• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Ideal weight .25 slug for a 1:14 Tj barrel

Im aware there is never a definitive answer to these type questions but in theory based on the TJ barrel that came on my raptor mini, what should be the optimal weight range for a 1:14 twist in .25?
Would like to try and find a slug it likes so I’m Just looking for a good starting point to start testing at really..

Or perhaps if anyone else has had luck with a particular slug in a 25 cal raptor?
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
TIA

60gr-70gr @900+fps

Try the Altaros King (66gr) or Queen (60gr).
I have heard a lot of good about the new Altaros slugs! Definitely wanna give ‘em a try one day.. but I’d say I’d have to re barrel with some more length to get those things zipping along at a “happy” speed.
Remember mine is a baby raptor, makes good power for what it is but I’m running a somewhat short barrel.
Can’t remember how long it is at the moment 🤔

I have heard a lot of good about the new Altaros slugs! Definitely wanna give ‘em a try one day.. but I’d say I’d have to re barrel with some more length to get those things zipping along at a “happy” speed.
Remember mine is a baby raptor, makes good power for what it is but I’m running a somewhat short barrel.
Can’t remember how long it is at the moment 🤔
It (ideal) might depend on how far you intend to shoot.

Fast twist is typically coupled with heavier airgun slugs, which gives a better BC, which is better for long distance, where higher velocities are usually preferred.

The ideal weight for a 1:14 .25 barrel shooting lead slugs is about 60 to 70 grains. Assuming you can launch them fast enough. If not, you’ll be better off with a lighter slug. You might lose a little bit of accuracy, but you’ll get better velocity.

For you, maybe use the heaviest slug that can be launched at 900fps?

Last edited:
Reactions: Rvaughn and MrP
Well I greatly appreciated all the input!
Sounds the consensus is that that that twist is ideal for the heavy guys..

While the raptor is definitely a powerhouse, the 18” barrel is about the only limiting factor..

I can’t speak to why they chose that barrel in particular but I do seem to recall it being advertised as a SLUG barrel.
And the fast twist rate it has may explain why I’ve never achieved the accuracy out of this rifle that I had expected it to have 🤔 all the while I’ve been trying very light slugs in the 26-30 grn range..

Looks like I’ll be cranking the knobs up on this baby once I get some heavy slugs in and see what she can do!

Or if you chill the gun out, it might be a shockingly accurate pellet gun.
I’ve been running it for a couple years at around 45fpe and it’s always been minute of squirrel accurate but never too shocking..
About an 1.5” at 50yds with JSB heavies which seemed to be what performed best out of it.

I did find some NSA 38.5 grn slugs a few ago.. so I cranked the reg all the way up (3100psi) according to the gauge, topped off at 4300 and turned the hammer spring in close to maxed out.
I can’t say how fast they were being slung because my chrono broke and I’ve yet to replace it but I’ll say from experience that they were cooking at a guesstimated 950+ 😳
I say this cuz I was shooting with the sun to my back and typically I can see the round in flight to it destination but I was having a real hard time spotting these 38s as they were being spit out!

This ole girl may be more capable of slinging heavy weights that I’m assuming she is…
Anyways accuracy was not great to say the least , shooting at a mere 40 yds.

image.jpg

That’s about and 8” target and only 4 out of 6 hit in the sticker

image.jpg

Gonna have to order up a good chronograph along some heavier ammo to try!