• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I bought the Ripley Rifles XL25 from AOA

Tumblr_l_72213485242971.1625360346.jpg

Thank-you for your interest. I figured if no-one was interested I wouldn't take space on the website. Just so you know who I am I would like to give you a little background in on me. I do this not to beat my own drum but to hopefully give a small bit of credibility to my story. My name is Tim and I live in Tucson,AZ. I was a Tucson police officer for 22 years. I was a member of the SWAT team for 10 of those years. My primary position was "entry" but my secondary position was "sniper". We all had at least two jobs and sometimes three. After retiring I flew EMS helicopters around southern AZ and Cal. I did one year in Afghanistan flying NATO troops around Kandahar. That pic on my header is the Bell 214ST helicopter I flew. I have also shot the EBR in Phoenix several times.

I started shooting airguns about 7 years ago when shooting powder burners got 1. too expensive and 2. too LOUD. Even doubling up with ear plugs and muffs couldn't stop my ears from ringing. Let's try airguns. Entry AOA and Kip Parow. First gun was a HW80. That was about 20 guns and 18K ago. (Hope my wife doesn't read this). You know how it is. Airguns are habit forming. Every time I went into AOA there it was on the the bottom shelf dead smack in the middle. Look at some of the old videos from AOA where the sales people are demonstrating a new gun and you'll see it in the background. One day I asked Kip what it was. "It's a Ripley XL25...used" He handed it to me and two things smacked me in the face. It was one of the finessed rifles I've ever held in my hands (powder burners included) and it was $4500.00. On consignment. I very carefully handed it back to him. Kip said "It's hand made, one at a time, by a guy in England, in a small shop, made to order." And so for the next five years every time I went into AOA I would look at that gun. Just working the action might have been worth the money. It's hard to describe it. It's jewel like. Somewhere along the line the owner of the gun sold it to Robert , the owner of AOA. And there it sat. Over the next several years I keep looking and the price keep dropping. When it got under 3K I figured it was going to be sold soon. What was surprising to me was how little info there is in the internet about Ripley Rifles considering the impact they have had on the industry. Joe and his son Steve Wilkins are thought of as the "Godfathers of the PCP rifle" making a Ripley Rifle a piece of airgun history. And I believed that history needs to be preserved. Sometime in March I believe I was in the AOA shop I asked one of the "salespeople" (PC here) what the power was of the Ripley. "Don't know, never fired it. Let's find out". (I was not interested in a 12 pound gun). I'm not sure what the fill pressure was (it has a 300 BAR SWP) but there was no mistaking the sonic crack the gun made when it went off. 48 foot pounds! That'll work. The next week I was back in the shop and dragged Kip out of the gun repair room. "I want to make an offer on the Ripley". ( This is the part were I one Kip free lunch forever). Ok it took me about 2 hours to type out this much and it's cutting into my happy hour routine. To be continued tomorrow with pics. Thank-you for reading.

Thanks for the background story. I was looking at it as well for a few years wondering who in their right mind would buy it. Until it was gone a few weeks ago and someone mentioned about the history and the uniqueness of this rifle. So looks like the last laugh is not on the person who ended up buying it...but when this rifle ever comes up on auction in the future. Seems like a well-deserved part of airgun history 

Sorry for the pause. It was for dinner and cocktails, not for dramatic effect. So Kip gets Robert on the phone and we exchange offers twice before agreeing on a price. I won't say exactly what the price was because I didn't clear it with Robert first but I will say this. I got the rifle, plus a set of nice scope rings and a very nice Optisan EVX 6-24x56 scope out the door for less money then I paid AOA for my Daystate .22 Red Wolf Safari. Plus Kip went through the gun and replaced any rubber parts that looked suspect. The understanding I had with AOA was they could and would replace anything that they had parts for like the O-rings. But I was on my own for any unique, hand built one of a kind Ripley parts. That's understandable and acceptable. After all the rifle is old enough to legally buy a drink anywhere in the states. (21 years old the best I can tell). I was a happy camper. Robert din't give it away and I didn't feel like a sucker when I walked out the door. The condition of the rifle overall was very good but it was obvious that it had put MANY pellets down range. My hope was that is gun would shoot very well, for a 21 year old gun. Ripley Rifles with the 9 shot rotary magazine are known to be "pellet sensitive". This, I learned from the Ripleyrifles.com website is because when you order a rifle from Steve Wilkins one of the options you have is selecting what power you want the gun to shoot at and what pellet you want to use. He then builds this rotary magazine to accept your pellet. Try to get any other airgun manufacturer to do that for you. ( I hope I got all that right). The problem I had was that I have no idea what pellet this magazine was build for. They are not marked. Given the fact that the gun was shooting at such a high power Kip suggested the H&N Baracuda Match 21.14 grains. This is an exact match (I believe) to the Bisley Magnums that were made 21 years ago and were the big dogs on the block back then. This Bisley is also the pellet the writer of the article on the Ripley website used to test the gun back in 2000. Great! I happen to have some. (I could not fine any Bisley Magnums for sale in this country). 

Time to shoot. Yep, the XL's rotary mags are pellet sensitive. In fact you have to (1) point the barrel at the ground while you load the mag or the pellets could fall out. (2) be very careful when you swing the mag into battery. If you have a pellet skirt protruding out past the edge of the mag, even just a fine red hair, it will catch on the breach and damage the skirt and we all know what that does to the accuracy. Not knowing what pellet this gun was designed to shoot was the issue here. It also made the two 8 round side loading gates unusable. The contour of the pellet head has to be an exact match to the previous pellets skirt. (I hope that makes sense). When the magazine rotates and an empty chamber comes inline with one of the loading gates a plunger with a spring behind it pushes another pellet into the chamber. 9 in the mag, 18 rounds in the two side gates equals 25. Hence the XL25. Or in my case it's an XL9. I'm sure with the right pellet this system works great. Nine at a time works just fine for me. You can single load pellets but you have to jump through several hoops. The gun was not designed for single loading. Time for a break. This was two hours and three cups of coffee in the making.