I just blew a Yong Heng burst disc. Help me not do it again

STUPIDITY ALERT: (if this narrative exposes what an idiot I am, please keep the abuse good-natured, LOL) I'm filling to an AirHog bottle via a double ended male connector. Once I reached pressure, I closed the bottle with compressor still running and blew the disc before I could open the bleed valve (like 2 seconds?). I guess the solution would be to shut down the compressor BEFORE closing the bottle. BUT I didn't want to do that for fear the compressor would get jammed by back pressure on the piston. I'm sensitive to this issue, because when the compressor was new it would freeze/stall on start up. I was under the impression this was happening because there was residual pressure resisting the piston. Where am I going wrong here?

Remove the fill hose and look at the plastic gasket inside the block where the hose screws in. Make sure its not crushed to the point of blocking air flow. 

What I Do to fill my tank.
Connect all hoses and plug in pumps.
Open 1st stage air bleed, close second stage air bleeder.
Turn on the compressor.
Open the bottle valve.
Close the 1st stage air bleeder.
Now your filling your bottle like a pro.
To turn off just follow the list in the opposite order. 

"Kayakairgun"Remove the fill hose and look at the plastic gasket inside the block where the hose screws in. Make sure its not crushed to the point of blocking air flow. 
Turn on the compressor.
Open the bottle valve.
THANKS

Yeah I did this same thing haha, it does pressure spike fast when the tank is closed. I've not done it since by opening the high pressure side slightly before closing the tank but I like the above method I'll give it a try next time. I also give the air a quick purge while pumping every few minutes someone suggested that and it makes sense to me.

I use a non-return check valve fitting between the tank and filter. when the pressure in the line equals the tank pressure it opens automatically. I don't have to close the tank valve before purging and shutting down. It also has the benefit of not losing a tank full of air if I have an O-ring fail between the pump and the tank which has happened to me before. The fitting is just a male foster to male 1/8NPT with a valve inside. It can be had for $2-$3 on flea bay. Screw it into a male to female 1/8 NPT and you've got a male to male adaptor that can be used in both directions, just make sure you have a bleed valve on the isolated side or you won't be able to uncouple anything.

Hey Centercut. The instructions that come with these things, advise that the bleed valve is opened before shutting down the power to avoid backlash and stress on the system. Whatever that means. It does appear that the burst disks supplied with these pumps are erring on the side of caution. If I have any trouble with mine, I will be upping the burst strength to at least 5.5 K or maybe 6 K as I assume the standard ones are about 5 K and when filling to 4500 it only takes a small spike to blow them especially after a few cycles of prestressing. 

"Kayakairgun"Remove the fill hose and look at the plastic gasket inside the block where the hose screws in. Make sure its not crushed to the point of blocking air flow. 
Turn on the compressor.
Open the bottle valve.
Tried this. Worked like a charm. NOW I know what that mysterious first stage bleed is for! Thanks again

"Eaglebeak"Hey Centercut. The instructions that come with these things, advise that the bleed valve is opened before shutting down the power to avoid backlash and stress on the system. Whatever that means. It does appear that the burst disks supplied with these pumps are erring on the side of caution. If I have any trouble with mine, I will be upping the burst strength to at least 5.5 K or maybe 6 K as I assume the standard ones are about 5 K and when filling to 4500 it only takes a small spike to blow them especially after a few cycles of prestressing.
Well, I’m not sure why they tell you that since the auto shutoff models are exactly the same design except for the auto shutoff function. When they stop they just stop. The operator needs to vent off the system after closing the tank valve. From a mechanical standpoint it doesn’t harm the compressor. Not sure why the instructions say that. The one way fitting is a good idea though. I like that...

"Eaglebeak"I use a non-return check valve fitting between the tank and filter. when the pressure in the line equals the tank pressure it opens automatically. I don't have to close the tank valve before purging and shutting down. It also has the benefit of not losing a tank full of air if I have an O-ring fail between the pump and the tank which has happened to me before. The fitting is just a male foster to male 1/8NPT with a valve inside. It can be had for $2-$3 on flea bay. Screw it into a male to female 1/8 NPT and you've got a male to male adaptor that can be used in both directions, just make sure you have a bleed valve on the isolated side or you won't be able to uncouple anything.

​I use the same fitting also between my tank and filter for the same reasons. Don't have to watch the gauge before opening the tank valve. Also acts like PMV on partially filled tanks.

Reactions: Centercut

​I use the same fitting also between my tank and filter for the same reasons. Don't have to watch the gauge before opening the tank valve. Also acts like PMV on partially filled tanks.
Never thought of it that way, but you’re correct. It does act as a PMV in a way as long as you start with a tank pressure if greater than 2000 psi, and you don’t have to worry about when to open your tank valve. +1 to you. 

"FlexWagtail"
Turn on the compressor.
Open the bottle valve.
Tried this. Worked like a charm. NOW I know what that mysterious first stage bleed is for! Thanks again
Your welcome Flexwagtail

"cootertwo"When the disc blew in my Yong Heng, I just installed 2 of the replacement discs, no more problem.
I would advise not doubling up the burst disc. It's the same as using a nail to stop an elictrical fuse blowing. It may stop it tripping out but unless you know the cause, you run the risk of having a fire. In this case you risk an explosion. Using two disks will raise the burst pressure to over 10000 PSI, you might as well just use a stopper if you don't want a safety device.