• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW77 - Broken Spring

Hi everyone! I decided to give my HW77 a good cleaning because my girlfriend bought me some nice cleaning supplies for chistmas and I discovered that the spring was broken in multiple places. I've shot about 8000 pellets since I bought the rifle a year ago. 
Is this normal wear and tear because I've seen a lot of posts on other forums where people have bought a used HW77 that was a lot older and seem to have no problems what so ever. I've inspected the surfaces where the spring touches the piston and it seems ok, but I've included some photos since I'm no expert. Unfortunately I couldn't get the camera to focus on the inside part of the piston.

What do you guys think? Should I also replace the seals while I'm at it?

X2 On replacing the seals while you have it apart. Broken mainsprings are not rare-My R9 spring looked like that when I tore it down, but with a few more pieces! Dry firing can cause this, too light pellets, or just wear and tear. I put a Vortek kit in mine, I like the shot cycle but the velocity dropped off as the Vortek spring sagged. Jim Maccari at Air Rifle Headquarters makes excellent replacement kits as well.

No, I never leave anything cocked or loaded in any way. I think that most people that aren't into guns don't really understand how quickly you can make a mess just by pulling the trigger. I went to my local engraver once with my Walther PPQ and the first thing he did after picking up the pistol is pulled the trigger a couple of times while pointing out the window.
I was baffled by the lack of logical thinking while holding something that is designed to kill.