• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

is a 177 or a 22 better for shooting birds in tall trees

Didn't mean to post this twice and don't knoknow how to take it off I have a 177 and I do a bit of shooting in big tall trees and would like to know what would be the best for the job the 177 or a 22. My 177 is a BSA meteor evo and shoots at 950 fps it is a snap open. I have hit some birds mostly crows and the don’t always drop I was wondering if a 22 would be better for it. But most of the trees are tall like 35 to 45 meters. Thanks 

MOD edit: moved to Hunting

Correct me if I am wrong , But shooting up at 35 45 degree angle the 177 pellets has really no energy coming back down to earth, The 22 with a little more mass has more weight and can cause a little damage coming down, The 25 even more weight and energy on its way down to earth ,,,,
If your in a open area and shooting up in the air a 25 is a much better killer than a 22,
But to answer your question yes the 22 is better, In 177 try the polymags or a good hollow point like the Crossman Piranha if you can get them to shoot good in your gun.
If it was me, I would try the heaviest 177 I could find and see if I could do some tight groups at 45 meters ,
If not then move up the scale with a 22 or better yet a 25 cal
Mike

"iride"Correct me if I am wrong , But shooting up at 35 45 degree angle the 177 pellets has really no energy coming back down to earth, The 22 with a little more mass has more weight and can cause a little damage coming down, The 25 even more weight and energy on its way down to earth ,,,,
If your in a open area and shooting up in the air a 25 is a much better killer than a 22,
But to answer your question yes the 22 is better, In 177 try the polymags or a good hollow point like the Crossman Piranha if you can get them to shoot good in your gun.
If it was me, I would try the heaviest 177 I could find and see if I could do some tight groups at 45 meters ,
If not then move up the scale with a 22 or better yet a 25 cal
Mike
Thanks for you help I I think that that would be right. What sort of shooting and what sort of gun do u have I might get a 22. Thanks a lot mike:)

"iride"I have a 22 cricket, a 25 cricket set up exact like my 22, same scope and all.
I also have a 22 mutant ,
I have a rule because of the price of the guns , a two gun PCP limit,
The mutant shorty 22 changed that rule. Its that good. 
Mike
Where u from and what's the best 22 that u would recommend. What sort of pellet and what's the cost of the 22 pellets (never looked) thanks sorry for all the questions:)

Go on line and order a pyramid air catalog, I think they are free, All kinds of pellets in the back. Its always a good read also ,
I do not know your budget so its hard to recommend a 22,
I like bull pups and if it was me I would save up and buy a Mutant short, But that's a PCP gun.
I hear everyone talking about how good the TX200 is , I never shot one and turned my back on springer's a long time ago.
I am sure someone more qualified than me can help you out with a spring gun.
Keep asking questions
Mike
Odessa, Tx,

For shooting up to crow-sized birds out of 45m tall trees, I think .177 is still your best bet, and it sounds like your gun is plenty powerful. What you have to be careful of is shot placement. 

I would also recommend trying some expanding ammo from your gun. On bird-sized game, I've had great luck with H&N Baracuda Hunters. Lots of folks love Predator PolyMags. Those pellets do a great job of expanding, once inside the game, and causing a lot more damage than a domed pellet would.

.22 would be good, but are much more dangerous coming down, in case of a miss.

"Smaug"For shooting up to crow-sized birds out of 45m tall trees, I think .177 is still your best bet, and it sounds like your gun is plenty powerful. What you have to be careful of is shot placement. 

I would also recommend trying some expanding ammo from your gun. On bird-sized game, I've had great luck with H&N Baracuda Hunters. Lots of folks love Predator PolyMags. Those pellets do a great job of expanding, once inside the game, and causing a lot more damage than a domed pellet would.

.22 would be good, but are much more dangerous coming down, in case of a miss.
I have been waiting to use all my ammo that I have now and I will try the h&n barracuda hunter and where I am I don't have to worry about when the pellet is combing down. Thanks I will have to try the h&n pellets.
tom