• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Inexpensive Tank Protection

Last year I bought a 9.8L Omega SCBA tank as part of a PCP package deal on the classifieds. It was in as new condition and I want to keep it that way. It's easy to damage the clear coat that covers the carbon fiber wrap. This tank sat unused until I recently made a simple carrier to protect it from damage. The rainy weather last week was a good time to get it done. There are lots of options for tank carriers which can be fairly expensive. There are padded carry bags that are well made but very pricey at $200 to $300.

This tank came with a Velcro tank carrier which costs $20 from scuba vendors. Harbor Freight sells a pack of bungee cords, 20 for $7. Wood and dowel rod cost was $2. Ebay has mens knit caps, 3/$11. A roll of rubber waffle shelf liner is $6 at Walmart. A pack of eyelets for the cradle cost less than a buck. Most of this stuff was already on hand so all I needed was the knit caps.

The tank valve needed to be removed first. It took 30 minutes to wrap the tank with rubber shelf liner. The liner is held on by double sided tape so it can be removed if needed. One cap is pulled over the shelf liner from the tank base. A small hole was cut out of the top of one hat and stretched over the tank neck. The layer of rubber shelf liner and thick fabric overlay will keep the tank protected from impact damage. The knit fabric overlaps and is held tight by the Velcro carry straps. Everything can be easily removed if the tank requires a hydro inspection. Mine doesn't get inspections since I own a breathing air compressor that provides dry air.

The tank stand is basic and sturdy as shown in the photos below. It was a rainy day project that serves its purpose at minimal expense. Do post any photos of other ways to protect tanks from damage.

IMG_1873.JPG
IMG_1874.JPG

Last edited: