• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How quiet is it really?

I expect a well suppressed RF with subsonic ammo is as quiet as my air rifles. And although I am diligent about ensuring that my pellets don't leave my property, I am still concerned about the potential damage of a 40g slug compared to pellets of 10 to 18g. And although both are illegal for me to shoot within the city limits, I figure I might find more leniency if an air rifle was involved.

I expect a well suppressed RF with subsonic ammo is as quiet as my air rifles. And although I am diligent about ensuring that my pellets don't leave my property, I am still concerned about the potential damage of a 40g slug compared to pellets of 10 to 18g. And although both are illegal for me to shoot within the city limits, I figure I might find more leniency if an air rifle was involved.
This is a good point. As much as we might sometimes hate the ballistic properties of diabolo pellets, they have one huge advantage over bullets. They shed their energy very quickly and in .177 or .22 a stray pellet does not pose nearly the same safety hazard past 300 yards. My HW95, for example, retains less than a foot pound of energy at 200 yards. A rimfire or centerfire bullet on the other hand is still lethal at ranges far beyond that.

Reactions: JDR and Ruzz
This is a great discussion, but I’m curious if anyone other than me feels like “just because I think it’s cool” is a justifiable enough reason for spending the money and time to get well set up with PCP airguns? I mean, all of the reasons given are legitimate ones to be sure, but honestly in my situation they’re not enough. I have some very close friends and family members who have spent more on just tax stamps than I have, and I own 5 cans and 7 SBRs. We’re pretty much all in the same boat, in that we’re all in gun friendly states, the need for backyard friendly shooting isn’t much of a motivator, quiet shooting firearms are readily at hand, and ammo cost and availability isn’t a barrier. Quite literally the only reason that I’m the only one who owns PCP airguns is because none of my friends think that they’re cool enough…
Yet.

I’m trying to change that. 😁

Reactions: DoubleM and Ruzz
This is a great discussion, but I’m curious if anyone other than me feels like “just because I think it’s cool” is a justifiable enough reason for spending the money and time to get well set up with PCP airguns? I mean, all of the reasons given are legitimate ones to be sure, but honestly in my situation they’re not enough. I have some very close friends and family members who have spent more on just tax stamps than I have, and I own 5 cans and 7 SBRs. We’re pretty much all in the same boat, in that we’re all in gun friendly states, the need for backyard friendly shooting isn’t much of a motivator, quiet shooting firearms are readily at hand, and ammo cost and availability isn’t a barrier. Quite literally the only reason that I’m the only one who owns PCP airguns is because none of my friends think that they’re cool enough…
Yet.

I don't know about the cool factor but these guns are for sure! I can tell you that every one of my friends and family that have seen my PCP's and the results both on paper and pests think they are very cool!

Reactions: Vana2
Yet.

I’m trying to change that.

Yet.

Someone once told me there’s two types of cool.
1st cool is function and value. Getting what you paid for
2nd is you love it no matter what

2nd cool over rules 1st cool every time. Your money your life spend it the way you want but your not alone I’m right there with ya. I really think it’s super cool what people accomplish with these pcp’s

Reactions: techna
I think we operate at a disadvantage because of the low efficiency of our moderators.

It took some time and a bit of work with a lathe, but my .30 Sidewinder is now backyard friendly at 100 fpe. 0 dB and Huma mods were more effective than DonnyFL, but none of them made it backyard friendly. New internals on the Huma Mod50 and heavily venting the shroud and adding potscrubber padding between the shroud and the barrel made a night and day difference.
That’s very interesting

Very interesting results. Thanks for sharing.

I do beg to differ on the cost comparison aspect though.
While many in the airgun world are operating a $5,000 platform like you are, there are probably many more who like myself are doing just fine with a sub $1,000 AG platform.

I shoot a Benjamin Akela 22 at 34fpe. I paid around $500 for it, my scope - around $100, Donny FL Tanto - 100 and I share this with a few other guns, Yong Heng compressor I have owned for 4 years now and supports several other PCPs - $250 as well.

My Akela shoots hole in hole at 30 yds a nickel at 50 yds and I have head shot several pigeons at 72 yds as well as Groundhogs at 80ish yds. I usually shoot with out the moderator as the shroud and baffles have it shooting pretty quietly, even in the backyard.

