• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is there any advantage of the .25 over the .22?

I shot .22 air rifles for several years (discrete urban pest control). Then I tried a .25. Sold the .22, bought the .25 and never looked back. If you can find a .22 that can shoot the JSB Redesigned 25 gr pellet around 870 fps, then you are approaching .25 cal ballistics.

Me too. I still shoot rats with .22 but not very often cuz there aren't that many targets and prefer the devastation of .25

...now that air guns are being legally recognized as viable hunting tools the .25 is OUTLAWED here in CT...
1f62c.svg
1f44e.svg

Okay, I'm going to my second sheet of paper in making of list of reasons never to move to CT!

...now that air guns are being legally recognized as viable hunting tools the .25 is OUTLAWED here in CT...
1f62c.svg
1f44e.svg

Okay, I'm going to my second sheet of paper in making of list of reasons never to move to CT!

...to be more clear, outlawed on state land, which is where most of us have to hunt...

...I don't know how the law would feel aboot me shooting a .25 in my back yard though...it is most likely an infraction...

...I don't think it is much different than shooting a .22lr as far as safety is concerned...this is something I am not comfortable doing...

...back before legislation shooting a "pellet gun" in the back yard was not illegal per se...

...discharging a fire arm always has been illegal in this urban area...

...will the .25 be too powerful for for some of your shooting...???...this is one consideration often overlooked...

...I ended up shooting a .17 again...

1f62c.svg
1f44e.svg

Better add Pa. to your list. No .25 cal. air rifles for hunting as of this post. .17 and .22 only for small game and nothing smaller than .22 for groundhogs.

...will the .25 be too powerful for for some of your shooting...???...this is one consideration often overlooked...

This is an extremely good & sound point. I hardly shoot my .25 because my main shooting range is at home. At over 64fpe it’s just too dangerous & frankly overkill to shoot squirrels in my back yard. The more deader comment was more of a joke. I dispatch them with .177 all the time. Shot placement rules.

That brings me to “who the heck would shoot big game with a .25?” If it was legal, if the gun has enough power, and if the shooter is absolutely sure of the shot, depending on the game, totally doable with even a .22. Pigs are considered large game & people take them with .22 all the time . Even with a break barrel. Was a post from @blackdiesel showing one taken with a .177 not long ago. A deer will stay in place and run 0 yards if I hit it with my PT Cricket in the noggin.

Better add Pa. to your list. No .25 cal. air rifles for hunting as of this post. .17 and .22 only for small game and nothing smaller than .22 for groundhogs.

In PA, .25 & above is legal for groundhogs. Below is a quote from the PA hunting Digest. Notice that it says "at least 22-caliber" The large size of the specific INFO has been enhanced by me. Except for these 2 particular quotes in the digest, the other reference to this is very vague. I was confused too at first and couldn't understand why a tough creature like a groundhog would be limited to a .22 airgun when you can hunt them in most of the state with a high powered rifle. Special Regulation areas with powder burner limitations are mostly limited to archery plus .22 rimfire, and shotguns for powder burners. The regulation is still not really very specific. If they wanted to be more precise they could limit groundhog calibers, say with a minimum .22 to a maximum of .30 calibers or something more definitive. I don't think I'd care to have guys with a .50 cal airgun hunting groundhogs in a crowded population Special Reg. area. We all know there would likely be someone that would do that if it was legal.

Paul 

"Arms & Ammunition

1) Manually operated and semiautomatic 10-gauge or less

shotguns with a capacity of no more than 3 shells in the chamber

and magazine combined; 2) Manually operated and semiautomatic

rifles and manually operated handguns 22-caliber

rimfire or less; 3) Air-guns for small game in calibers from .177

to .22, for woodchucks at least 22-caliber, that propel a single projectile

or bullet. BB ammunition is prohibited. 4) Muzzleloading

rifles and handguns 40-caliber or less, and shotguns

10-gauge or less; and 5) Long, recurve and compound bows

and arrows, and crossbows. Single-projectile ammunition,

or fine shot pellets no larger than No. 4 lead, bismuth-tin, or

tungsten-iron, or other approved non-toxic shot or No. 2 steel.

