• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

If I buy an FX Impact should I get a .25 or .22 of course you could say both.

I shoot mostly squirrels. I have a .22 marauder and it kills them with no problem. I doubt I'll ever need to shoot over 50 yards. I haven't experienced a .25. I know the pellets are more expensive and it takes more air per shot, but is the energy produced worth it or is it overkill (haha). I understand the advantage of cross wind resistance and downrange energy, but the .22 pellets I use are already passing completely through squirrels and traveling on. The larger diameter will definitely cause more damage, but when is enough, enough. Why are so many of you seemingly going to a .25. As a comparison, I do all my deer hunting with a .243 federal premium nosler partition, I've never lost one and I have shot some big deer out to 250 yards. You don't need a 300 win. mag. Sell me on your choice. Thanks

In my opinion stick with the .22 It sounds like it is working for you now and if you are sure you won't be shooting anything much bigger than squirrels and no farther than 50 yards the benefits of shot count and ammo cost make the 22 a seemingly better choice. However if you think you might want to get into longer shots or bigger game than the .25 is nice. That is the joy of the impact if you make that choice you can by the .25 barrel later or just stick with the .22

Tough one. I am in the same boat. I still want .30, .25, & .22, plus the .177 in the impact. 

Were you quoted a price for the additional barrels yet? I feel that would be the biggest deciding factor./ 

Something else to consider though. You like and have .22, why not try something new in the .25. Yes the pellets are more money. But still at a few cents a shot, why not. Learn a new caliber and some longer distance shots?

BOTH price dependent. 

I think one of the nice things is the power wheel. take an 18.1 JSB, they also offer a 25.39 in .22. That is the same as the .25 pellet weight. I put together a .22 Marauder with the .25 transfer port and a more powerful spring. The smooth twist, LW, or hammer forged Cricket barrels with regulators are a world apart from your Marauder. I can see that platform opening a lot of doors.

Matt- spot on. It's nice that the OPTION of a second barrel will be available. 

deroosea- so true! What I have works, but you see me already wanting More. 

arod2000- amen brother. "Speak softly and carry a big stick", 😁

skygear- no quote yet. Trying the .25 is the appeal. I just don't want a howitzer for a squirrel. I haven't shot one with a .25 so I don't know how it performs. Example; An 8mm Mauser punches a neat hole in a deer with little expansion and minimal damage compared to the aforementioned .243 😉. I know pellets function differently, hence the question. 

guod123- interesting. Explain that set up you put together more. I need newbie information. 

Thanks to all. 

Purchasing the "right" caliber is always a dilemma!

I subscribe to the "rope" theory. If you buy a rope too short, you can't make it longer to get the job done. If you buy it too long, you can simply use what you need, keeping the rest in reserve.

The same with calibers. You can use lighter pellets and lower fps to "detune" a .25 or a .30, However, if the demands of the task so require, you always have the option of using heavier ammo, and more air, to beef up delivery to the target.

Plus, the heavier pellet is more stable in windy conditions over long ranges. At 50 to 100 yards, one inch deviation can be the difference between a hit and a miss! It doesn't take much wind to move a light pellet one inch.

My take is, unless you shoot a ton of ammo each year, "bigger" is better and more versatile in the long run.

I bet there will be a lot of people facing this dilemma with the Impact. This gun is at the top of the list of guns that I would like. I think you should go for the .25 cal. Likely it will be quiet and .25 does good from what I have seen here and on YouTube, dropping pigs and much more. Also you could try http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=85537.0 RatSniper's Monster Hollow point. It looks wicked and cost seems fair. Order at http://www.ratsniperslugs.com/ I wish someone would publish what the cost of the various caliber costs are. One of each caliber would be really nice, but getting the gun would have me go $500 above what I promised myself I'd limit my spending to. Good luck with your decision. 

"plinker"Since I have a .22 the .25 might be a nice addition. I could however, sell my .22 and get both the .22 and .25 with the impact. I know no one really knows, but given Fx history do you think the impact will be quiet. I'm shooting a .22 marauder now and hope for equal to or less report.
No one has reported on the sound of the IMPACT yet. No one has any info on the ease of swapping over from one caliber to the other yet either. 

That would be the way I go though. Get rid of a couple rifles and grab the same in the impact. Plus the other larger sets for better usage of the package. I already know though. I am going to find a setup I like in a caliber and never touch the others.