• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Impact blues...

DrOcean

Aug 26, 2018
TX
So couple of questions. My friend double loaded 2 pellets and fired it. 1-is it possible that it damaged the barrel? One of the grooves appears to be scored/not smooth any more. 2-it also leaks now. Right after a shot there’s a tssss for about half a second back by the pellet probe. Maybe shooting too big of a load created too much back pressure and blew a seal? Either way I went from 1/2” groups at 50yds n 1-1.5” at 100yds to 3” at 50 n 8” at 100. The only thing that has changed (to my knowledge) is him double loading pellets. He says he’s not sure he did. But the probe was difficult to move forward once during a session. When he shot it looked like two pellets hit the ground out front way shy of the target. So I’m assuming that’s what happened.

First thing I would do is make sure the barrel is “really” clean. You might be seeing lead in the barrel. 

https://youtu.be/5xu6ZnX7q4M

You could possibly have a leak at your valve seat but you may also just be hearing air going though the regulator just before the plenum is fully pressurised. If it’s a quiet as in calm weather it’s not unusual to hear that. Remove your magazine a see if you can feel a leak at the valve seat. A bit of tissue paper might help. 

Maybe check the beach oring also. The one in the barrel. 

Michael 

I double load mine all the time with my .22 barrel in.i always just shoot them out with no problems .

Funny thing is I never double load it with the 30 barrel in thow ?

But One time with the .22 one of the pellets fell into the port hole and when I shot it was a bust of air next to my face . was really loud too and it blew the valve O-ring. Not that hard to replace thow

Double loading shouldn't cause a problem...it doesn't with any other manufacturer but it sounds like more than a coincident. The easy thing to check would be for a broken valve seat. See if the valve rod end is projecting into the magazine port, un-cocked. It should be flush with no protrusion. (This is the silver housing and rod end below the breech and if the rod protrudes, the valve seat has collapsed) $25-FX USA If all is good, perhaps the tiny valve rod end o-ring or valve body OD O-rings took a hit. These would require a tear down to determine. In any event, these are easy to fix but order/shipping time is the real heart burn. Given the symptoms, I wouldn't suspect any barrel, breech or probe issues. Let us know what you find and good luck.

First thing I would do is make sure the barrel is “really” clean. You might be seeing lead in the barrel. 

https://youtu.be/5xu6ZnX7q4M

You could possibly have a leak at your valve seat but you may also just be hearing air going though the regulator just before the plenum is fully pressurised. If it’s a quiet as in calm weather it’s not unusual to hear that. Remove your magazine a see if you can feel a leak at the valve seat. A bit of tissue paper might help. 

Maybe check the beach oring also. The one in the barrel. 

Michael

I just ran dry patches through it when I got it. It was shooting really well, so I figured it was good. I just now cleaned it significantly better, but it’s not perfect. Funny u should post that video...I watched it earlier (remembered seeing it a while back) n ordered wormpatch kit n Ballistol already to go over it again in a couple days. Hopefully it is just lead fowling. As far as the leak goes, the valve rod looks fine. What I’m hearing makes sense that it may be the reg repressurizing. Whatever it is, it’s not a continuous leak. It’s just a short lived tsss after each shot. I can only hear it if I’m in a quiet room. So maybe (fingers crossed) there’s not actually a leak. And hopefully my groups tighten back up. It’s just such a drastic change in group size from one day to the next. Figured there had to be something awry. It’

make sure barrel is aliened properly and pellet probe is clear from sheared pellet. ...Just a thought.

This is a good thought. I removed the barrel to clean it. I suppose there’s still some lead on the walls of the breach. Guess I need to check that. After the cleaning it shot better but still a little crazy. Couple same hole at 50 then a very wild flier. It also feels like it’s kicking a lot harder than it was n sounds louder like it’s not really in harmony any more. In a couple days I’ll check the breach for lead n retune the gun til it feels right again.

It takes several shots to “reseason” the barrel after a good cleaning.

I’ll have the stuff in to clean it more appropriately tomorrow, and yes, I’ve seen and read where st n stx barrels can get better after some shooting. Thanks for the reminder. Here’s where I am now. I pulled the barrel sleeve n cleaned it somewhat. It was very dirty. I still see the scoured groove, but less so. So maybe it was/is just extreme fouling from double loading. It still shot erratically. It also feels/sounds different. Like louder and recoiling significantly more. It was also more difficult than it should have been to replace the liner. I pulled it, checked it over, n replaced it again. Still kinda tough. After sonny mentioned potential lead fouling at the breach, I pulled the whole barrel assembly out. Checked it all over. Best I can tell, all seals are there and fine. Put it all back. The liner slid in easily this time. So maybe somehow something was misaligned or there was lead that fell out that I didn’t see. It sounds n feels better. Still erratic. So I’ll give it a super thorough cleaning tomorrow and degass/lower the reg pressure n start the tune over again. When/if I get consistent results I’ll take it back to 50 n see what it do. Hopefully all is well. If not I’ll be harassing you nice folks again. On that note...any of you by chance in NETX? I could stand to meet up with someone who knows better than me to shoot/tune/bs some. I guess I’ll see if there’s an appropriate section to start a thread for that. Wanted. Shooting buddy who doesn’t suck and can shorten my learning curve!!! I don’t mind tinkering n such. But it takes a lot of pellets to get stuff right as I’m a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to how my guns group, and 30 cal pellets are super expensive!

Boy, quite an enigma. Just my opinion, but I've never had a dirty barrel, on any airgun, cause accuracy to go from .5" to 3" groups @ 50 yds. In fact, with the impact STX my worst accuracy is immediately after I clean it but that's like going from under a half inch to approaching 3/4 " @ 50. Similarly with the Matador & Marauder. I think your on the right track with retuning and perhaps you should check for clipping, in the suppressor. Glad to hear it isn't an internal issue.

Boy, quite an enigma. Just my opinion, but I've never had a dirty barrel, on any airgun, cause accuracy to go from .5" to 3" groups @ 50 yds. In fact, with the impact STX my worst accuracy is immediately after I clean it but that's like going from under a half inch to approaching 3/4 " @ 50. Similarly with the Matador & Marauder. I think your on the right track with retuning and perhaps you should check for clipping, in the suppressor. Glad to hear it isn't an internal issue.

Seems to be a loose pellet probe smashing the skirts on my pellets. Not 100% that was the problem, but 100% it was wobbly and not pushing into the breach straight. Basically dragging the bottom of the brass on the way in pretty hard. Gonna shoot some tomorrow n see if that was it. Fingers crossed.