• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I thought I'd share my experience with my Wildcat MKIII .22 compact

I generally don't start threads, I usually just reply to threads, don't know why but for the most part I keep to myself and read more than write I guess.

Anyways, ordered my Wildcat MKIII compact few weeks ago, received it last Monday and have been trying to figure it out ever since. The gun itself is light, lighter than my Veteran compact was, and also it's matte, not gloss like my Veteran was. I compare the two because they are similar somewhat in size. I won't list what I like and don't like, that varies for each person, but what I will talk about is the accuracy, FPS, and shot count. I used 18.13 JSBs for most of my shooting, however, 15.89s were, as suspected, just as accurate to 50 yards and yielded about the same FPE.

When I got the gun, the FPS was all over the place. From the vendor, the gun shot 780 - 850 over 11 shots. Wow, kinda bad, but the gun is new so I thought I'd put some rounds through it first before I touched anything.

After about 200 rounds, the FPS was still really erratic, but the gun was very accurate at 50 yards until the FPS would drop below 800, then I would miss my 1" spinner. 2 magazine strings, 36 shots, I'd get a 90 FPS swing. Anywhere from 770 - 860. Most shots were in the 840 - 860 range, then it would just drop. I verified this using my FX Radar chrony and my F1 chrony. Just to make sure my FX chrony was OK, I also shot my Daystate Regal over the chrony and it was always spot on.

At this time I played with the power wheel and micro settings just a little, but could not get it right. I sent an email to the vendor, and another one to FX USA. My emails stated that the gun is new obviously, but the FPS was crazy, so my question was, is this normal for a new gun breaking in, or is there something I can do without sending it in to have someone look at it. Both responded and said it's not normal, and that I could adjust the micro HST - it would appear that the HST set too high and may need backed off some. And, BTW, FX called me on my phone to talk to me about the issue, their customer service certainly seems very good. I started messing with the HST and the FPS did change but to get it consistent the power seemed low. I increased the regulator, it's now right around 130+, before this it was 120-125. I checked the chrono for the next few mags and while the FPS did rise, so did the spread. So, after around 500 pellets, and tinkering back and forth with the micro HST, I found that the micro HST is extremely important in getting the FPS to play nice with the regulator settings. Below is my last chrony string. The gun is really accurate of course, and now a joy to shoot.

Using a different magazine? Well, I did and it works great.

One thing I want to mention, not sure if this will come as a surprise to people or not, but, while the 18 shot magazine is excellent, I wanted to have smaller mags to carry with me. Also, smaller mags could be loaded up with different pellets for testing. Well, I had my old Umarex Gauntlet lying around, I picked up the 10 shot mag, compared it to my 18 shot FX mag, and thought, what the hell. I loaded it up with JSBs, inserted it into the MKIII, and WOW! It works flawlessly! Yup, the el-cheapo $12 Umarex mags work in the MKIII. So, needless to say, I ordered 3 more so that I can have 4 mags of 10 shots each.

Also, one more note, With the power level set to 7, and the reg right around 130 or so (maybe a touch higher), I get 50 shots. Not bad for 32 ft lbs out of this compact.

Shot count: 20

Low: 900

Hi: 907

Avg: 902

Spread: 7

STD Dev: 2.4

Thanks for reading.

Blair