• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I see you guys do a lot of squirrel hunting due to being pests. do you eat them?

I've been eating squirrels (killed by Dad in those days) for most of my life. My favorite way is to fry and then pressure cook. That's how Mom made them. We don't have a pressure cooker or know how to use one. So, I either dip in flour and fry or put them in a crock pot with a can of Cambell's Cream of Mushroom soup and can of water. Great! I wouldn't kill a squirrel or rabbit I wasn't planning to eat.

Had squirrel and mashed potatoes for dinner tonight... I mix up a quarter cup each of white wine worcestershire sauce, Frank's Red hot, and jalapeno juice, add a tsp of ground white pepper. It may marinate for a day... It may marinate for a week. Being a regional truck driver, that all depends on how often I get home during the week. When I'm ready to cook, I season the meat with some blackened seafood/chicken seasoning, sear on both sides for maybe 30 seconds each, place on tinfoil and pour some of the leftover marinade on and around the squirrel, wrap it all up and bake at 275 for about 40 minutes....

Yummy!

This pic was taken after searing, but before adding the leftover marinade...

I eat them. 

Searing, then roasting in the oven in marinade still yields tough meat for me.

Crock Pot, making sure the meat is submerged in cooking liquid, or pressure cooker is the only way to go.

bowwild: Get yourself a pressure cooker. They're affordable enough, ($30?) and besides having a pressure cooker, you also have an excellent pot for cooking pasta and a small stock pot. Presto even offers a straining lid for theirs.

I don't eat the squirrels I kill in an urban setting because I don't know what they have been eating and, I wasn't really brought up eating squirrel so it isn't something I crave. 

The squirrels here do two things that mean they have to go though. One, they dig up my lawn - a mortal sin. I would shoot my wife if she dug up my lawn. Second is that they shake the acorns out of the tree with branches that go over my car. Every time my car hood get thumped with an acorn from 40 feet up, I reach for my air gun. 

Squirrels are like a plague in my area. Revolting rats destroying property wherever I look. I would be 500lb if I tried to eat all of them...