• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is my puppy going to be fine after this?

Ruff.... Ruff Howser. Hes a good dog..... When he feels like it. One thing hes got down pat is the get it part. The squirrel hits just hits the ground and hes nailed it, fast. He says he likes crushing there bones between his jaws..🤤.

Ya, he gets excited and wants to play keep a way but a little work on that he pretty much now brings it to my side.. hes a good little guy .
One trick for stopping the game of "chase" is to keep a drag line on the dog. Just a long thin cord that won't get tangled up. The length depends on the dog, it needs to be long enough that you can get close enough to step on it. Then just reach down grab it and gently reel them in while saying "come" "bring it" or whatever command you want to use. Once they get there, love on them and be all excited about their retrieve. With some dogs it helps to trade them a treat for the game, but different people have different opinions on bribing a dog, for doing its job. Clicker training can be a good tool for all training if you care to look into it.
Ruff.... Ruff Howser. Hes a good dog..... When he feels like it. One thing hes got down pat is the get it part. The squirrel hits just hits the ground and hes nailed it, fast. He says he likes crushing there bones between his jaws..🤤.

Ya, he gets excited and wants to play keep a way but a little work on that he pretty much now brings it to my side.. hes a good little guy .

Reactions: ZedCee
One trick for stopping the game of "chase" is to keep a drag line on the dog. Just a long thin cord that won't get tangled up. The length depends on the dog, it needs to be long enough that you can get close enough to step on it. Then just reach down grab it and gently reel them in while saying "come" "bring it" or whatever command you want to use. Once they get there, love on them and be all excited about their retrieve. With some dogs it helps to trade them a treat for the game, but different people have different opinions on bribing a dog, for doing its job. Clicker training can be a good tool for all training if you care to look into it.
Ya, i use a long lead , but you got to try to stop using it then use comand. Nothing but spending the time to work with him and patience.

Hes still young and excited . Its good he takes a out going intrest in doing things at least not a lump on a stump pet. We had a funny treeing thing yesterday . One of them i wish i had a vid camera running ..lol. He just dont get the squirrls a tad smarter then him ..lol.

Ya, its nice when your pet like to go out and do stuff with ya.

Ya, i use a long lead , but you got to try to stop using it then use comand. Nothing but spending the time to work with him and patience.

Hes still young and excited . Its good he takes a out going intrest in doing things at least not a lump on a stump pet. We had a funny treeing thing yesterday . One of them i wish i had a vid camera running ..lol. He just dont get the squirrls a tad smarter then him ..lol.

Ya, its nice when your pet like to go out and do stuff with yab

Ya, its nice when your pet like to go out and do stuff with ya.
You are right the leash has to come off eventually. What I like to do is go from a long drag line, to a medium, to a short, to a line that just barely drags the ground. I find dogs respond better to grabbing the short "handle" than grabbing a collar. I also like e-collars for off leash control. Like you say though the key thing is putting in the time and effort.

It's definitely fun having a "working pet". A couple of mine are hard hitters on pigs but softies around the house. One of these days I might be heart broken by their chosen game, but it's something watching them work, so I keep driving them to the woods.

You are right the leash has to come off eventually. What I like to do is go from a long drag line, to a medium, to a short, to a line that just barely drags the ground. I find dogs respond better to grabbing the short "handle" than grabbing a collar. I also like e-collars for off leash control. Like you say though the key thing is putting in the time and effort.

It's definitely fun having a "working pet". A couple of mine are hard hitters on pigs but softies around the house. One of these days I might be heart broken by their chosen game, but it's something watching them work, so I keep driving them to the woods.
The e colloor i bern thinking on to correct another night time habit when he gets carried away unsupervised..lol. Last night was one of them times . Man i was getting pissed.. lol and when i caught up to him he knew it too . Bad dog, bad..

The e colloor i bern thinking on to correct another night time habit when he gets carried away unsupervised..lol. Last night was one of them times . Man i was getting pissed.. lol and when i caught up to him he knew it too . Bad dog, bad..
E-collars can be great, but they take thought and some training of the handler. It takes a lot of observation and thinking to properly use them as each dog will react differently. They also are so easy to use one can apply too much punishment easily. If you do get one I'd recommend one with a "beeper" warning function. You can train a return command with the sound, or simply use it as a warning. They also make track and train gps/shock collars which are great, but pricey. I also recommend use the collar on yourself, like on your bare leg, and not giving your dog any more electricity than you are willing to give yourself.

E-collars can be great, but they take thought and some training of the handler. It takes a lot of observation and thinking to properly use them as each dog will react differently. They also are so easy to use one can apply too much punishment easily. If you do get one I'd recommend one with a "beeper" warning function. You can train a return command with the sound, or simply use it as a warning. They also make track and train gps/shock collars which are great, but pricey. I also recommend use the collar on yourself, like on your bare leg, and not giving your dog any more electricity than you are willing to give yourself.

Ya, i thought on one for uears but never gone through with it..

Like last night it was dark and cold and i was well settled in for the night . Then je decided to chace somthing . Coon , rabbit , armadillo? But went what i call out of bounds then ignored me calling i had to get a flashlight and tromp through the pasture to gather him up wile he thought it was fun wnd games.. i would of mashed the remote button of a e collar with out reserve..lol.. id felt bad on that after the fact overall.. he knows by my expression alone he done bad.. thats good enugh 99% of the time

When I was training my rescue hound to do her business outside I kept little dog treats in my watch pocket of my jeans when we would go on walks. Whenever she went outside she got a treat. She got scolded when she went in the house. It did not take long and treats are no longer necessary.

She will bring me squirrels when I tell her repeatedly to do it but she really wants to run off with them. I may use the treats as her incentive for awhile.

In behavior modification they taught us that the best reinforcement was Positive, Immediate, and Certain (PIC). NICs are the next best.

When I was training my rescue hound to do her business outside I kept little dog treats in my watch pocket of my jeans when we would go on walks. Whenever she went outside she got a treat. She got scolded when she went in the house. It did not take long and treats are no longer necessary.

She will bring me squirrels when I tell her repeatedly to do it but she really wants to run off with them. I may use the treats as her incentive for awhile.

In behavior modification they taught us that the best reinforcement was Positive, Immediate, and Certain (PIC). NICs are the next best.
If you are planning to use treats then ween them off, I'd recommend looking into clicker training. Basically it's a noise device you pair with the treats, they start associating the noise with the positive feeling of food and you can use the noise as its own reward. (Pavlovian response). It's also good for training more complex skills is small steps. For instance you say "load up" and they walk towards to truck ,click and treat. After a few times "load up" they walk towards the truck, but no click and treat until they sniff the tailgate. Then nothing until they put their paws up, then nothing until they load up.