• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning HELP !! What am I doing wrong?

I have a .22 Impact mkll compact with factory PP. I'm shooting Hades 15.86 grain pellets. My reg. pressure is set at 100 bar hammer spring is in almost all of the way and valve adjuster is about halfway between the 2nd and 3rd line. When I shoot through the chrony with power wheel set on max, I get just over 1000 fps which I like....but I have to go clear to minimum setting to get down to 970 fps. All settings on the power wheel have little effect to lower fps. Even on setting 3 I'm still at 1000 fps. What do I need to adjust to get more fps spread between max. setting and min. setting on power wheel? When I adjust the valve adjuster in it helps a bit and maybe I just need to keep going with it. When I adjust hammer spring tension it doesn't seem to make much difference, maybe it is too tight?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I could just take it over to UAG but I want to be able to do this myself. Thanks!

100 is very high for 16 grain pellets, try turn it down to 80 or even 70 then try. Watch the master class video from Ernest row by open hour valve all the way then find a speed that’s 40 FPS higher than your desired speed then crank down the valve. 

for reference my regulator is at 100 and in 22 I was shooting 23 grain slugs at 980fps with hammer spring not even all the way up. In 25 I’m shouting 26 grain slugs at 970fps with just a little bit more hammer spring. MK2 with PP got some serious power and your gun is tuned way too hot for the pellet if you ask me. 

Thanks for all the great input!

Looks like I need to back off the hammer spring and lower reg pressure a little. Maybe think about a heavier pellet.

My son got a 580cc bottle for his gun so I bought his 480 and put it on my compact, lots of shots from a full bottle of air, sounds like I will be getting a lot more when I tune the gun down a bit more.

Thanks Again for the help!

Concur with all above. 

My personal thoughts: too much gun shooting too light a pellet. Get your projectile weight up to 18 - 21gr, and let the gun stretch it's legs with some serious lead.

Hades pellets are over priced, in my humble opinion. I have been using the less expensive H & N Barracuda Hunter Extreme pellets, which have a closely related head design, and knock the living hell out of the pests I shoot with them.

Check this web site out for no shipping cost and very cost effective prices on brand name pellets: https://www.fieldsupply.com/airguns/ammo.html  Their supplies vary in caliber, but sometimes you get lucky and find a bargain to be had!

Kindly 'Ol Uncle Hoot