• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help with the different HW under lever springers

Hello all,

New guy with a newbe question. As some of you may remember I have declared my intent to purchase a high end under lever spring gun at some point this year. Now if you read this and decide to reply please do not say something like "You should get the HW30" etc.. I get it, some folks love their break barrel guns, but that's not what I need help with. I'm interested in your advise only if it pertains to under lever guns from Weihrauch. (This also means NO PCPs)

Now that I've defined what advice I'm looking for, here are my questions. 

This all started with my mentioning in a previous post that I was interested in the HW97. Someone one chimed in and suggested that I not pass over the HW77 as well. I was surprised. I was under the impression that the HW77 was an older model which Weihrauch replaced with the 97. I guess this was my mistake. So what are the major names and models of under lever guns Weihrauch makes? Also if you have specific insight due to owning a particular model I'd love to hear your stories. Which model do you have,? or did you have,? and what are your likes and dislikes of the model? 

Again my request ... I'm starting this thread for the purpose of educating me on the pros and cons of the under lever modlel springer guns Weihrauch has to offer, can the discussion please be kept to the Weihrauch under lever models only.

I have found this list to possess a large number of friendly knowledgeable folks, and I am very glad to have joined it. I just know you guys have a wealth of knowledge and appreciate the willingness with which you folks offer it.

Thanks,

Spaceblue 

The current 77k and 97k (k meaning carbine) are essential the same gun. The 77 has a more sleek hunter style stock and iron sights and 97 has more of a heavy target style stock and a muzzle break with no sights. The power plants are the same! 

There is a long version and it's the original HW77 with no k attached to the model number. Not to familiar with the HW57 but I think its shorter stroke and a little less power. I currently have a 97k in .20 cal and just love it. I had a Beeman Santa Rosa 77k a few year back in .20 also but got a wild hair one day and sold it. Kicking myself from time to time over that decision!!

James from Michigan, 

The HW77 has no integrated moderator.....will bark

The bulge on the muzzle of the HW97 is just a muzzle weight-The R9 breakbarrel has one too.

images

The current HW underlever models also include the 97, 77 & 57 The 97 has no sights where the 77 & 57 do. The 57 is the least expensive and has the auto rise breech magazine where no other HW models do it is lower velocity and lighter overall too

Yes I noticed that in my reading. What is that auto rise breech? I would imagine that adds a level of complexity. 

I don't own one so not super familiar with the 57 but looks like as the underlever is cocked it pushes up a block where then a pellet is loaded into. Not sure if it's auto or manual to lowered back down inline with the barrel & compression tube port. I have heard complaints of that area popping up upon firing others say no issues? Sound slightly similar to my Theoben Dual Magnum "pop up loading port" you can see it on the lower left of the full page below. To see the HW57's specs and pictures do a search or go to Pyramid Air's site

1547173768_8186608015c37ff88f05c57.24872068_181 Dual Magnum instructions.JPG

The HW77 has no integrated moderator.....will bark

The bulge on the muzzle of the HW97 is just a muzzle weight-The R9 breakbarrel has one too.

Early 97s had solid brakes, but current models have hollow brakes with a removable end cap. Tinbum Tunes makes a drop-in baffle kit. Weihrauch makes a full length silencer that screws into the 97 brake body, as well as a clamp on silencer for the 77K.

I have a .177 97K and a .22 77K SE. To me, the 77K seems like more of a classic field gun, and the 97 more of a sleek target gun. They are both awesomely accurate.

In the past I had a full length HW77 (not a "K",) but I didn't like how muzzle heavy it was.

The HW57 is an underlever version of the modern HW50S. The pop-up breech design keeps the receiver lightweight and slim compared to the tube within a tube design of the 77/97. I've not shot a 57, but I own two late model HW50s, and I love their power to weight balance. 

Have fun! 

Well suddenly all my questions become moot. Just after starting this thread I browsed the classified ads on another airgun site and found an AA TX200 in .177 with a walnut stock for sale. After a conversation with the owner I've decided to purchase that rifle. Sorry to all you Weihrauch fans but this was the exact gun I have been looking at along with the HW97. Fate made my decision for me.

Thanks to all who have answered my questions.

Spaceblue