• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Iron Sight Options for Astigmatism

Bought an R7 for some sub 20 yard shooting / pest control. Obviously has the front globe sight and rear blade sight. However, with the astigmatism I have in both eyes combined with the contacts I have to wear for it, I can't see crap when trying to shoot with iron sights. Black front sight / black rear sight when put on a target or squirrel head just disappears or my eyes go back and forth on focusing on front/rear sights.

So, I put a scope on it, but feel that doing so has really defeated the purpose of this little rifle.Anybody with similar vision issues successfully used a rear peep sight combined with a painted globe insert and still maintained great accuracy? 

Don't wanna throw another $80 at it trying out a peep if it's not gonna do much for me.

I use a 2-7x32 scope on my detuned Crosman NP rifle. Since it is a 25-and-under yard gun the 2-7 really works well. It's a Barska (Forgive me, @joewaynerhea, for that scope transgression) with an adjustable objective down to 5 yards so a pesting set-up is ideal. I too am unable to use iron sights effectively do to my eyesight limitations. I did put a 4x32 scope on my Daisy/Avanti 10-meter gun and it makes all the difference in my level of enjoyment shooting indoors. But for all-around situations, both indoor and out at the range, the 2-7x32 really makes my NP come alive.

txaggie929,

Your eye doctor is the one most qualified to recommend the appropriate sights for your condition. Before you spend any more money, contact your eye doctor. He/she might be able to give you a simple consult over the phone after reviewing your chart. A workable solution might be as simple as making the front and rear sight of contrasting colors.

You say you put a scope on it. Please tell us what scope. For sure it needs to have either an adjustable objective or focus wheel for parallax correction. 

Please also tell us why you think that a scope "defeats the purpose" of your R7.

The purpose of my R7 is pest control (shooting sparrows out of my purple martin houses up to 30 yards without damaging my houses). It works damn good. But I wouldn't even think of trying it without a good scope. With a good scope properly focused (parallax corrected), I can literally watch my pellet in flight nearly all the way to the sparrow. I'm over 60 and require glasses now. For over 35 years, this little R7 has been my pride and joy and has amply filled it's purpose. But it has always had a good scope on it. Even when I had perfect 20/10 vision!

Why are you averse to putting a scope on it?

Very curious.

BeemanR7

"BeemanR7"txaggie929,
Your eye doctor is the one most qualified to recommend the appropriate sights for your condition. Before you spend any more money, contact your eye doctor. He/she might be able to give you a simple consult over the phone after reviewing your chart. A workable solution might be as simple as making the front and rear sight of contrasting colors.
You say you put a scope on it. Please tell us what scope. For sure it needs to have either an adjustable objective or focus wheel for parallax correction. 
Please also tell us why you think that a scope "defeats the purpose" of your R7.
The purpose of my R7 is pest control (shooting sparrows out of my purple martin houses up to 30 yards without damaging my houses). It works damn good. But I wouldn't even think of trying it without a good scope. With a good scope properly focused (parallax corrected), I can literally watch my pellet in flight nearly all the way to the sparrow. I'm over 60 and require glasses now. For over 35 years, this little R7 has been my pride and joy and has amply filled it's purpose. But it has always had a good scope on it. Even when I had perfect 20/10 vision!
Why are you averse to putting a scope on it?
Very curious.
BeemanR7
I have consulted with my eye doc previously. Because I wear contacts for astigmatism, they rotate on the eyes to allow for focusing. However, as you attempt to focus and get a sight picture, the moment you blink, the focus can & does change. Thus, you rarely get a good sight picture.

I already put a scope on it....I had a BSA 4-14 Mil/Mil FFP scope sitting around. Threw it in a 1-piece mount and sighted it in. I'm sure its a bit overkill, but it does work.

Just kinda wanted a point and shoot with irons, especially for closer shots. However, I may just have to put a lower power 2-7 scope or something similar on it.

Was just seeing what other may have done who have a similar situation.

"Choc"Would an inexpensive red dot sight fit and be usable? I haven't used one but it looks like it would provide good contrast. On Amazon there are some with good reviews for $10-17.
I also have astigmatism the VA eye doctor gave me new eyeglasses that help 80% but not as well as I was before I was diagnosed with it. Forget about using a red dot the dot appears as an ameba shaped blob the new glasses helped a bit the red dot sights will get you in the neighborhood but you will be off a little.

This gadget helps when your eyes can’t focus on the front and rear sight.
http://m.eabco.com/merit_apertures.html

you can do a test using a business card using a sewing needle make a series of different size pin holes in card spaces out where you can look through 1 hole when card is held against your glasses. If this works in making the sights sharper the merit gadget will help and the pin hole is adjustable. Another thing about this business card with the pinhole if you need reading glasses and you forgot them just put a pin hole in a business card and you can look through hole and be able to read and you’ll finally have a use for the business card your brother in law gave you.