• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help with Cricket indexing issue

zebra

Sep 29, 2015
New York
I wanted to ask if anyone with Cricket experience could offer some advice on how to fix one when the mag won't advance all the way to the next pellet when you operate the side-lever?

I know how to use the Cricket so it is not a case of me not pushing the mag release lever forward when putting a new mag in. It worked fine before. This is a new problem.

It started a few days ago. I have never adjusted any of the factory settings but when I went to cock it, it went off and put a pellet through my wall, as if someone had made the trigger too light. I tightened the trigger adjustment screws and that made it so the hammer stayed back when I cocked it but the mag would not advance (like it was stuck). I tried loosening the screw for the bit that holds the mag in place at the bottom of the breach and that allowed the mag to be indexed manually but, in auto indexing, the mag only advances 2/3 of the way and I have to click it into place by hand for each shot. 

I took off off the plate that covers the indexing mechanism and as far as I could tell, it all looked like it should in terms of there being no parts missing or snapped etc but I didn't take the mechanism out.

I understanding that indexing issues are common. Is there a common fix I could try myself? Any advice would be really appreciated...

Ok I'll give it a go. Thanks for the suggestion. I can tell that this has a chance of working. I'm not sure I'm happy about using a bit of tape as my long-term solution in a $1500 air gun that is only a few months old though. 

do you happen to know if this fix is needed because of an issue with that part? I.e. If I asked Kalibrgun to send me a replacement part, would that fix this issue or is the actual problem caused by different part?

The guys at Kalibrgun have been good about sending me a replacement part when my Cricket arrived with a scratch on the anodized metal and Precision (who sold me the gun) refused to help. Still, I think they should use better quality metal for air guns in this price range. 

You may have already checked this but my mags used to get hug up if I didn't push the pellets in all the way. Now I run my finger over the skirt side and check for any edge remotely sticking up. Since I started doing this it never happens. It only takes a very slight edge to keep the mag from advancing. Sorry if this is to basic but it took me awhile to figure out how it was hanging up. I guess I'm a little slow!
Good luck!
Doc

It's not a pellet seating issue. It doesn't advance all the way with no pellets in the mag. I had been using for months with no issues. This is a new problem.

i couldn't get the tape thing to work. The bit that slots into the the crenellations on the mag to push it round to the next pellet seems like it is not moving enough to turn the mag all the way. 

It's really frustrating that I can't see what is causing the problem. Does anyone know of a more permanent fix (that doesn't involve jamming bit of tape into small moving parts)?

I have this horrible sinking feeling that I am about to be without an air gun for months while trying to use the manufacturers warrenty....

I call Ernest Rowe "The Cricket Whisper". He charges a very fair price, has fast turn around and excellent communication.

If all that is not enough he has shared his knowledge with everyone. TCW helped a buddy of mine out through email who did not have him tune his Cricket. That type of attitude and behavior is pretty uncommon, but ya gotta respect it.

I've not notice him post on TAG, so if you can't find him there search The Yellow.

Zebra,

You stated that the magazine doesn't index all the way and cycle into the next slot completely and that you have to manually click it into place. It could be that the ball spring tension adjustment screw (that sits on the bottom of the action below the magazine), is set in too much. Try loosening the screw to see if it will resolve the issue. 

"spinj"Zebra,

You stated that the magazine doesn't index all the way and cycle into the next slot completely and that you have to manually click it into place. It could be that the ball spring tension adjustment screw (that sits on the bottom of the action below the magazine), is set in too much. Try loosening the screw to see if it will resolve the issue.
That was the first thing I adjusted. When this first happened to my Cricket, the mag would not turn at all, not even manually. It was as if someone had tightened the ball spring tension and loosened the trigger screws so it fired a pellet when I pulled the side lever back. 

To to get it "working" again, I tightened the trigger screws so the trigger is not as light as it was before but the hammer stays cocked when I pull back the side lever. Then I loosened the ball spring tension so the mag could turn. I tried loosening it all the way until the mag wouldn't stay in place at all and then back to just before the point where the mag wouldn't turn at all. There appears to be an additional problem as this did not make the mag index again.

I wish I could work out what happened to the Cricket to make these adjustments suddenly necessary. Nobody else touches it other than me.... It's so frustrating. 

Problem&solution:

(Same problem in my cricket)I have found this in other forum:
I have found the problem with indexing of cricket magazines is down to the indexing cam bending upwards, when these parts are cut out with the EDM machine the cut left where the wire has gone in to cut the pin hole closes up causing the tip of the cam to move upwards, so when you cock the gun the indexing cam doesn’t move far enough down to align the next pellet, I have had 4 people come with the same fault, my solution to this problem is to put the gap so the 2 sides are parallel to each other and then fill the gap with silver solder to prevent the gap closing up again.

"cubo"Problem&solution:

(Same problem in my cricket)I have found this in other forum:
I have found the problem with indexing of cricket magazines is down to the indexing cam bending upwards, when these parts are cut out with the EDM machine the cut left where the wire has gone in to cut the pin hole closes up causing the tip of the cam to move upwards, so when you cock the gun the indexing cam doesn’t move far enough down to align the next pellet, I have had 4 people come with the same fault, my solution to this problem is to put the gap so the 2 sides are parallel to each other and then fill the gap with silver solder to prevent the gap closing up again.
Please can you tell me which piece is the "indexing cam"? Which gap does this refer to and how do I move it? 

Please excuse my ignorance on this. I am familiar with how the indexing works from looking at it but I don't know the technical name for any of the parts except for the screws. The only context I have ever heard the word "cam" being used is short for camera. I am capable of following instructions if I can tell which bits we're talking about though.

Is the cam the spring tensioned metal finger that slots into the crenellations on the mags to push it round to the next pellet?

"cubo"Sorry for my bad english.
You don't have bad English. I just don't know what all the parts are called. 

I read it a few times and I think I know what it means now. I just don't understand how solder can be added without blocking the part from moving. Can an anyone post a pic with an arrow to show where the solder is meant to go?

I am going to ask Kalibrgun for a new part before I try that. I'm not sure this is the issue with my Cricket anyway. Whatever happened caused multiple parts to need adjustment. 

The hammer spring, trigger position, trigger weight and mag indexing all got screwed up overnight and the poi shifted right and down. 

I'm having the same issue as described by the original posted back in 2016. Here's a quick video showing the action not moving the magazine quite far enough. It sure seems like the indexing cam arm isn't moving far enough. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I neglected to mention that this started happening AFTER I did my 1st disassembly to pull the regulator out of the tube. I guess this could be a coincidence since I never touched anything besides removing the trigger rod yoke from trigger itself. I don't see how anything I did in this process could have affected the mag indexing. (Famous last words, right?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmi2ki3Hs2I

And here are some close-up pics for reference.

Fully advanced:

1577378941_7608432145e04e47d04f065.36287475_IMG_20191226_094356.jpg

Indexing arm removed and magazine pin pulled back:

1577378995_2933941125e04e4b32af2d4.41670427_IMG_20191226_095149.jpg

Indexing arm:

1577379065_9993888785e04e4f9483aa9.57191327_IMG_20191226_094952.jpg

1577379091_3517714465e04e5133ad1a6.87809809_IMG_20191226_094845.jpg

Thanks!

EDIT: I neglected to mention that this started happening AFTER I did my 1st disassembly to pull the regulator out of the tube. I guess this could be a coincidence since I never touched anything besides removing the trigger rod yoke from trigger itself. I don't see how anything I did in this process could have affected the mag indexing. (Famous last words, right?)

That answers your problem. Bet you figure it out as you take it apart and reassemble it this time.