• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is taipan veteran affected to change POI?

I found a tutorial from Ernest on Tallon forum some years back how correct tighten screws... 

Original sentence:

I filled the AT to top off pressure 245 bars and I also taped the trigger and safety pin so they don't fall out again. Using a Wheelers torque wrench I started on the bottom row of hex screws and compete each row before moving on to the next row in blue first, yellow second and red last. I starting from 5 in/lbs and increased the wrench by 1/2 turn with each sequence until I reached 20 in/lbs. I went back and torqued the middle row in yellow again.

1591476598_13932421845edc017688cc32.53067749.jpg

These are the words directly from the mouth of Wilhelm, the man assembling Taipan Veterans.. 
**It is very important to tighten the screws - Starting At The Bottom**

https://youtu.be/R8qcvqd8_No?t=420

He's starting assembly of the barrel brace / scope rail assembly at that part of the video.. 
Not longer after, he'll spin the bolt down - Then Start Tightening Them.

At 9:12 you'll hear him explain. At 9:26 you'll hear Vishal, as he helps translate for us all.

🙂👍 

Sam -

IF there is a specific method of assembly and tightening in place - It's usually for a reason! 
In this case, keeping the components square / true [and that could affect alignment]

If not done in the recommended / specified order, issues can and will occur.

**** [EDIT] ****

You showed that you worked from bottom to top, however, also showed tightening in a 'cross pattern'. 
Left outer, Right outer, then Left inner, then Right inner.

When Wilhelm does the assembly / tightening of this section, he works from bottom to top, but, 
he also just works from Left To Right. Then moves up to the middle row - Left To Right.. Then top row - Left To Right.

No poi change with mine. Haven't swapped scopes in over a year and I've still got the same zero in that same time frame. Shot it for the first time in around 8 weeks day before yesterday and was killing critters, didn't even verify poi before because I just know that it can be trusted. 

Very reliable poi with the Veteran, messing with those screws in your pic would probably change that though. 

My Veteran POI has been very stable, maybe the best of any rifle I've owned. Regarding the assembly process and sequence of tightening the screws, it might be one of those things we can overthink. I've had the barrel off of mine for cleaning, and I loosened the top eight screws. As with most assemblies containing numerous fasteners, they should be brought to the desired torque in a uniform manner. Beyond that, I don't think the precise sequence is critical. I had not heard of this specific recommendation at the time, and can't remember the sequence I used in tightening them. I believe the goal is to avoid ending up with uneven stresses on the assembled pieces, and how that is accomplished can vary. Just my opinion. 

That man has assembled thousands of these rifles, his torque driver is his hand! And honestly, that's good enough if you're experienced. I don't know what torque value they recommend, but I'm sure 20-25 in/lbs is sufficient, and that range has a distinct and repeatable feel using one hand with a familiar driver or wrench. I actually liked the method used in the second video. The assembler verified that the action was square in the stock before his final tightening, and also verified the trigger linkage connection. 

But Ernest did this tutorial may be 5 years ago :) The men in production doesn't have moment key and he working with no pressure in At. Ernest suggest to fill at 245bar. I would like to know if all users of taipan does not have any change poi?

... and I can understand what he said because it is Czech language :)

Octavius, I had to go look to see where you were from..
Niiice! It's cool to know that you could most definitely understand what Wil was saying! 😀👍

Both he and Ernest may be doing things a bit differently, but, they're both also masters of their craft,
so both methods will get the job done. [And both of those methods are also proven effective also]

I forgot to mention before.. 
I had a Taipan Veteran "Shorty" in .25 cal. It was sooo much fun. POI was always 100%
That gun was extremely accurate and consistent. And the trigger was absolutely amazing!
[I sold it, but, Only due to the caliber. I always shot .22 cal Exclusively.. Tried .25 and just didn't like it. Also too powerful for indoor shooting]
The Vet was such a favorite of mine that I definitely plan on getting another one. Just in .22 cal the next time around!

🙂 

Sam -

Octavius I think you are thinking too much, I had a Taipan Veteran for 2 years, and never changed a single o-ring, I think I cleaned the barrel 1 or 2 times only, and the gun was always spot on. You won't need to open it (unless you really want to) you have a very reliable gun.

My gun in particular didn't liked the H&N Field Target Trophy pellets, also the Baracuda Hunter Extreme were spiraling at around 875 fps, but the gun loved the Polymags, JSB King, Nielsen Slugs were grouping really well (36gr slugs)

Enjoy your gun, and share with us those great groups, I love reading about this gun, I'm a bit sentimental about it, to me it's like a child that left home....

Ohh I almost forgot to tell you, I don't know how many pellets have you put through it yet, but if your gun still breaking in, wait until you have done 1000 or so, it will be even better!

Orion I have the Cricket cal.22 7 years now and I really know what I talking about. I had POI shift with the cricket all an-abase is on tallon forum :) I just wanted be sure about non exist that phenomenon on Veteran. :) eventually be ready to solve it. I´m not new to PCP but I'm still learning new things.

EDIT: I forgot answer to Orion. Till now I put through the Veteran let say 500 pieces of pellet.

As far as my Ukrainian 22 long goes, the point of impressiveness, poi, remains sky high. It’s worthy of being displayed in the Smithsonian, in the engineering vs cost department. I’ve not adjusted anything on mine since I bought it from the fine folks at R&L. They asked what speed I wanted and that’s the speed I got. They’ll have to pry mine out of my cold dead hands.

Same here on the Ukrainian .22 Long with the CZ barrel. Took it out of the box, tuned it down to about 820 with the 15.89 JSB's, lightened the trigger, and have done nothing else in almost two years other than clean the barrel. Shoots sub MOA at 100 yd when I do my part. I am so scared I might mess something up that I don't even handle it too much! Taipan: Shoot, smile. repeat.