• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Is a used rifle supposed to be perfect. If stated it does not have problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not much into selling, I'm a consumer and I guess a hoarder. I do occasionally give one away, but my point is, I have cleaned them up, using a sharpie on scratched aluminum, I don't know that you could see it in photos.
I have seen plenty of sharpie, i dont just because you can see it, and it always looks like a cover up.

Reactions: .20calguy
Fact 1: Seller claims he didn't paint the airtube, buyer feels confident it was recently painted.

Fact 2: The gouge SHOULD have a close up included in the sale pic considering the severity...

Fact 3: Air tube being of a different finish than factory is indisputable, and should of been disclosed as original pictures don't clearly show this. Anyone famliar with s510's know they are blued steel. I had to really zoom into his photos to get a vague idea that the airtube did not still have its original blued finish.

If you can't take this critique, you really shouldn't sell more used items, regardless of your history. Not sure why you're selling so many airguns anyways seeing your post history, if you have such experience you should know things can go sour when selling a used gun with so much history.
The gouge i just forgot, i never looked at it due it sitting up on my dresser. I wasnt told about it when i bought it nor did i care, it was used. As for the airtube, i dont paint and I had no clue it even was painted at any time. It was my first Air Arms and had no clue it to be different than it is supposed to be. I am fine with the critique.

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
Only he didn't refund the buyer' s money, Paypal did after apparently the op laughed at the buyer' s request for a refund.
Low price or not, that is irrelevant. Buyer asked if " anything " was wrong with the rifle, I would consider gauges in the air tube and sharpie cover ups to qualify as " something ".
I don't use Paypal, but could this be merely semantics? If the seller agrees to a refund after the buyer has filed a dispute, would the documentation look any different? As I understand it, Paypal controls the funds (one reason I never use it), so would a refund not have to come from that source? I have no experience with it, just wondering.

The gouge i just forgot, i never looked at it due it sitting up on my dresser. I wasnt told about it when i bought it nor did i care, it was used. As for the airtube, i dont paint and I had no clue it even was painted at any time. It was my first Air Arms and had no clue it to be different than it is supposed to be. I am fine with the critique.
I was sitting here thinking, if this is how you received the used gun when you bought it, why didn’t you start a topic about how the guy you bought it from tried polishing a turd. Then I thought about the two used rifles I purchased here for a friends son. When I received them, I just said ok dude, you got me. Bottom line, we all handle things differently. And to be fair, both guns I bought were not upper tier guns. They were going to get beat up anyway. But your buyer wanted a beauty at a bargain price, or at least at a decent price and was understandably disappointed. On a positive note, if you paid 8 or $900 for it and you were ok with it looking like that, money is not an issue for you. So sell it cheap with full disclosure. Theres someone right now that will be happy with that gun for the right price. I remember a used Lelya on here for sale. It looked like a blind guy owned it and used it as his walking stick. Maybe the dude was a night hunter. Either way the pictures showed everything and it sold.

Never been to a show. If it is full of people from this forum, i will pass. I am dome with it all once i get my rifle back
You should have taken better pictures and/or had a better description.

It’s not the forum members here, it’s you. Your ad was less than candid.

I have had a few "questionable " buyer deals over the years. Nothing catastrophically disastrous. However, not the way I would have sold them.
Worse of all, bought a couple sets of rings. The post had pics from 2 feet away. Poster stated "good condition" and I asked for several follow up picks with a selfie.
Long story short, below is a pic of a couple of the rings I received. Also, addtional accessories were missing, from my understanding of the deal. I found them unacceptable and questioned the seller. His response was "return them or keep them IDC." I returned them. All's well that ends well.

IMG_20230516_073755.jpgIMG_20230516_073839.jpg

Last edited:
I have seen plenty of sharpie, i dont just because you can see it, and it always looks like a cover up.
It is a cover up, but I tolerate it better than the previous condition. For example, my Sheridan came back from a repair shop with some shipping damage. I hammered it out on the anvil, and sharpied it. Done!

20230424_210612.jpg

Reactions: Scotay42
It has never changed from the first time you saw it. It will never be for sale again, do not worry. If he wanted more pictures i would have gladly gave them. I gave as much for the bare rifle as he paid for the package.
I can’t say definitely but that gun looks like the one that was on here awhile back for 550 that I was pissed I missed out on. The mark in the stock looks super familiar but who knows I am just speculating. I guess the buyer learned a lesson too. I guess he should go drop 1800 bones on a new one to be sure what he was getting.

I can’t say definitely but that gun looks like the one that was on here awhile back for 550 that I was pissed I missed out on. The mark in the stock looks super familiar but who knows I am just speculating. I guess the buyer learned a lesson too. I guess he should go drop 1800 bones on a new one to be sure what he was getting.

So hes a flipper/reseller? Clearly seems so based on his post history. Not a fan of that behavior in this community personally...

