How do you zero your hunting scope?

c29a7211c7adda1c71dd017697ad286e.jpg
Do you go for max point blank range? I find zeroing in the neighborhood of 25-28yds gives a nice balance of point blank range and a good point blank range with high angle shots. As a squirrel hunter, shots up in the trees are not rare. Plus a 28yd zero has me ready for 25m bench rest shooting. Many of my air rifles are zeroed at the all purpose 28yds.

Hawkes Chairgun program is definitely an asset when it comes to this. If you know your scope height simply test out the ballistic curves for different angles and try to find one that doesn't require much hold under. I've found this translates to roughly 25 yards as well, however really high scopes may find a different sweet spot. Keep your scopes low squirrel hunters. 

You can say that again NutterBane! I love my 25 cal condor SS. It is light, accurate and packs a punch...... but if i get a shot at 15 yards or less and God forbid at an angle up a tree, by the time I check my range card and decide where to shoot due to the angle ,the squirrel is back in his den wearing a smoking jacket relaxing. That gun was really made for longer range shots. I will never get rid of it but wish I thought of scope height before purchase.

My first zero on the way up is at 27 yards and the next coming down is at 50. This way from around 20 to 55 it is either plus or minus around a half inch. The kill zone on most things I hunt is about an inch so this provides me with good distances and if I am off it should still be in the kill zone. 

Critta, I have an Escape SS so I feel your pain with the shots up to 15 yards. I keep forgetting to hold over for them so most squirrels that close get away.