• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW Barrel For My RTI Compact

Today I got to work on my HW 22cal barrel for my RTI compact (P1. It was late when I got home and was in a rush to get my evening farm chores done but still managed to see how the HW Barrel was going to work out.. my compact was set up to shoot 13gr 177 slugs (510mm LW barrel) at 960fps... Without touching a thing other than installing the HW barrel (also 510mm) it pushed JSB 18gr 994fps!! I wasn't quite expecting that kind of jump... A quick re-zero on the scope and started tweaking in the tune (I use a fixed reg set to 150b) it shot Very well at 994 but I kept backing the hammer spring down... 950 shot a tad better.. rifle was sounding better.. backing it down to 900... The accuracy is right there and the rifle sounds even better... When I got to 820... The accuracy is still spot on but the rifle sounds perfect... Super quiet... Shot cycle is great... Smoooooth!! I upped it to 850ish and called it!... I believe I'm going to shoot it set there for awhile... I do have intentions to see how it likes slugs later..as this is one of my favorite hunting rigs and would prefer it to shoot slugs but if it doesn't.. it doesn't.... Not a problem... Pellets it will be!!

With all the hoopla on slugs, I would like to find a barrel made just for 177 slugs , And the RTI is so easy to change out barrels it would be the gun to go to, I am sure the twist rate and the rifling would be different than a regular pellet barrel. So my question is to you guys in the know (Motor head) can a barrel like this be made and not break the bank?
Jasonmc I think your on to something , I am watching.

Reactions: Spinach
I have been using for a couple years now with MUCH success ... a LW standard ( 17.7-1 ) 12 groove No choke at full length ( >24" )
It shoots HEAVY pellets such as JSB 13.4 & 16's near 1000 fps & NSA slugs in the 12.5 or 15 weights as fast as 1060 fps with stellar accuracy.

Also played with a TJ that shot equal weight pellets great, tho slugs lousy.

FYI & nuttin more :rolleyes:

If it's a newer stock barrel, it likely will like slugs. I've had a new one on a nova star 177 I've intended to use for slugs, but time has been super scarce. The fellow that machined the barrel did a really odd job on the leade. It's looking promising, but again, havnt had time at all to mess with it.
I bought this barrel years ago from Tim McMurray (Mac 1). It use to be on a QB78 I made into a PCP... Later I machined up a LW 25cal barrel for it. I put the 22cal HW barrel up and forgot all about it until the other day when I cleaned up my gun room. Figured it would be a good barrel for the RTI compact. I believe it to be a 1:16 twist... When I slugged the barrel it doesn't have a choke and checked .217... I have a feeling it just might shoot slugs. I'll find out in a few days.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
With all the hoopla on slugs, I would like to find a barrel made just for 177 slugs , And the RTI is so easy to change out barrels it would be the gun to go to, I am sure the twist rate and the rifling would be different than a regular pellet barrel. So my question is to you guys in the know (Motor head) can a barrel like this be made and not break the bank?
Jasonmc I think your on to something , I am watching.
My 177 slug barrel is the factory RTI 510mm LW barrel.. it didn't shoot slugs well at first. The choke was fairly tight. I used JB bore paste and polish to loosen up the choke.. It took awhile.. I took my time checking it as I went every so often...(plan B was to cut the choke off but plan A worked out) It shoots JSB knockout slugs and zan slugs great..(still shoots pellets great also) 177 slugs give a whole new meaning to shooting a 177. As in...I don't ever want to shoot 177 pellets from this particular rifle for pesting/hunting. I have the RTI CZ 25cal for it also.. I've never tried slugs in it. Pellets are good for when I need a 25 or just want a caliber change. The 22 HW barrel is something I've had for years..I knew it shot pellets great... figured it would be nice addition to the compact. Now I have a choice of 177, 22, 25 barrels to swap on when I want something different. My wife has a RTI compact (P1) in 22 (CZ 400mm) but I've never tried anything other than 16 and 18gr pellets. Besides I'm not allowed to touch her rifle 😅

Last edited:
Reactions: Neu and Spinach
OK guys thanks , Down the road I am looking just to have a rifle set up just for 177 slugs, and since the RTI compacts are little power houses and easy to work on its going to be a RTI. The new LW RPB barrel in 177 is suppose to be the barrel set up for slugs 1st and pellets 2nd. Its going to be one of those hurry up and wait and see deals. and gives me time to reset the piggy bank.
Mike

OK guys thanks , Down the road I am looking just to have a rifle set up just for 177 slugs, and since the RTI compacts are little power houses and easy to work on its going to be a RTI. The new LW RPB barrel in 177 is suppose to be the barrel set up for slugs 1st and pellets 2nd. Its going to be one of those hurry up and wait and see deals. and gives me time to reset the piggy bank.
Mike
Mike,
so a LW RPB barrel in 177 is available? Or my English language knowledge, isn't as good as it once was.

My RTI compact is just begging to be a dedicated .177 slug machine.

Reactions: Jasonmc
Today I tried some NSA .217 and .2175 17gr slugs... No Go! It would group ok then several flyers all over...no matter the bar (I put my adjustable reg on after I rebuilt it to test slugs) or hammer spring setting... I have a few zan slugs on hand but didn't try them... I ended up tunning it to FX 18gr pellets with a reg setting of 125b... 930fps. Rifle sounded great and the accuracy was spot on! For now... I'm going to just enjoy it set up as is.

Reactions: Spinach
Sounds like the slugs might be good! Maybe try cleaning the barrel, run a few pellets thru to season it then try the slugs, might work....
Oh it's well seasoned.. 1000's of rounds down that barrel.. it use to be on a previous build until I machined it to fit my compact.. Im thinking I might have been using to light of a slug (17gr) I'm betting it just might like 20gr slugs..

Reactions: Ranchibi