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
I don't use Paypal, but could this be merely semantics? If the seller agrees to a refund after the buyer has filed a dispute, would the documentation look any different? As I understand it, Paypal controls the funds (one reason I never use it), so would a refund not have to come from that source? I have no experience with it, just wondering.
If paypal decides in favor of the buyer, which is 99% of the time the money is deducted from the sellers account. If the sellers account has a zero balance then his "back-up" funding source gets whacked for the money..

The issue, well one of them, I have with paypal is the 99% favoritism for the buyer .
Unfortunately, in today's world there are some VERY shady, hell i will say it thieves, that take advantage of this BS policy of Paypal.

I am NOT saying the buyer in this case was a scumbag, that's not what my reply is about at all. There was an obvious disconnect between seller and buyer on this deal

I have a retail website based business that has been around for over 20 years, unfortunately paypal is a necessary evil...
Over the years i have come across some real scumbags... I have fought the illegitimate claims of such scumbags and won.. Was it it easy, HELL No ...

I know all too well that you better list every little detail as a seller in today's world.....

If paypal decides in favor of the buyer, which is 99% of the time the money is deducted from the sellers account. If the sellers account has a zero balance then his "back-up" funding source gets whacked for the money..

The issue, well one of them, I have with paypal is the 99% favoritism for the buyer .
Unfortunately, in today's world there are some VERY shady, hell i will say it thieves, that take advantage of this BS policy of Paypal.

I am NOT saying the buyer in this case was a scumbag, that's not what my reply is about at all. There was an obvious disconnect between seller and buyer on this deal

I have a retail website based business that has been around for over 20 years, unfortunately paypal is a necessary evil...
Over the years i have come across some real scumbags... I have fought the illegitimate claims of such scumbags and won.. Was it it easy, HELL No ...

I know all too well that you better list every little detail as a seller in today's world.....
You are spot on about PayPal. They always side with the buyer and there are def buyers that make fraudulent PayPal claims. Really why feedback even on a buyer is crucial.

If used rifles were supposed to be perfect, how would companies sell so many new rifles aside from the incentives of a fresh manufacturer's warranty and possibly the option to return a gun for whatever reason deemed acceptable by the vendor? I think that's an unrealistic expectation. The tradeoff seems to be acceptance of a used product for a discounted price. From used cars, clothes, tools, shoes, etc I don't think it's realistic to expect things to not have flaws. In the event that they do not, then consider yourself a winner in the exchange. Now if a seller lies or fails to disclose pertinent information, then I would hope that they have some sense of decency to work with a dissatisfied buyer. I've had several minor issues buying used guns and most often the sellers were very helpful and accommodating without mediation.

Last edited:
Just curious, since i am menatlly handicapped according to who i sold a rifle to.
your responsability is to tell everything you know that is a problem or not as it would be when NEW.. Otherwise your a DIRT BAG. Ive had this happen to me recently and the person just sluffed it off as still a good deal. What a DIRT BAG.. We all should be Way beyond this type of Behavior...My purchase had cuts and damage marks on the inside Delrin bushing along with other gouges from not knowing how to take the gun apart. Makes you have to inspect every little part..

Last edited:
So hes a flipper/reseller? Clearly seems so based on his post history. Not a fan of that behavior in this community personally...
I trade mainly. I sold it with a $600 bare rifle price on a $1400 rifle. Not flipping anything or even making a dollar, actually losing $. I traded for the rifle items that i had $800 invested in so that is what i put into it as a bare rifle. Since we are judging today, continue on sir.

Reactions: Stubbers
I trade mainly. I sold it with a $600 bare rifle price on a $1400 rifle. Not flipping anything or even making a dollar, actually losing $. I traded for the rifle items that i had $800 invested in so that is what i put into it as a bare rifle. Since we are judging today, continue on sir.

No judgement, I asked, you answered. You leave a trail similar to that of a flipper, and you airing your laundry out in public only opens up that door.

Gl with your future trades.

GougeView attachment 356877

Painted over blued air tube. Still smells like paint! Now I know why you took an extra day to ship. Gotta let that spray paint dry
View attachment 356878

Oops some paint dripped on the receiver
View attachment 356879

What used rifle isn’t complete without a little sharpie
View attachment 356880

Now I can accept a little wear and tear. As there are more small marks that are negligible. But the gouge and paint job should’ve been disclosed.

I haven't been posting or even looking at the forum for the past several months, but have signed on the finish selling my stuff. Decided I may as well weigh in on this situation.

Back on April 17th the OP posted an ad for this gun. His first pic CLEARLY shows the gouge in the shroud as well as the "paint run" on the receiver that you are implying he had to delay shipping to complete drying. His 3rd pic in that post also appears (when enlarged) to show the paint on tube.
It's hard to tell if the sharpie is there due to a shadow on the gun.

His most recent ad (posted on May4th) does clearly show the "sharpie" on the receiver, as well as both of the other items shown in the first ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.