I'm not shooting rimfire where I need to be backyard friendly and I don't really want a tax stamp.

Again the results are interesting and thanks for sharing a terrific video.
I agree with what you are saying. My air venturi avenger was way quieter then the FX Impact less power and 1/3rd of the cost. (If even that much). There will be another video coming on the subject and I am taking notes of people’s thoughts. I will use your comment as a talking point. Thanks for the feedback

@Ruzz Interesting video. As a viewer using my computer's speakers, from the camera/mic placed in the target area it seems to me that they sound very very similar. Thank you for sharing your experiment.
They are very similar. So it depends on the application of what is trying to be accomplished. I think the airgun rules in some applications just as the .22 has its own place. Thanks for the feedback

I own both rifles used in your test, and the exact firearm suppressor. I agree completely. Whenever possible, the PB is the more economic much more consistent, and trouble-free platform by far. I still own about 25 PB guns and 8 airguns. There was one point made in the video that was more important than any other, in my opinion.

I was born and raised in Chicago, IL. I did not own my first air rifle until I was 48, and only then because I moved out of the city. I was denied my 2nd amendment rights to carry a concealed weapon in IL until I was 57 years old.

At 68 years old now, and living in a different state, I considered moving back to IL to die, as my wife and I have no children or family, but still know maybe 7-10 people in IL. We thought if we lived in too urban an area we'd buy a small piece of land where I could go and shoot, mostly air guns. What a lot of people may not know is, IL passed a ban which takes effect on 1/1/24, on all semi automatic weapons due to a mass shooting on the 4th of July a couple years ago. No big deal right? All the posters who blah blah about how it will never affect air guns.

Consider this: Any air gun over .177 that produces more than 20 fpe is considered a FIREARM in IL, which requires one to have an FOID card in which you must register with the state police, to obtain. You have to have that card with you anytime you are in possession of a firearm and must show it to buy a firearm or ammo, yes even pellets. Be aware the use of semi automatic weapons is not illegal, the mere POSESSION of them is illegal.

Case in point. I have a .30 Sidewinder. It's greater than .177, and produces more than 20 fpe of energy, so it's a "firearm". It's also semi automatic, so it's possession is banned in IL. The kind politicians in IL have given everyone from 10/23/23 to 1/1/24 two whole months, to produce a list of items to the state police that they owned before the ban took effect.

So much for my consideration of moving back to IL. I would only possibly go there if I were going into hospice and death was imminent. How would I be able to move there from another state with all my guns and provide such a list to the state police after the law takes effect on 1/1/24? I would have to go through an FFL just to purchase any future air guns, and will have to show my FOID card to buy pellets. Dealers will likely not ship anything to IL, they hardly do already. More importantly, WHY would I buy a piece of land to maintain, cut trails, and do wildlife habitat enhancement when I could barely legally own a weapon? What would be the purpose?

In the video, the poster mentions that in most towns-yes towns, not cities, even the use of air guns is restricted, and those restrictions are getting tighter every day and will continue to get tighter as air guns approach PB capabilities. The PB is almost always the cheapest and most stable platform for shooting, but even more restricted. There are firearms that are as quiet and even quieter than most HP PCP air guns. He demonstrates a .22 rimfire. My .22 HM2, .17 HMR and .17 WSM might even be quieter. Yes, they are coming for our air guns. IL has and will continue to lose population, both people and corporations. In addition to having some of the highest taxes per valuation, add in their gun laws which make land ownership senseless for anything but urban living and farming. One piece of land I looked at in IL was being sold because the owners company where he had a six figure annual salary was moving-to Florida.
That’s why I mentioned that without getting into it to deep in the video. Right now I can go online and just order whatever airgun I want whatever moderator I want and it comes straight to the door but that doesn’t mean it’s actually legal to use in your backyard. That sucks about IL. I think eventually all gun enthusiasts will end up in WV (my home state) where it’s still normal to see a shotgun in the back window of a pickup truck. Thanks for the comment

Reactions: Marschb
apples to oranges ---- you have to compare similar technology (equipment) used to make moderators to get meaningful data.
I get that and you were the person I was talking to in the beginning of the video and yes you are still correct, But from every test I’ve seen on moderators there seems to be only 1-2 DB sound difference (but 1db is huge in itself) and the same thing with suppressors there’s not a huge difference. I think the biggest difference will come from the gun itself. We are gonna find out I just ordered a Ruger American bolt rifle in .22 and a dead air mask 22 suppressor. As far as sound goes it should dominate both we will see.

