an approach like this the gun requires less input at the rear from me and is easier to minimize my wobble zone and stay on target
6ED9CB92-7773-4A71-8FAC-A1550BAD03A7.jpeg

Running a barricade is much easier with a well balanced rifle. As you’ll see in the pic my gun is placed very far forward on the bag with my grip nearly touching the bag. This is the balance point currently and not ideal. That’s the struggle with these particular Airguns. Moral of the story get as much weight as far forward as you can on an impact to help balance the rifle. With an approach like this the gun requires less input at the rear from me and is easier to minimize my wobble zone and stay on target View attachment 304322
I've noticed alot of the big heavy pcp air gunners use large tripods and camera-like equipment. I always thought that was very smart because allot of tech and design goes into balancing those cameras for a good shot if you know what I mean!

Reactions: UtahPewPew
I'll be the odd man out and say that I find the greatest control and accuracy when the rifle is weighted 40/60 to as much as 30/70 (with the heaviest at the rear). It minimizes muzzle flip, prevents recoil from throwing off accuracy, and it forces a proper shooting stance.

I've also found it easier to be swing my rifle along the horizontal axis for the fastest target acquisition. When the rifle is positioned 50/50, there's a tendency for the POS to do a figure 8 motion like ∞.

Just comes down to what works for you and your setup on a personal level.

My friends Vudoo/MPA 22rf with weights up front and heavy barrel is around 52/48 so slightly front heavy and 20-ish pounds. It seems perfect for shooting off props and all it takes is scooting the rifle back a hair if ever needed. On most props that are slightly flat (like a ladder rung) I can put the rifle on a Weibad fortune cookie bag, put the crosshairs exactly where I want them, (almost letting go of the rifle) and the rifle stays there, go into free recoil mode, then just press the trigger. Except for heaving the rifle around between props and doing offhand "its awesome".

As much as I love my 1827F my 22rf won't do this for a few reasons and part of that is a rear weight bias. Sure it swings around well but that is one of the few upsides which aren't where many of the points are gained in most stages. Though my gun is great for the occasional offhand stage as well as when working the action in very contorted positions.