• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

help with a backpack type pcp

I am looking for something i may be able to fold up or easily remote the butt stock and put into a back pack. 

Looking at a .22 or .25. Will be using for normally sub 30 yards as i have an fx dreamline in .22 for anything longer. 

The reason for this is i want something i can take with me to the deer stands to take care of pests like racoons, squirrels and things like that, that are eating feed. I would rather not have another full size rifle to carry with me to the blind or stand. 

I would alos use this for some back yard shooting for birds and squirrels as well o i would need a way to make it as quiet as possible for using while hunting deer and so forth.

I had looked aat maybe the Benjamin Marauder Air Pistol maybe in a .22 but not sure it would have enough power, I looked at the 250 mm Leshiy but wow on the price.

Can anyone else lead in in a direction of of a brand and or model as well as a good caliber to choose for what i am wanting?

Hello I had a Marauder pistol and have used it with good results on 3+ raccoons under 15 yds but I would not go further than that. Right know my back pack gun is an L2 and very happy with that but it is pricy. Another option is an Airforce pistol with a real good moderator to keep the report down. You could even go with an older Talon ss and just un screw the tank and then put it back together once your in your stand. Well hope this helps and any questions regarding the Prod or the L2 just ask and hope I can help Eric

Kral NP03 in .22 or .25 can be set up at 25 shots at 30fpe in 22 or 40fpe in 25. Less than 6 lbs with air and lead. A small optic for 30 yard shooting or less wouldn't add much weight. 16" barrel and less than 2 minutes adding and removing the stock. Comes with threaded adapter to add a quiet device so the deer don't spook.
Screenshot_20211017-213046_YouTube.1634520687.jpg

Yeah, the leshiy is as a good as it gets, but I'm pretty sure it could get pretty loud if you ran it wide open.

If its only 30 yards I would even consider a pistol with no stock.

Off the top of my head I know folding stocks ought to be available for the marauder pistol. Which does have enough power. Just keep in mind it is already fairly long for a pistol and factor in moderator length as well as stock. Even folded, some stocks add some length. 

A couple other contenders are the Pp700 which you can aquire a folding stock for. The pp750 which has a retractable stock, and the pp800 which can be bought with a removable stock. 

I have a pp800 in .25 tuned to have 8 usable shots peaking at 28fpe. Think I paid about $160 for the gun stock included. It's surprising VERY accurate too. 

img_1_1634518247123.1634520828.jpg

I usually have a 2x pistol scope and no stock on it. And will hunt with it in pistol format. 

OH, you know what's funny. I just noticed the 25 is laying down with the wood grip on it, lol. Must be my 177 bandit in the pp800 stock

Hobbyman, 

I 2nd the leshiy classic. I have a .22 and .25i n the 250mm barrel configuration. The .25 tuned to about 30-32fpe is very quiet and would do the job in your circumstances. It's my favorite pack gun by far. That's my uncle's L2 and it's much louder and a little heavier than the classic. He still eyeballs mine and I can tell he's pissed he paid more 😁

As you probably know, when hunting you rarely get more than one shot. Both are great shooters. 

PXL_20210710_202405631.PORTRAIT.1634556322.jpg

Thanks everyone for all the info so far. 

i would rather keep my current fx dreamline tactical the way it is and buy a secondary for the purpose I need. 

I am now toying with the idea of a leshiy classic in .25. I like the leshiy 2 but at such a higher price, more weight and actually a tad bit louder not sure it’s worth it for me in what I would be gaining over the classic. 

at such a cheaper price the benj pistol is also very appealing as well as could spend a little extra money on a few upgrades if needed. 

I have not shot anything bigger than a squirrel with my Prod but it drops them reliably at 25-30 yards since I tuned it up to 16-17 fpe. Stock it did fine with head shots but if I missed the head the squirrels would run. Stock it would not shoot through a squirrel head or body but at it's current tune it will. Head shot on a raccoon probably would work but I doubt a body shot would kill them quickly. My Prod came shooting at about 13 fpe maximum.

I made my own butt stock which is very easy to remove and reinstall. It is just a piece of 7/8 OD aluminum tube I had (from a boat cover support) with discs of 3/4 plywood in each end. On one end the plywood holds a 5/16 fine thread bolt to thread into the Prod. On the other end is a 1/4 inch t-nut so I can screw on a butt pad. I made a second stock where the tubing is in sections so I have an adjustable stock for the grandkids. With it's Hawke Vantage 2-7 scope it weighs about 5 lbs.

My Prod at it's current tune without a moderator is upper 80 db at the muzzle and just over 80 db at 15 feet. I think it's pretty quiet. I did a Bstaley tune on it so the velocity variation is pretty small now for 30 shots. DonnyFL sells an adapter to put a moderator on a Prod if you want it quieter.

Thanks everyone for all the info so far. 

i would rather keep my current fx dreamline tactical the way it is and buy a secondary for the purpose I need. 

I am now toying with the idea of a leshiy classic in .25. I like the leshiy 2 but at such a higher price, more weight and actually a tad bit louder not sure it’s worth it for me in what I would be gaining over the classic. 

at such a cheaper price the benj pistol is also very appealing as well as could spend a little extra money on a few upgrades if needed.

if you don't mind spending the money, you can make the leshiy 2 considerably less noisy, but i think the leshiy 2 action is the limiting factor on quietness

if double-taps aren't a requirement, or arcade style shooting isn't appealing, the classic might work fine for much less.

being able to pop off 8 shots as fast as you can pull the trigger (<2 seconds for me) is what you get for that weight and sound penalty.

i was able to knock off 15db from the stock shroud on the leshiy 2 long by adding a MOD50, but that again adds to the price and length =/

on the plus side, am able to knock off 5db without making it any longer by only using a couple of sections of the mod50.

carslingCapture.1634689666.JPG

My backpack gun is a PP700 177 with a red dot weighting in at just over 2lbs(pistol form) with 3d printed moderator. Looked into everything else and everything else not only cost a boat load more but also more than twice as heavy. If needed I can even add a small scope and still be about 2.5lbs suppressed in carbine form with a 20 pellets in a pellet pen. I've rode my mountain bike 20 miles up and down the trails with it and didn't feel like I'm carrying a brick, hardly noticed it in fact. It's deadly out to 25 yards or 40 yards with the little scope I have for it, plus it's super sturdy with zero POI change being in my backpack.