• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I think of break barrels when I think of pellet guns

When a person says " pellet gun" in my mind I picture a break barrel gun. That is what I had when I was a kid. I shot thousands of 177 pellets through that old crosman. I now have the bug again for pellet guns. Break barrels are what I like. Co2 has never been my thing. There are too many variances in power from start to end of co2. I have never shot a pcp gun, and really don't know if I will. They seem really expensive to get anything decent. Any of y'all just Break barrel guys? I guess I could just be a newb and need time to want to try other stuff. 

Jason30,

I wouldn't try to talk you out of your fondness for break barrels. My first REAL airgun was a BeemanR7 that thoroughly satisfied me for over 35 years. I still have it and love it. But a lot has happened in the airgun world since I got my R7. Lots of advancements that I was totally unaware of since I was so thoroughly satisfied with my R7 and didn't keep up with what was going on. Despite all the new technology that has come along in those 35 years, break barrels are still very popular and affordable and the best value for the dollar. But I can tell you from my own personal experience that you do yourself no favors by not taking a close look at the options now available. And this forum is the best place to do it. Now I own 3 PCPs (AirForce Condor .25, Daystate Huntsman Classic .22, FX Wildcat .22) and am tempted to buy more of them. I own my own inexpensive compressor and a couple large volume carbon fiber fill tanks (one was cheap and the other was FREE) and I've never enjoyed airgunning so much. Yes, it's a lot more money. But it's a LOT more fun too! Had I known 35 years ago what I know now, I'd have kept up with airgunning advancements and would have gotten a PCP way back then. And just in case you think I've become a PCP "fanboy", I'll tell you that I'd still like to own a new TX-200 or any number of other springers and break barrels out there these days.

Read this forum. Ask questions. Keep your eyes open. Watch Youtube videos and airgun reviews. Read the used airgun classifieds. Save your money. And if you're nearing retirement age, as am I, maybe you owe yourself something really really NICE; whether that's a PCP, or another great break barrel.

Have FUN!

BeemanR7

I've only been an air gunner for eight months so take my comments at face value. I bought two springers, a Diana 48 in .22 and a RWS 34 in .177, if I had bought the 34 first I probably wouldn't have bought the 48. Both rifles will shoot very good groups at 25 (maybe farther) yards if I do my part. For me the attraction of springers is that I can grab the rifle and a tin of pellets and go shoot for hours if I want. Last fall I ran over 300 pellets through my 48 in one sitting.
Personally I don't see me ever owning PCP's, I can shoot my rim fires out to 200 yards and my center fires out to 500 if I choose. Nothing wrong with PCP's and if that's what a guy enjoys it's great, but for me the price of admission is not worth the return. 

Other than stating you shot thousands of .177 as a kid you don't say what caliber you prefer..I mention this because if you choose .177 you can't go wrong with a HW95 in .177 caliber. The HW95 is lighter than a RWS34 and both rifles are very close on power. The RWS 34 is slightly more powerful than the HW 95 but without a chrony most would not know. 
If your looking at getting a .22 caliber rifle then I would choose the RWS 34 over the HW95. In .22 caliber not only do I believe it is consistently the more accurate rifle it also is the more powerful gun shooting 14 grain pellets around 720fps verses 660 fps for the HW95. There have been many reports of poor accuracy in .22 caliber HW95 rifles in the past. 
If your thinking of .25 caliber then I would go with a B28 in that caliber. Yes the B28 is a Chinese made Airgun but it shines in .25 caliber. Especially if tuned with a kit and seal from Vortex. These rifles are accurate and powerful shooting H&N 19.9 grain Field Target pellets over 700fps. The B28 is long but slender and carries well in the field with a good trigger for hunting.

I have had Pellet guns since I was a child. I started with BB guns and graduated to pumps. Sheridan, Crossman 760 and finally an expensive gun that cost me 450 00 in the 80's
I still have it. Its a 1982 FWB 124D in .177 cal.Its in showroom shape
Right now its in the shop getting tuned up. (David Slade)
The reason I sent it in to be rebuilt was the acclaim It got from the guys on this board and others. I had no idea of its value and its following 
This is Break Barrel rifle and according to many is well worth getting it back into show room shape. The price is right.
I remember it as being a TACK driver when I used it.

Ive been looking at the new stuff available out there and I'm impressed. Like you I still have a "Thing" for these "Springers".

Try looking at the imports that Flying Dragon airguns has available. That B28 looks like one worth checking out or owning and it won't kill your pocketbook .

Its Imported and Tuned in Iowa, my home.
Someday I'm going to travel there just to look. (and maybe shoot one)

Bill

I was always a breakbarrel guy until recently besides my custom 2240. I have about 15 of them.

The simplicity is always what attracted me.

Value wise the best springer is a diana 34p imho. You’ll get nothig better for the price besides a fully tuned xs-25 by mike from flying dragon.

PCP’s are far superior but require more and not just money wise. Hand pumps, being the cheapest option, will work for most people up to 3000psi. Anything beyond that you’ll need a tank and/or $1500+ compressor.

If you’d ever wanted to make the jump to pcp the best option is the benjamin disco/hand pump combo. You can get this from various sites as low as $350 I’ve seen.

That’s what I started w and now I’m waiting on a fully modded .22 mrod from the custom shop lol. Have a rocker1 ldc and a unopened UTG AO SWAT waiting for her too.

I’m fine w the hand pump for now however I might spring for my own air source next year.

Still wouldn’t dream of parting w any of my breakers though otherwise I’d just sell 3-4 of them and get a venturi.