There is no restriction on magazine capacity for semiautomatic

rifles used to hunt small game.

Note: Rifle and handgun caliber restrictions (except air-guns)

do not apply when hunting woodchucks."

I shot .22 air rifles for several years (discrete urban pest control). Then I tried a .25. Sold the .22, bought the .25 and never looked back. If you can find a .22 that can shoot the JSB Redesigned 25 gr pellet around 870 fps, then you are approaching .25 cal ballistics.

If you have fat fingers .25 are easier to grab and load than .22s.

More FPE for FPS vs .22. 

.25 kills vermin more deader than.22 can kill them.

Ditto on fat fingers AND .25 knocks the crap out of a critter better. If you go the slug route you'll likely end up spending LOTS of time and MONEY trying to get the right slug for your barrel. Don't fall for that silly game unless you are willing to gamble that YOUR barrel shoots slugs or you are willing to cut the choke off of it or buy a new barrel. I love shooting .22 but the go to for critters is .25

Here's what a Taipan Vet.25 PELLET does that .22 PELLET won't do...

https://youtu.be/Vz2HboQ-tU8

Love that video!

1f62c.svg
1f44e.svg

...to be more clear, outlawed on state land, which is where most of us have to hunt...

...I don't know how the law would feel aboot me shooting a .25 in my back yard though...it is most likely an infraction...

...I don't think it is much different than shooting a .22lr as far as safety is concerned...this is something I am not comfortable doing...

...back before legislation shooting a "pellet gun" in the back yard was not illegal per se...

...discharging a fire arm always has been illegal in this urban area...

To be clear, shooting (for hunting) anything above a .177 on State land in CT is outlawed, so a .22 is illegal as well. (Amazingly, .17 HMR is allowed, even though the Kinetic energy is way above most airguns or .22LR).

I shoot all my airguns (.177 to .30) in my yard in a CT shoreline town. Now, my neighbors are a bit further away than some, since I have some Land Trust property on one side and about 4 acres the other way, but in MOST CT towns (I can’t speak to the big cities - Bridgeport, Hartford, New Haven, etc.) there is no restriction on shooting airguns. Of course common sense and a safe backstop (or lots of woods) applies. Pissing off ones neighbors because of noise, or the occasional pellet through the kitchen window, is never a good idea.

And, elh0102, it’s actuallylly pretty nice here when the temperature is higher than last nights 12F 🥶

Chris

It's the price of .25 ammo that keeps me away. I can get pretty good .22 lr ammo for what they want for the .25.

Hi, Pyramyd Air has 25cal JSB 25.39gr pellets are about 5 cents a pellet (buy 4 get one tin free). Where can you buy 22LR ammo for that price?

You really can’t compare the two. A real gun should be more expensive to shoot. That little gold shell pushes a 40gr projectile faster than any pellet gun can with far less aggravation.

.25 - advantage 

• More energy at the muzzle
  • More mass to hit the target (terminal energy). 
  • thought to buck the wind better than .22 over long distances (many of the top end benchrest shooters are headed for .30 cal, heavier yet)

.25 disadvantage

• Cost - 350 per tin vs 500 .22 per tin at same cost. so for JSB's at $19 per tin, .25 is $0.054 (5.4 cents US) per pellet vs $0.038 (3.8 Cents) per pellet.
  • Fewer types of pellets available, or slower introduction of new types of ammunition. More people tend to have .22. so new stuff comes out in .22 first.
  • fewer shots per tank. More frequent refills

If you are shooting up to a racoon, a well placed .22 will drop it just as quickly as a well placed .25 shot. If long range shooting, go for a .30 cal. Just depends on what you are doing with your shooting which is better.

I have a .25 and quite like it, just bought a .22 and quite like it. Both fit me. Sorry can't be more help