• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning $$$$$$$$$$$ HEY FX $$$$$$$$$

I will most likely get in hot water for this but here it goes. I have two FX guns the Crown and Impact in.25. I have probably over $3000.00 in each modifying, repairs, bling, ect ect ect. The one thing that is baffling to me is, Why FX has done NOTHING to address the issues of these guns dropping their point of impact 2-3" at 100yards after a few minutes being idle. There is a pretty lengthy and informative thread in here on how shooters of your guns are trying to figure this out themselves. These guns starting at around $2000 each should come ready for trouble free enjoyment. I see vids on this or that improvement or mod. I would imagine there are well over 100,000 of these guns sold worldwide, that said why hasn't this issue been addressed? It's not a new problem at all I've had this issue from day one. The Impact has a much bigger issue than the crown for me at least. I think we all deserve answers and a solution.

I am not try to bash FX guys. I like to go to the range shooting precisions shots at Chinese marbles, lighting matches, splitting cards, ect, all my guns will do this, But if I want to go hunt afterwords? I bring my Raw as well it doesn't suffer from this issue

Dennis

There are at least two known causes, regulator creep and O-ring stiction. In many cases, creep can be overcome with adjustments to the hammer spring tension and valve limiter. The stiction issue appears to benefit from adding a close-tolerance backer ring and perhaps a less sticky O-ring than the OEM polyurethane.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/fx-impact-mk2-slower-first-shot-no-reg-creep/

Reactions: bd2021
I had an FX Crown with similar issues, and I finally got tired of messing with it and it found another home. I have a Royale 400, and IMO it's far and away the best platform that FX has ever made. Innovation is great, but too many companies lose focus of how that innovation should contribute to long term performance. It seems that many owners report incredibly good luck with the newer FX offerings, through many thousands of rounds. I guess we all must be guided by our own experiences.

Nervoustrig has it right. I have over ten thousand rounds through my MK1 Impact. When I have more than one low velocity round, that impacts my groups at 100 yards, I simply tune it better by adjusting my hammer spring a little. It's really not that difficult to get rid of most or all of the problem this way. 

I will usually leave a low single first shot alone as I don't hunt or pest, at this time, and it makes no difference to me. Still a little more hammer spring may fix that also.

Edit;

Sorry, I fergot that the MK1 does not have this problem. But with the new plenum installed I expect it would be the same?

On a positive note, that’s why there are other guns out there. Of all the airguns I’ve owned, my Impacts, and I’ve had three, are leadaholics. I have 10 year old PCP’s that haven’t had as many projectiles through them as a 6 month old Impact. Can they perform? Yes but figuring them out is the hobby within the hobby. I have one Impact that has been very cooperative and consistent. It’s configuration, caliber, lack of major mods plus other things is giving me clues as to where we and they make mistakes. But I agree with you 2D, guys are easily misled by commercials and forum bragging, then get in over their heads with these guns. Dry firing a $2k+ gun a couple times before you shoot it really is unacceptable considering you don’t have to do that with many cheap guns. It’s funny what a person will put up with when they’re in love.

On a positive note, that’s why there are other guns out there. Of all the airguns I’ve owned, my Impacts, and I’ve had three, are leadaholics. I have 10 year old PCP’s that haven’t had as many projectiles through them as a 6 month old Impact. Can they perform? Yes but figuring them out is the hobby within the hobby. I have one Impact that has been very cooperative and consistent. It’s configuration, caliber, lack of major mods plus other things is giving me clues as to where we and they make mistakes. But I agree with you 2D, guys are easily misled by commercials and forum bragging, then get in over their heads with these guns. Dry firing a $2k+ gun a couple times before you shoot it really is unacceptable considering you don’t have to do that with many cheap guns. It’s funny what a person will put up with when they’re in love.

Dry firing when shooting paper or benchrest might work ok. 
but from a hunting perspective it’s a no-go.

I have a story to tell, only to picture the parallels.

I am in Canada(Toronto) and I was driving a VW Golf Diesel, maybe a half million kilometres... It had a turbo, and I did a stage 4 chip tune (that was some serious sheit just to tell you that). I am not going to elaborate how the turbo is working and what it needs to perform the best, but I had learned things.

I've drove that diesel turbo across North America for years...cold and hot and dry and wet air...up in the mountains and down in Florida. And the engine was behaving different, I could feel the torque was different, the acceleration, the fuel consumption...I had DIY electronics installed to measure the performance just for my own fun.

These are mechanical gizmos, one model designed and built for the entire North American Continent. But have you ever think about how big of differences we have in temperature+air density+oxigen level+and you name it, when you move on google map just for couple hours?

How can we expect a same performance - from a machine - at my place and at your place. We talking about metal and rubber...you change 5C and you got different tolerances...

At my place NBR70 is hard rubber the entire year but at your place you must replace it with NBR90 or BUNA90 because feels like a bubble gum you chew the entire day.

I read through that thread mentioned above. I said also that my local FX Rep (AGS) knew that "our guys" here up North using NBR90...because the "elements" is different.

Hope this was enough for a quick picture, from an engineering perspective?