• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How durable are GX compressors you ask?

I recently bought a GX CS2 compressor for my neighbor. Now he's a great guy, but he's the guy that tightens every screw so tight that you'll never get it loose, loctites scope ring screws so tight that the scope won't adjust. You name it he ham hands it. Well, I wasn't even sure he was using his compressor yet, so I went over to see if he had started using it, and he had been for over a year now. He has never checked it for moisture, or greased it, He pumps up his Daystate Huntsman and FX Cyclone with it. No filters, other than the cotton ones already in GX compressors. He just hooks up the gun and closes the bleed and starts the pump, stops the pump and bleeds it, and shuts it off, no fans running after, and that's how it goes. I would consider this the worst "use case" ever for these compressors. Well, I tried to give him some pointers on how to take care of them, but to no avail. I took one look at probably the most beautiful Daystate Huntsman, I've ever seen, and it made me sick. It looks like it was drug behind a car. I've bragged about how beautiful that stock was before. I sold him the gun, and at the time, I thought it was gorgeous, far better than any Daystate I'd seen before or since. Such a shame, but hey, it's his to do with as he wishes. I couldn't stand it any more so I asked if I could dismantle his compressor and take a look to see if there was any damage, and he agreed. There was some pretty massive rust on the outlet from not keeping it blown out and not having any maintenance, and the high pressure piston was showing the beginning signs of too much heat, but the seals were ok at least. I cleaned it up and put it back together and am still amazed that that is all the damage I found.

Bottom line: These compressors are pretty bulletproof. I know he's filled nothing but rifle cylinders that are in the 225cc range, so that's good, but still, amazing to abuse a compressor and not do any real damage. I would doubt he's ever turned it on against pressure in the line, but I'm reasonably sure he never has the bleed open before starting the thing. I'm convinced after having three myself and his makes four, that I'll be sticking with GX for a long time. I think the CS2 is the best way to get started with pcp. I have a CS3 that I use a lot, but still like to use a CS2 almost daily, it's the little workhorse for me. I've never had the suto stop on my CS3 fail, but I really don't like trusting it, and when I fill a gun, it usually only takes a few minutes. Even I have that long of an attention span:)

Well, I dunno, the way he had the compressor setup, was by pure chance, with the hose below the gun, so the moisture stayed in the hose and was caught by the tiny filter in the gauge block. The fittings are steel, obviously, so rust is easy to find when that little filter stays wet all the time, so he had some luck. I'm trying to educate him on the moisture problem and the need to have a bit of extra filtration, but it's an uphill battle. I also think he needs to open the gun's cylinders and have a look inside every so often, but I'm telling you right now, that's not gonna happen. Some people just seem to live dangerously and the good Lord protects them.

Reactions: CaptainBravo