• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW50 feedback wanted.

650 and 550fps with 10.3gr and 13.4gr you are better off with an HW95 because the HW50s is hard to cock!

It is in between the HW30s and HW95 guns with a much harder than expected cocking effort and would suggest

buying the HW95 instead. Others who own both guns could chime in and will probably tell you the same thing.

You can detune the HW95 to lower power levels and even shorten the barrel which I would recommend doing instead.

You will be a much happier shooter.

CA 

Thanks CA. I’m actually drawn to the HW50 because it’s sort of a grown up HW30, and I already have one of those. Also like the Hunter version available from AoA with moderator & scope. This all of course is thinking out loud and doing research. I was thinking of a lighter weight platform than my LGVs, but with a little more woomph than the HW30.

I think the HW50 is the old Beeman R8 and if so that's what I have and it's excellent. I got mine used with a Vortek kit in it .177 @722fps 8.64gr they heaviest I have tested. Easy to cock and not hold sensitive at all, very accurate.

1542588962_15053807145bf20a22e3b161.43511348_70 Beeman R8 .177.JPG

I own a 50S and it is not hold sensitive at all. I predominantly shoot springers and the HW 50 is one of my favorites. Mine shoots around 11 FPE with a Vortek kit and is very smooth and accurate. Cocking effort is considerably more than the HW30, but not unreasonable. A great compromise between the HW30 and HW95 as it has more power and is slightly larger than the HW30 yet lighter and handier than the more powerful HW95. 

I had an R8 years ago the same time as my earlier R7s and R9s and regretted selling it and the current HW50s seems to me to be a totally different gun. It is much harder to cock and to me it is harder to cock than an R9 or HW95 something about it just doesn't make sense.

I was much happier with a detuned R9 with shortened barrel and Muzzle Break than the HW50s.

It is very far from the R7 when it comes to the easy cocking effort in relation to the slight bump in power.

When you buy one and cock it then shoot it just once then you will know exactly what I mean.

I stopped buying HW spring rifles after I got my first Walther springer FYI...

Can't say that I really miss the straight out of the box GADOOOOOINGGGGGGGG...

CA

The HW95 Field Pro in 177 is only $20 more than what you are thinking of buying and based on you wants by shooting 10.3gr and 13.4gr heavies to me it would be a no brainer to get the one with the more adequate powerplant just to shoot the heavies. That is a lot of money for a springer. I could suggest a Nova Freedom but I am not sure you are into a quiet accurate 177 multishot PCP with an almost effortless onboard pumping set up. My 177 Nova Freedom will easily near effortlessly outshoot any of my spring guns at 50 yards past or present. They are well worth their price IMHO in 177. You got 2 power settings too low and high and is also magazine fed and so far I have had ZERO accuracy issues using the 10 shot Marauder style magazine. It is my favorite gun at the moment and shoot it almost daily. I have to admit it is on the heavier side about a pound heavier than the HW50s. It is also pretty quiet shooting. Theres one for sale in 177 $300 Paypal right now on the classifieds here.

My next gun will more than likely be a 22 Nova Freedom.

CA

Tell you what, if you buy that 177 Nova Freedom listed for $300 on the classifieds and go shoot it regularly and if you don't like it then...

I WILL BUY IT FROM YOU.

SERIOUSLY!

Then what I would do is to have a Lothar Walther 22 barrel blank machined to convert it to a 22 and have a 22 bolt probe made and I already

have lots of 22 caliber Marauder and Gauntlet magazines. The out of the box 22 versions have mixed reviews regarding their accuracy and I intend on getting it right the first time.

CA

I appreciate the advice on the NOVA, but you are correct, I’m just not into it. I’m in no hurry either right now. I have my fill of guns and taking my time doing research. I have an HW30 & 2 WaltherLGVs, the .22 is not even close to being broken in yet. 

I have heard the same thing about the cocking effort from other folks before, as well as others (as above) that think it’s not that bad. Wonder why it’s harder than the 95? Maybe the fulcrum? The 95 appeals to me, but it may be close in performance to my LGV? 

Thank you all for the feedback so far. 

Its a different animal because I am assuming you are seeking a 177 springer or 177 in general to shoot 10.3s and 13.4s heavies.

For the power you are seeking and the pellets (weight) you want to get (just over HW30s 177 power level), I would even recommend

a Crosman 1701P with a .08 P-Rod TP or an unmodded 1720T with a carbine stock.

My suggestions are based on accuracy and ease of shooting 10.3s and 13.4s in 177.

And saving you some cash in the process as well...

CA

Hi Intenseaty22. I owned the new modelHW50S. It was a nice gun, and was not hold sensitive, and not difficult to cock compared to other break barrels that I have used, eg BSA Lightning. To answer your question - mine did not like heavy pellets. I tried H&N Barracuda Match, Air Arms heavy, and JSB heavy pellets. Because none shot well in the 5OS I didn’t pursue heavies any further. Sorry, I didn’t measure velocities. I hope that this helps. Richardo.

I think the HW50 is the old Beeman R8 and if so that's what I have and it's excellent. I got mine used with a Vortek kit in it .177 @722fps 8.64gr they heaviest I have tested. Easy to cock and not hold sensitive at all, very accurate.

1542588962_15053807145bf20a22e3b161.43511348_70 Beeman R8 .177.JPG

The Beeman R8 was the same powerplant as the OLD HW50s, which is not the same gun as the current HW50s. What is being sold now as the HW50s is known as the HW99 in the rest of the world, but Weihrauch had to make things confusing for us for some reason. My understanding is that the old one was easier to cock and slightly lower powered and generally seems to be highly regarded (and I would love to snag one, especially the R8). I've handled the new one and was somewhat surprised by the cocking effort, which has something to do with the cocking arm design it shares with the HW30. 

If anything, I'd be more tempted to tune one down a bit. From the factory, I think your average HW30 puts out 6-7 fpe; the new HW50s is more like 10-11 (625-650 fps with 10 grain-ish pellets) and an HW95 is 11-15 depending on pellet and caliber. The old R8 I think fell in that 8-9 fpe range, and that's were I would want to tune a new HW50s to.

Or just buy one of each! 

I have a HW30 and HW50, both in 177. I also owned the HW95 Field Pro in 177. I ended up selling the HW95 because the gun was too light for the power it produces and was very hold sensitive. So that’s when I opted to try the HW50 because it was still light but had reduced power similar to what the sub 12 ft lbs guns the Brits are known to shoot. 

Lo and behold, I struck gold it seemed. The gun isn’t pellet fussy, very accurate, and quite easy to cock. I think it’s perfect. Heck I left mine stock and shoot it open sights with CPHP’s and no problem with tight groups at 30 yards. 

I wanted a 12 fpe HW. Couldn't decide between a HW50s & a detuned R9, so bought both. Kept the 50s. I just really like the size, weight, and the firing cycle. The detuned R9 had a long & mushy firing cycle, whereas the 50s is short & quick with the Vortek kit (measured at 13fpe)
Yes my 50s could be a little easier to cock, but not a deal breaker for me. If it was i'd get a FWB 124, but to me an awesome trigger is more important than a little extra cocking effort.