• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How to slug an airgun barrel?

Gentlemen:

I want to determine the internal diameter of my airguns barrels. I have .22 and .25 ST barrels. It seems slugging is the proper method. I never slugged any barrel so far and my specific questions are:

1 - In a Smooth Twist barrel should I slug the twist end portion which is chocked or the non rifling portion close to the breach?
2 - What should I use to slug? An oversized pellet? A cast slug made of soft lead? Other materials like wax?
3 - How to proper slug? What is the correct process specifically in an airgun barrel? I have seen some videos on slugging firearms and it creeps me the process. I am scare of using a hammer or mallet to force the slug into a very delicate barrel.
4 - Is there any other process to determine the inner diameter in a barrel? 

After slugging and measuring the slug, do my pellets heads diameters needs to be larger or exact the same slug diameter?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

You always slug the bore NOT the choke. If you slug the choke and then size pellets accordingly then they will all be too loose in the "smooth" section of the barrel!
I learned this the hard way by buying a casting mold for a choke slug size and the bullets just fell through the barrel till they encountered the choke. It was almost like shooting a smooth twist (although there was blow by in the grooves) since the bullet rode on top of the lands before the choke instead of there being good engagement with the rifling grooves at the breech end.

Thurmond

"T3PRanch"You always slug the bore NOT the choke. If you slug the choke and then size pellets accordingly then they will all be too loose in the "smooth" section of the barrel!
I learned this the hard way by buying a casting mold for a choke slug size and the bullets just fell through the barrel till they encountered the choke. It was almost like shooting a smooth twist (although there was blow by in the grooves) since the bullet rode on top of the lands before the choke instead of there being good engagement with the rifling grooves at the breech end.

Thurmond
Thanks Thurmond. One clarification already for my doubts.