• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I made a Ataman magazine that holds slugs.

Anyone who has a Ataman and wants to shoot slugs or even predator pellets know the magazine that comes with the gun will not hold slugs or fit the Predator pellets. The .357 M2R is a awesome gun but since the mags only hold pellets that means the only thing that works is the JSB 81gr pellets. Anything else needs to be single loaded. I wanted to shoot slugs and have a repeater. While looking it over I came up with a idea to get the Bulldog magazine to work with it. I had some issues to over come. 1st is the Bulldog magazine is too long. I had to take apart the magazine and remove about .22 inches on the cylinder and the housing.
20211219_144558.1639944427.jpg
20211219_144454.1639944428.jpg
 I also needed to remove 2 coils off of the spring.

20211219_144516.1639944739.jpg

The way the stock magazines fit into the gun, they slide in from the side. I wound need to make a support so this is what I came up with.

20211219_145440.1639944884.jpg

Here is the modified mag next to a stock one.

20211219_144814.1639944971.jpg

The hardest thing was getting the magazine to slide in from the top and hold in place. What I noticed was the back of the mags have a raised area, all I had to do was fill it with jb weld and cut out the area for the barrel.

20211219_145430.1639945130.jpg

So now with thr plate in the magazine just slides in. 
20211219_145535.1639945252.jpg
20211219_145522.1639945254.jpg
20211219_145508.1639945255.jpg

It works great. I might try to make another and have it more like the stock one with the magazine fixed to the plate and have it slide in from the side. Now I got a mag that will hold slugs. Looks like the heaviest one it will fit is thr 93gr Nielson.

I have the M2R bullpup in .35, it’s very well built and accurate, I agree they are underrated. I always liked them when they first were introduced, but was turned off by the high fill pressure and costly magazines. Got mine when it was on sale a year or two ago and have been very happy with it. Having had it for over a year now the high fill pressure isn’t as big of a deal as I thought. I just got a single shot tray from Pitbull Airgun to ease the single loading of Polymags and H&N Grizzlies.

The slugs have a much better BC than the pellets so they will cut through the wind better and drop less. Also with the 357 you only have one choice of pellets, that is the JSB 81gr. With slugs there a lot of different weights, and manufacturers that you can try. So if the gun doesn't like the JSB pellets you can try different slugs to see what shoots best in it.

The way the stock magazine holds the pellet is with one oring going around the middle of the cylinder, so the oring fits in between the head and the tail of a pellet. The slugs have smooth sides so this oring will push the slug forward or back resulting in the back or front of the slug coming out of the cylinder and jamming the magazine. Also the cylinder is designed for the length of a pellet. Most slugs are longer than the pellets and thus the length alone of the slug keeps them from fitting.

That is really thinking outside the box! Very nice work.... Looks like it was done at the factory. The .88 gr slugs I have shoot very well at 50 meters so far and don't slide out. They are GT bullets and.358 diameter. Maybe you can try some, however looks like these days he backed up a bit with work. Do polymags come close to fitting in that magazine?

What about a .22. They make slugs for that?

The way the stock magazine holds the pellet is with one oring going around the middle of the cylinder, so the oring fits in between the head and the tail of a pellet. The slugs have smooth sides so this oring will push the slug forward or back resulting in the back or front of the slug coming out of the cylinder and jamming the magazine. Also the cylinder is designed for the length of a pellet. Most slugs are longer than the pellets and thus the length alone of the slug keeps them from fitting.

Reply to an older post...

@drumie This is a great idea. Has anyone been replicating it with a 3-D printed version or made an aftermarket magazine just for them? I'd like to think that there is a small market for them, if you have someone who would make a hundred of them.

@Airgunmatt The Ataman can use .22 slugs, but the o-rings allow them to slide out of the magazine. Though if bench shooting only, versus woods walking and hunting, you can get away with shooting slugs because they do not get jostled around and tend to stay in the magazine.