• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

High power .177; AGT, RTI, AirMaks or?

Hi,

I’m selling my L2 and have started to look around for something new.

The gun will have to be in .177 and be capable of at least 25+ fpe as I’m hoping to use it as a dedicated slug shooter. I do not hunt, only target shooting and plinking.

I have narrowed it down to three guns:

AGT Vulcan 3, RTI Prophet 2 Compact and AirMaks Krait L.

I do realise that two of these are not even out yet. 😅

Specs on the Prophet 2 looks really good (gun itself on the other hand…); 100 shots at 22 fpe with a 80 bar reg pressure, adjustable up to 37 fpe. Have not seen any high power specs for the V3 and Krait yet?

Vulcan 3 is the most aesthetically pleasing to me. I like the possibility to adjust the plenum but adjusting hammer spring and reg pressure could have been easier.

Love the looks and all the adjustments on the Krait (ergonomics and performance). But this being a totally new platform one might expect some issues?

Any other options for a slug-capable .177? Except FX and Daystate, not interested in those. 

4E7C05D1-0E71-4A61-9F99-22C4DC3605DA.1651333674.jpeg
8A0384BF-850F-478C-89E8-4B81BFCB4FC1.1651333674.jpeg
0A5023BC-25B0-4E27-86C8-303F1676CFB4.1651333674.jpeg

My .177 Vulcan 3 shoot KO slugs and NSA 12.5 and 15.0 pretty well with next to no dialing on it ( increased reg a little on day #1 ) pushing 13.43 grain KO at +900 FPS is no problem.'

The adjustable plenum on the V3 i think matter little in the .177 caliber, maybe .22 too at least in the shorter 500 mm version, you can not get the .177 in the long version.

I have planned to try the big plenum though just to see if it would affect shot string linearity, but so far i am just going to find a sweet performing pellet, and this i will start to look into tomorrow ( Sunday )

The only downside of the vulkan 3 is its internal regulator, and hard to reach hammer spring adjuster.

Shooting almost 90 M i have no problem hitting a lid from some 4.5 mm JSB pellets screwed to a fence post, it is just about the same with pellets though here i do think some tuning will make things even better.

Mind you all the pellets i have also tried in the V3 all look very promising, i just have not yet honed in on the exact pellet i am going to focus on and after that only shoot.

I am hoping the monster redesigns will be it, at least it is the pellet i am going to experiment on first.

The Krait have me more exited than the prophet 2, so thats what i would get now that i have a vulcan 3

Having owned a Prophet Compact in .22 for a month now I'd go that route. I'm gonna pick up one of the new barrels for it whenever they come out. SorenD just got the Prophet and is shooting slugs in .177 out of it. I've debated going with a .177 barrel for slugs for mine also. Little guns got lots of power and easy to adjust which I like.

Having also owned a Vulcan 3 my vote is Prophet. Much more nimble gun and perfect for my pesting needs. If a longer and heavier gun though your ok with the Vulcan 3s are good.

Tough call as two of the three are not arrived yet although the specs on the PC 2 look good with the balanced valve I would like to see some hands on field tests first. Hopefully Alex gets one to review when they arrive. The krait also has an externally adjustable reg as well as 'slug' barrels although not sure of the specs on them. V3 seem to be a little too rugged for some guess it depends if you can try one and see how it fits, they certainly have power and if its for bench shooting that could work in their favour. 

If it were me I would wait for the PC 2 or the full length version.