Reactions: cavedweller
I finally got around to watching the video today. I would not bother renting or buying any test equipment. What I do recommend is repeating the test, only switch places (you shoot the Ruger and your pal shoots the FX). I've found that my guns always sound louder when I am behind them, part of it is the feeling transmitted to the body. When I sit next to my son as he shoots, the gun always seems quieter to me. Also, I liked your cost comparison arguments.

Reactions: Ruzz
I get that and you were the person I was talking to in the beginning of the video and yes you are still correct, But from every test I’ve seen on moderators there seems to be only 1-2 DB sound difference (but 1db is huge in itself) and the same thing with suppressors there’s not a huge difference. I think the biggest difference will come from the gun itself. We are gonna find out I just ordered a Ruger American bolt rifle in .22 and a dead air mask 22 suppressor. As far as sound goes it should dominate both we will see.
If you want to truly experience the difference in sound - take a BSA Goldstar SE and shoot it STOCK at 19.5 FT LBS - has a good bark
Then throw a HUMA shroud or an AZ shroud on it and the only sound you will hear is "Thawiiiip".
I have a Brocock Commander Xr that is Loud out of the Box and only a Thawiiiip with a Donny FL on it....
so much depends on the amount of air your moving and the Ambient conditions like reflective surfaces and low cloud overhead.

Reactions: Ruzz
I finally got around to watching the video today. I would not bother renting or buying any test equipment. What I do recommend is repeating the test, only switch places (you shoot the Ruger and your pal shoots the FX). I've found that my guns always sound louder when I am behind them, part of it is the feeling transmitted to the body. When I sit next to my son as he shoots, the gun always seems quieter to me. Also, I liked your cost comparison arguments.
That’s a good idea. Thanks for the feedback

I'm fascinated that a firearm is as quiet as a moderated airgun. Anyone else?
An unmoderated firearm isn’t as quiet. I read some months ago here where people were claiming that the new quiet subsonic rimfire ammo was quieter than a moderated airgun so I went out and bought some and tested them side by side and the rimfire was considerably noisier. And using the “quiet” ammo it was also much less accurate. The rifle in question was a heavy barrel CZ452 and is a tack driver with ammo it likes. Shooting CCI Quiets however it delivered 3” groups at 50 yards.

Now a moderated powder burner on the other hand, I have no doubt could be quieter than an airgun. Powder burners have a serious advantage over airguns in that they can use pressures that are an order of magnitude higher. So a PB with a long barrel and the right charge can use those high pressures to accelerate its projectile in the first few inches of the barrel, completely burn its powder charge and have relatively few gasses escaping muzzle that need to be muffled. An airgun on the other hand will need to make use of the full length of its barrel and will have more high pressure air escaping.

An unmoderated firearm isn’t as quiet. I read some months ago here where people were claiming that the new quiet subsonic rimfire ammo was quieter than a moderated airgun so I went out and bought some and tested them side by side and the rimfire was considerably noisier. And using the “quiet” ammo it was also much less accurate. The rifle in question was a heavy barrel CZ452 and is a tack driver with ammo it likes. Shooting CCI Quiets however it delivered 3” groups at 50 yards.

Now a moderated powder burner on the other hand, I have no doubt could be quieter than an airgun. Powder burners have a serious advantage over airguns in that they can use pressures that are an order of magnitude higher. So a PB with a long barrel and the right charge can use those high pressures to accelerate its projectile in the first few inches of the barrel, completely burn its powder charge and have relatively few gasses escaping muzzle that need to be muffled. An airgun on the other hand will need to make use of the full length of its barrel and will have more high pressure air escaping.
Yes, but this shows that a moderated firearm can be as quiet as a moderated ag. I did not know that.

Last edited: