• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is this tank still good? A dropped Carbon Fiber 75cuft tank :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
"crittahitta"Im with Tom. Go get it hydro tested and know for sure.
Hopefully you have a place that is close that can Hydro test your tank.

Back in December I took my two scuba tanks to a place that performs the hydro test. These particular tanks had never been used for scuba, not a scratch on them, bought new 5 years before, used for filling my Marauders since new, and have remained in my home since they were new. Since i have my own compressor, i thought about not even getting it done. But we sometimes forget about the power of air and how lethal that a tank can be if it had a malfunction/rupture.

If others indicate these tanks (scba) can be hydroed also than I would definitely get that done before using the tank again.

Even if it now seems to be holding pressure I would de gas the tank.

I paid 21 dollars for each tank, (3 day drop off and pickup), taking it to a scuba shop it probably would have added 2 to 3 weeks in time and at least doubled the cost.

You'll get peace of mind and know you have a safe tank.

Also you can get a cradle that will prevent the tank from rolling.

https://www.airhog.com/12-carbon-fiber-tanks

Sorry for your mishap FukoChan. I have held a certification for tank inspections since the early 90's. I currently don't do inspections anymore but I thought I would share some of the documentation that is out there for the inspectors to use as a guide in determining the fate of damaged tanks. First here is the cliff notes short version as copied from the document attached. 
Here is the link to the complete document for your review: http://www.galiso.com/Training/mobile/pdf/Luxferscbaguide2.pdf
Composite cylinders start on page 18 of the pdf but is page 15 of the document.

Hope this helps.

"Composite Cylinders Check for bows, bulges and dents as is outlined above in the aluminum section. A composite material dent may appear as a frosty area rather than an indentation. Measure and determine the area of any noted frosty area(s).• CONDEMN cylinders with dents in the composite material which cause the breaking or loosening of fibers, or when structural damage is apparent.• CONDEMN cylinders with dents in the composite material which causes a ‘frosty’ appearance that is 1.0 square inch (6.45 cm2) or more in area.• CONDEMN composite cylinders with bows and/or bulges."

I think your on the right track. Have the tank visually inspected by a certified inspector, don't be afraid to ask to see their credentials. I would also suggest you visit your local fire department and get their recommendation, and also find out who handles their tanks as far as their visual and hydro testing. Proceeding cautiously and prudently might give you the confidence to make the right choice. 
Do I sound wishy washy? Yes, I don't have the tank in front of me and don't know the details of the damage. Even as a certified inspector, I would still seek out the advise of other inspectors so as to learn and utilize from their experiences. Good luck FukoChan! wishing you the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.