• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is the maurader the quietest pcp under 600?

So is it ? Is it the best under 1000? I only ask because I own a field and target marauder in 177 and it is really quiet. I put a donny fl on it and it sounded the same. I also have a gamo urban. It is not quiet and im a little irritated with rick ustler for claiming it was mouse fart quiet. Im in the market for a sub 1000 dollar rifle hunting rifle in 22 or possibly 25. Really if i can get a 14.3g crossman premiere to fly 800 im happy so i can hunt cheap. Already got a 25 condor so powers not important. Thanks

Just like the name of the under pants you will be likely wearing in your old age, it "depends".

"Quietness" starts with tuning. Any airgun that has the valve open for longer then the pellet is in the barrel will be louder then one that closes with the pellet only 1/2 way down the barrel.

If you "tune" your gamo urban you can likely get it "mouse fart" quiet with the stock pickle. "Over spring" any PCP and you will get noise.

Since your MRod did not get much quieter with the addition it is likely tuned for it's best efficiency. If you want to do an experiment try turning the hammer spring all the way in on your Mrod and shoot with stock and then with the mod. I think you will see a difference then.

In my humble opinion, yes. I’ve owned from Marauders to Impacts. For the money, the marauder is as quiet. Of course, caliber has an effect on quiet as well. (i.e 177 is going to more quiet than larger calibers) 

And there is always the option to add an extended airstripper to bring it down even more but there is a point of diminishing return. Keep in mind, the sound the shooter hears is not the same as someone on the peripheral or down range. 

One thing to consider is the tune of any gun. Once a pellet approaches the sound barrier (about 1050 fps at my altitude), no matter what you do to the gun, the supersonic crack will always be loud. Keep it slooooooo and no problem.

Example, some of the 12 foot pound guns shooting at 650 or 700 fps don't really need moderators or baffles, just quiet naturally. Tune matters

All good points except dude that is defending the urban. I will start by saying the urban was definitely worth it for 250 bucks new. Its accurate its got a good feel and I actually prefer it to the maurader for long hunting days. That being said "the urban sounds loud to you but not other people around" is rediculous. If its loud its loud and if its not its not. I dont doubt standing in a certain place might change the way it sounds but thats besides the point entirely. Anyway I will try some tuning to try to fix it. Ill play with spring tension and If i have to ill get a lighter spring and fill at lower pressure. It wouldn't break my heart to tune it similarly to the disco. I like the idea of filling to 2000 psi as I use a yong heng compressor to fill my tanks and its a long process Anyways thanks guys even to the urban defender lol.