• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Into other expensive hobbies ?

I rode for years when I was younger. I rode home from Duluth MN to the Twin Cities in a blizzard once on a Honda 350, lol. On the plus side I was the only one stupid enough to be on the road at that time. I was also wearing my scuba diving suit.
I've never rode in a blizzard but I did commute year round to and from work. 14f up to 114f rain , snow, 1 thing I will never do again is ride in a hail storm. That hurts!!! I've almost been blown off the road. Most milage I ever got on a bike was 136,000 miles on a Yamaha FZ1. Would've put more but it got totalled when a woman made a left hand turn and used me for a hood ordament. My last bike was a 98 cbr1100xx that I bought in 2010 with just 1160 miles on it. When it sold it had some where between 96k to 98k. Can't remember which. I figured up I've traveled around 500k miles on a street bike and no idea how many on a dirt/dualsport bike. So to say I've spent a lot on motorcycles is an understatement.lol Heck, I didn't get my first car until I was 21.

Reactions: Phil.Probe
The most expensive hobby in my life: rennovating my home. We can't afford to pay others to do the work, so part of the expense is my time.

Alternatively, one of my least-expensive hobbies. I pick up rocks on my walks, bring them home and tumble them. I bought the rock tumbler to be able to manufacture things like gunpowder, but I mostly use it to put the most presentable face on rocks.

Like many others here, I'm into R/C aircraft, both large scale planes and helicopters. And I'm into restoring an old jalopy or two when I find something special. Right now I have a completed 1972 Nova SS and a 1972 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow. Both were local "barn finds". Did a full ground-up restoration on both. Spent a couple of years on each. Had a lot of help. I like to take the Rolls through the drive-thru at Burger King and ask if I can get some Grey Poupon Mustard with my Whopper. I always get a laugh with that one.

72-Nova.jpg

72-ss-lwb.jpg

Last edited:
I’m a competitive bass fisherman and it honestly makes airguns seem cheap.
You got that right!! Between tourny entry fees, hotel rooms, gas for the boat, gas for the truck, insurance, endless supply of baits, multiple states license fees. Almost all the 30+ rigs I have in my boat at any one time are almost all Loomis rods and Shimano reels. And finally the boat which can easily cost $75,000 on up by the time it's all rigged out with the outboard, trolling motor, electronics, power poles, trailer, etc.

Raising our sons. The most expensive hobby I ever enjoyed. Having my wife stay home with them 14 years cost only about $1,250,000. What a blessing! They turned out awesome. And she is too. She's been my girl since 1983.
Loyal sons are like arrows in a quiver.
You haven't seen nothin yet!

Wait till those grand children arrive!

I own four battery powered gokarts
Two Crazy Carts.
Five battery powered Vespa type scooters.
Two gas go karts.
Two RideOn Monster trucks.
A basket ball goal, swings, a yard pool, two drumsets, guitars and amps.
And they love to shoot!
They say Pop Pops is better than Chucky Cheese! Lol

20210812_172612_IMG_1218.JPG

That sounds like fun! And she's cute! Enjoy those families.
Our sons are waiting for decent, moral girls. Marrying type.
Kinda scarce they say. I'm with our sons. Wait for the right one. They want stay home mothers. Like Mom. My wife and I aren't going to run their daycare center. We had the best experience raising our 3 sons together on our own. We relied on each other. For better or worse.
They'll find wives. I hear good husbands are getting hard to find too.
They just keep saving their money for houses for now. Wise.

Reactions: .20calguy and JDR
There has never been a guy on his death bed saying "If only I had saved more money".

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, “Wow what a ride!”​

― Hunter S. Thompson

Too many hobbies…..😎 The airplane I built myself

IMG_0084.jpeg

IMG_0330.jpeg

IMG_6893.jpeg

IMG_3098.jpeg

Last edited:
We own an expensive surf boat. It's not my hobby, though, I just tolerate it for my kids. We do use it a heck of a lot more than any of my airguns, however.

We bought our first surf boat in a pre-covid panic sale. Stored it in water for three summers & still sold it last winter for more than we originally paid for it.

Then bought our current one which is three times as much. Crazy expensive hobby.

There has never been a guy on his death bed saying "If only I had saved more money".

“Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, “Wow what a ride!”​

― Hunter S. Thompson

Too many hobbies…..😎 The airplane I built myself

View attachment 373978

View attachment 373979

View attachment 373981

View attachment 373982
As long as that plane has the fuel switch where the pilot can reach it, unlike the one that John Denvers plane had. Ok, have to ask, you tow the trailers behind each other?