• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hunting big game in Utah...

Hi,

I am trying to figure out if I can hunt big game using an air rifle or not. Furthermore, I would like to know if I can hunt in my backyard. I know you are not allowed to fire ANY firearm within city limits, but I am NOT within city limits. However, I do have neighbors... I sent an email to the Wildlife Resources Revision and this is the email I got back:

"This is the rule on rifles for taking big game. If the air gun were a center fire rifle with expanding bullets then you would probably be able to use it. The only thing though is I think most of your air guns are going to be rim fire. I hope this helps if you have any more questions let me know. R657-5-8. Rifles and Shotguns.(1) The following rifles and shotguns may be used to take big game:(a) any rifle firing centerfire cartridges and expanding bullets; and(b) a shotgun, 20 gauge or larger, firing only 00 or larger buckshot or slug ammunition."

On one hand it is pretty clear to me. It states the type of guns and ammo one can use, to hunt big game. On the other hand, does that mean because an air gun is not listed, I cannot use it? Air guns are not firearm, so maybe they do not have to be listed?! Anyhow, I wasn't sure what to think, so I emailed her back asking for clarification. This is the email I got back:

"Is your air rifle going to be firing a center fire and expanding bullet?"

??? An air rifle is not a center or rim fire rifle?! This is too complicated for me right now, I have other stuff I need to take care off. : )

What do you guys think?

thanks,

Kmd

Arizona allows you to take any game animals in the state with the following exceptions. Cannot take Elk / Buffalo / Turkey. You are currently required to use a .35 caliber air rifle or larger to harvest anything from a Javelina and larger. This includes: deer / sheep / antelope / bear / mountain lion. Coyotes and Bobcats can be taken with any air rifle .22 caliber or larger. They looking at changing the requirements based on minimum FPE depending on what you are hunting, rather than solely by caliber size. We will see when and how that changes the regulations here in Arizona.

"ashes5"I live in Utah. You can't take big game with an air rifle. Air guns are not considered a firearm.
I don't think air rifles/guns are considered a firearm anywhere in the US?! Anyhow. I guess it is simpler than I thought it was... If your "weapon" is listed, you can hunt big game. If your "weapon" is not listed, than you cannot. Pretty straight forward... for once. 

Thanks,

Kmd

"LNielsen"The last time I looked you could only take jack rabbits and coyotes with an air rifle here in Utah. I would have to search to find the site stating these rules on hunting. If you are not in the city limits then that would fall on the county regulations as far as shooting in your backyard.
That would be great... thank you.

Kmd