• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How to buy a win.

Let's not get our bowels in an uproar. I was doing a little research on the Angeles Shooting Range and that picture popped up. I don't know her and I never heard of her. My post has nothing to do with her. I was just making an observation based on over 55 years of shooting.

Let's be honest. A good shooter will do better with better equipment. In most cases, a poor shooter will still be a poor shooter. 

I can see that controversial subjects are not accepted well on this forum. I will refrain from posting any here in the future.

R.I.P. DML908

At my age, that's the best that I can hope for. 😄

DML908

I will explain instead of taking a shot.

That woman is Vipha Miller, and she is recognized as one of the top shots in the Airgun community, male or female, while competing and placing in several disciplines.

That girl puts in serious work to shoot at the level that she has achieved. Her husband Doug is no slouch behind the trigger either.

Right or wrong, your post was taken as an offhand remark by an uninformed newb who was seen as casting aspersions on a well regarded figure in the hobby.

You may have picked up on this already due to several rebuttal posts, but there it is.

Hopefully you are not thin skinned, and will continue to participate instead of throwing up your hands due to a minor faux pas.

By the way, welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and good people here, trust me!!

DML908

I will explain instead of taking a shot.

That woman is Vipha Miller, and she is recognized as one of the top shots in the Airgun community, male or female, while competing and placing in several disciplines.

That girl puts in serious work to shoot at the level that she has achieved. Her husband Doug is no slouch behind the trigger either.

Right or wrong, your post was taken as an offhand remark by an uninformed newb who was seen as casting aspersions on a well regarded figure in the hobby.

You may have picked up on this already due to several rebuttal posts, but there it is.

Hopefully you are not thin skinned, and will continue to participate instead of throwing up your hands due to a minor faux pas.

By the way, welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and good people here, trust me!!

Thank you for your response, but it seems that you didn't read my post about her. As I wrote earlier, I don't know her. I had no idea who she is. The picture is a random photo that showed up while I was looking for something else. My comments are not about her, they were about the rifle. 

I am 78 years old. I have participated in interweb forums for over 20 years. My skin is pretty thick. 😉

I have been a competitive shooter in many disciplines. And at one time I tried to 'buy wins' - I think everyone who competes long enough does. But it's a fools game. The best that money can buy will do little to nothing for you if you aren't up to the task. Those who benefit most from the top gear are those who are already top shooters - that gear helps them milk that last 2% out of their abilities, it doesn't double anything. You 'buy wins' with sweat equity: get after it like the top dogs: daily, meaningful, disciplined practice. Nothing else will put you in the winner's circle except showing up at a match where there are no excellent shooters. I don't know the lady in the picture at all, but I've got $20 that says she's practiced (not plinked) for more hours in the last month than most of us do in a year.

GsT

I have been a competitive shooter in many disciplines. And at one time I tried to 'buy wins' - I think everyone who competes long enough does. But it's a fools game. The best that money can buy will do little to nothing for you if you aren't up to the task. Those who benefit most from the top gear are those who are already top shooters - that gear helps them milk that last 2% out of their abilities, it doesn't double anything. You 'buy wins' with sweat equity: get after it like the top dogs: daily, meaningful, disciplined practice. Nothing else will put you in the winner's circle except showing up at a match where there are no excellent shooters. I don't know the lady in the picture at all, but I've got $20 that says she's practiced (not plinked) for more hours in the last month than most of us do in a year.

GsT

That makes a lot of sense. The truth is that many people with lots of money to spend will buy things just for show and tell. I spent the last 20 years of my working life as a gunsmith. We specialized in tactical shotguns. You would not believe how many of our guns were returned to us for the latest and greatest upgrades, UNFIRED. Many had never been fired and probably would not be fired when returned to the customer. Hey, you don't want to get it dirty!

She does what she wants, I do what I want. I don't make comments that could be taken negatively. I have an eco boost engine in my truck, My work partner has a big V8, He hints mine is inferior to his " cause there is no replacement for displacement. I chose what works best for me in as many situations as I need it for. It's the best one for me. I prefer .25 air rifles. I don't own an air powered pistol. It doesn't suit my needs. I buy what is best FOR me and I ENJOY LISTENING AND LEARNING from other people about what is best for them and why. I learn new insights. I don't make comments that negate what others do. Unless they are legally incorrect.

If it were a big, bearded white guy holding that gun instead of a little Asian woman, would they still be "buying the win"?

VERY GOOD question!!!!!

I can buy that exact rifle from her hands but that still won’t buy me a win.

Or does it mean you didn’t pay enough for it ? Lol

you might be onto something there......

Teehee. New folks. Used to be everyone knew everyone, and shot together. Better times to me but...... .

How to modifie your way to ..... I mean Doug does do a lot of work on their airguns, it's part of a fun hobby. Naturally they both Dance well also, don't really think the shoes do it. either could win the nationals with pretty well any airgun and I believe I've seen Doug rather than take a DNF double up with a Benjamin Discovery shooter in the same class and place? And some of THE nicest folks.

Pretty sure it's the PRACTICE even more than the rifle. She dances as well as She shoots and does it in everyday street shoes, looked to me as if She had practice.

Reckon these are different rifles (or even further modded?) they were using 13 years ago. 

DCF00002.1602548010.JPG

FWBs.1602548064.jpg

Get to a FT match, the most fun you can legally have and the nicest people. 

John

As a general rule a higher level shooter will have equipment appropriate to their skill level but there are exceptions. Even then its at least a decent gun that is highly tuned and proven in practice and competition. 

For me the main attributes are having a rifle that lacks POI shifts, maintaining zero. Enough precision to enable a win. A great trigger, and good ergonomics to fit me well. Often this list is only found in more expensive rifles. 

Most of the pcp's i owned didn't give everything i wanted so i in a way bought wins.