• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How much can reg pressure affect shot count?

I've been thinking about this quite a lot since my .22 Royale 400 is not giving me more than 80 shots with a 250bar fill and a reg at 140bar. Before you ask i tell you i don't have a reg tester so i'm not very confident to change and play with reg pressure and get my own results, so i decided to make this thread trying to decide what to do in order to improve that shot count.
I've talked with AoA and they told me that most recents R400 have a reg working between 115-125bar with no hammer weight while a few R400 i've saw (including the one in Steve's review) have a reg working with 135-140bar and as far as i know with a hammer weight installed (it's necessary to open the valve longer with a higher reg pressure).
So i think it would be great if R400/Bobcat owners can share your results regarding reg pressure and shot count trying to figure out the best way to solve this since according to what i saw i'm not the only one with this issue.
Cheers

I would ask you this before you go down this path... How is the rifle performing? If it's giving you consistent velocity over the 80 shots, and it's accurate, I'd leave it alone. Personally, I'm at a point where I don't look into shot counts anymore. If I get 40-50+ I'm happy. If not, then I know something is wrong. 
MY R400 has been a dream ever since day 1. I have no idea what the reg is set to and there is only 1 person in the world whom I would trust to even touch it in that way. I won't post his name publicly, but it's not Ernest, or Alan Z, or even Ted for that matter. The rifle is happy and shooting awesome! For example, I don't shoot at the metal spinner I have out at 75 yards.... I shoot at the 1/4" steel rod FRAMEWORK of the spinner I have out at 75 yards. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 
If it is broke, sell it to me because I want one to fiddle around with. ;) 
Cheers right back at ya... I just raised that sip of JD to you! :)
Tom

Cheers to you both! I am with Tom. My .25 Airwolf will get 70 plus shots per fill. It's sweet spot is 210 bar down to 148. About 1 bar per shot That is plenty of shots! When I hunt I don't take a tank.
Tom and others on here really help us all. Don't expect them to give up information they paid serious time and money for. That's the difference between pro and hunter and those that can't go. Like me LOL.

I got your point Tom and it seems coherent but not easy to keep in mind when you're hand pumping 480cc up to 250bar every 80 shots haha. I'm not taking the time i would like with the gun to see how exactly shoots plus the scope doesn't help at all, but from what i saw it shoots lights out with some flyers once in a while, 1/15 i would say. Regarding velocities, i can't get more than 875fps with 18.1's (i guess that's because i don't have a hammer weight) but fairly consistents, 14fps of ES the last time i did a full shot string.
@2D1C That's some serious shot count for a .25 b.t.w! 
Cheers x2!! ;)

it is a compromise. if you set the reg too low, a pcp will become inefficient (waste air, use too much air to make the same unit of power by unit of air volume)
also if you set the reg to too high, you will have to refill often so end result is similar. because you have to keep the cylinder higher pressurized.

you know all the air under reg setting is not really used for making power. it just contributes to the volume.

i would start working out how much power you are willing to sacrifice for the gained shots.
.22s are more like 120bar, i am sure you can use the gained 20bars for 10-20 extra shots if you lower it to that. just detune the hammer too otherwise it will keep the valve wide open too long, so you would not gain shotcount if you left untouched.

you can find out if the gun can make power, just shoot it to 120bar and see what fps you got.

Every regulated pressure has a bell-curve sweet spot for how much speed/efficiency you get. If your pressure is lower, then the top end of the FPS starts to get less efficient.
​With my 25 caliber (Marauder), with a 190CC air tube/tank. I get 42 shots at 40 FPE (25.39 grain JSB at 840 FPS) with an extreme spread of about 1.88 percent with unsorted pellets. I am running 1800 PSI at the regulator.
​I am not familiar with the FX Royale ideal values. To discuss this effectively, you really need to bring in FPS, Pellet caliber/weight into the discussion as well. Also you need to state how much extreme spread in velocity you are willing to tolerate.