• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

How about not using 100% lead for slugs?

Here's a thought how about not using a 100% soft lead but a lead alloy instead for lighter weight slugs that are the size of full size slugs. For example you can have a slug the size of a 40 grain 22 but only weight 34 or 30 gr thus allowing higher bc. Easier to obtain high speeds? And with the new Pantera magazine even longer slugs can be made but still maintaining lighter weight.

Thoughts?

Allen

Last edited:
Only reliable way to measure ballistic performance is BC which is derived from sectional density. With a fixed diameter of.22 inch you want as much mass as possible, length will NOT make any difference at the same mass and cross section besides creating more bore drag plus more difficult to stabilize. Ideally you want something even heavier than lead so it can be shorter so less bore drag and easier to stabilize.

Speed alone only helps with drop given same BC, higher BC slugs shot at lower speed will out run lower BC slugs shot at higher speed down range. Think 6.5 spanking 308 pass 700 yards, 35 grain .22 slugs at 850fps will spank 23 grain .22 slugs @1000fps pass 100 yards.

Last edited:
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
How heavy is your locomotive and at what speed:
Look at snow as air.
You have to plow the same amount of space but the lighter you go the less mass you have and struggle to push through.

Lets say you could form a bullet from Aerogell an launch it at 2000fps, how far would you think it would travel. Almost zero bullet weight and almost zero energy.

Scinece not pixie dust. Mass is king!

So, basically it is not possible to have a higher bc slug at the same weight because of the mass?

Allen

It is possible based on limited room to make it more aero dynamic using different shape or contact areas design. Most notable is boat tail and nose shapes to make the bullet more aero dynamic in the air and ridges on the contact area to reduce bore drag.

I've been thinking of casting bismuth/tin slugs for customers who want lead free slugs. The downside is cost, especially bismuth being about $12/lb and tin $30/lb... Not very cost-effective unless you absolutely NEED lead free.
They might be " LESS EXPENSIVE ", as an Alternative for a " HUNTING PELLET OR SLUGS "...?

Lead-Free Rimfire are EXPENSIVE $$$ .... :oops:

CCI COPPER: Box of 50
$14.99

Color: Copper

And..They are ** NOT ACCURATE ** in any of my half-dozen Rifles ...:mad:

EDIT:

I purchased a few boxes of " NORMA ECOSPEED ", but haven't attempted to test-fire them in " My Rifles "..

.22 LR – 24 GR – NORMA ECOSPEED – LEAD-FREE – EXTREME VELOCITY – QTY 50​

CALIBER.22LR
BULLET TYPECOPPER PLATED, ZINC CORE

Regular price in my area ( Big Five Sporting Goods )

$16.99 per Box of 50.

Last edited: