• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Holdover labeled on Parallax Wheel vs. yardage

I'm just starting out with FT and I've done it both ways and prefer the yardages for my use. The reason is if I change my speed or pellet those holdovers don't work sometimes. I also, switch scopes around on different guns. Usually the yardages on that scope wheel and that scope are the same no matter what gun or pellet Im shooting. Now if you have no intention of changing a thing and leave it alone(which is what I prefer) then I see no problem in doing that at all. I bracket on longer shots if I can and I like to compare my scope wheel to my bracket and it's just easier with the yardage marked. I know several guys I shoot with that just do the holdover and do great. I'm finding out it's whatever you have confidence in your setup and do what works for you and not what others(me included) think is best.

Thanks
Jon

I’ve found It nice to have both, but if your changing pellets and speed it can be tedious to keep editing stuff. Keep in mind that I also am new to the FT experience!

IMG_0622.png

Oh this might get interesting ;)
I'm down to two guns for my open gun for next year it's either a US FT unregulated or a RAWTM 1000. I finally got to hold a US FT Friday and shoot it and shot lights out it was the hunter one to the one I want also. I have shot some RAWs but they are the hm1000 and or too lightweight for what I like. I'm really leaning to the US FT.

Jon

I marked the holdover on my wheel, and it works decently enough. All though I have found over time my eyes just don’t seem to focus the same every time, so many times the holdovers don’t match up well.

Depending on my rest, and how much shooting I have been doing in a day, the best focus can change the wheel by up to an inch of my holdover marked.

I am seriously considering going to bracketing to take the eye focus out of the picture. Then I will go back and mark my scope for distance and use the card.

I'm down to two guns for my open gun for next year it's either a US FT unregulated or a RAWTM 1000. I finally got to hold a US FT Friday and shoot it and shot lights out it was the hunter one to the one I want also. I have shot some RAWs but they are the hm1000 and or too lightweight for what I like. I'm really leaning to the US FT.

Jon
Hello Jon - as a fellow USFT owner I can chime in that he absolutely loves the gun.
I'll let him fill in the rest of the details.

Reactions: drsquall
"Does anyone else just label their parallax wheel with the holdover instead of having to use a range card?"

have seen a few competitors do that. one less thing to loose carrying around from lane to lane (or maybe thats just me... :) )

My issue though, is that youd still need to reference your data sheet for inclines or windage

You have data sheet for incline and windage?!?!
I just aim a little low for elevated, and hold off for the wind for whatever seems right for the winds of the day/moment. By watching impact points on paddles throughout the match a guy can get a decent idea of how much pellets are getting pushed around.

But separate dope sheets for elevation and varying degrees of wind is HARDCORE. And I thought I was pretty hardcore when it comes to field target.

I’ve done both.
Yardage you may sometimes second guess because you think you know the distance without ranging then when you do range it doesn’t agree with what your eye/brain saw. We’ve all done it.
Yes, you can bracket but if the base is angled (i.e. Arlington club) to discourage this or the target doesn’t have a known width base bracketing can be difficult.
Holdover is what I’m using now and have been most of the year. Currently my scores are about the same with either.

Want to try holdover but don’t want to remove the yardage tape you have now? That’s easy. Put clear tape over you existing tape if you don’t already have it. Put a piece of blank new tape over and mark it with hold-overs. Put protective clear tape over it so you don’t smudge the new tape.
Don’t like holdovers and want to go back to yardage? Simply remove the top layer of clear tape and the holdover tape you made.

Better yet, make a holdover tape with the yardage marking you feel are critical and now you have the best possible combination.

Does anyone else just label their parallax wheel with the holdover instead of having to use a range card? I just label the wheel with my holdovers at different focus distances and I do not range the actual yardage and have to look at a cut sheet. Focus on the target, read the holdover and shoot.
I shoot a Thomas as my main comp rifle. I have been using holdover for a couple of years now. I have every yard out to 21. 0 from 22-35 ish. Every 5 yards after out to 55. Scope is a Sightron 10-50x60. Works Great for me. I ditched my dope card, as it required my glasses. My back up (RAW TM1000) is set up the same with the same scope. You’re not alone. John

I've been a fan of hold over (or clicks needed) marked on the sidewheel without yardage for a long time. When on a clock, why waste time finding your range card, referring to it, translating yardage to holdover, Then your ready to read the wind, load a pellet, and get steady for your shot... VS:

focusing your sidewheel and your holdover is right there as soon as you are in focus.. now more time to read wind and get steady for a clean shot.

And why show your competitor how far you think it is to the target by having your yardage on your sidewheel?

Yes, it means a dedicated rifle and scope for the game you plan to play... and to me that's a really good thing too.

Wayne