• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help w/Sighting Centerpoint 3-9x50mm

Had an Optimus sent to me for the one I got that was defective. They included a cheap scope which was also defective and sent me the Centerpoint 3-9x50. Can't get it to work. Every shot is low and to the right at 25 yards. Tried dialing up and to the left and its still low and to the right. Driving me crazy. What am I doing wrong? Also, I find that after a couple of shots, all the scope screws need tightening, as does the stock. Sure that doesn't help.

Sounds like another round of the cheap springer blues. Is the gun brand new? If yes, run a tin of pellets through it, clean the bore, degrease & loctite the stock screws. Don't shoot too heavy of pellets since that will usually make the shot cycle harsher. Once the gun has settled a bit, mount your scope with rings or a 1-pc. mount that have a stop pin. Loosely clamp the mount or ring with the pin on the scope groove, run the pin out enough to grab the stop hole in the gun. Slide it back till you feel it hit the rear of the stop hole, then run it in all the way.
Try reversing the mount or rings. Take the scope and run the adjustment turrets all the way down then all the way up, counting turns. Set the vertical and horizontal adjustments so they're in the middle of their range. Cut a few strips from a beer or soda can and put two under the rear ring between the scope and mount. Reversing the rings or mount should help with right/left alignment and shimming the rear mount should help with elevation.
Mark the scope with a pencil to make sure it's not sliding in the mounts and mark the gun to make sure the mount isn't sliding.
Good luck,
John
PS-I've had good luck with the 1-pc. mounts from Leapers/UTG, they're cheap, but work well.

Thanks. Looks like a retirement pasttime is getting to be a fulltime job. A little more information for you: Without the scope, just using the barrel sights, I can keep a 1" group at 25 yards. The gun finally seems to be doing what it should do, although I don't like having to re-tighten screws and making sure that the stationary sights stay stationary. I don't like the Centerpoint scope as its really difficult to keep the right eye relief distance. Get it wrong and can't get a full picture of the target. I haven't been able to figure out what up-down, left-right adjustments work. So far, left-right is good, but up-down is all over the place. Having the mounts and scope support screws loose makes it all the more complicated and I find that as I approach 80 I just don't have the patience with this BS. Anymore advice is welcome. I'm calling the company and speak to the manager who sent me the upgraded scope to replace it. It's more than I need and it fuzzes out at 25 yards or under which is what I use for targets and squirrels...BTW, what's your choice for a air rifle at under $200?

Hi, Engliss,
I'll share my experience with inexpensive springers. I had a few, they made me crazy trying to diagnose accuracy issues. I finally caved in a bought a Beeman R9, mounted a $50 leapers 3-9x32 on it and proceeded to go out and have fun! While I learned a lot fooling with the cheap stuff, I would opt for a higher quality gun to start with. I have no experience personally with the Walther Terrus, but it's German made and seems to be well regarded. AOA has them for $189 (they also have the HW95 which is the same gun as the Beeman R9 for $319). Go to their site and click on "specials". Airgun Depot has refurbed RWS 34s for about the same price, they were in stock yesterday. I have shot the RWS 34, they are nice guns. I am not a fan of the Crosman/Benjamin breakbarrel guns but I've only had one (was a POC), lots of folks here seem to like them though.
As far as your scope issues, what mount are you using? If the scope or mount are sliding you'll never get any accuracy. I don't know how much experience with scopes you have, here are a couple videos you may find helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot5wz_3vZS0
http://www.pyramydair.com/article/How_to_mount_a_scope_Part_1_October_2008/53
John

Not sure what you mean by 'sliding mount. The barrel is grooved for rings which I'm using. The parallax setting on this scope is 100 yards. Most of my shooting is around 25 yards and 100 yards is way out of my safe shooting with neighbors. This causes a problem with sighting: the parallax at 25 yards is present and I can't calibrate for yardage on this scope. it's fixed t 100. Any fix to this? Also, I think I had the sighting adjustments backwards. From what i saw on the internet, the adjustment was made to the "point of impact" not the target. So if I was 6" low and to the right, I would use the wind adjustment down and left/right to the left. I thought I had to adjust up and right. Am I making myself clear?

in the front of your scope there should be a ring around the lens. on this ring should be two notches. get/make a spanner wrench to fit these notches and reparallax your scope to 25yd by turning the the lens in or out. there may be some glue.loctite/epoxy holding the adjusting ring tight. you can use heat to break the bond but do so with great care.
if you don't want to reparallax your scope then your only choice is to buy another one parallaxed at the distance you prefer.

"engliss44"Not sure what you mean by 'sliding mount. The barrel is grooved for rings which I'm using. The parallax setting on this scope is 100 yards. Most of my shooting is around 25 yards and 100 yards is way out of my safe shooting with neighbors. This causes a problem with sighting: the parallax at 25 yards is present and I can't calibrate for yardage on this scope. it's fixed t 100. Any fix to this? Also, I think I had the sighting adjustments backwards. From what i saw on the internet, the adjustment was made to the "point of impact" not the target. So if I was 6" low and to the right, I would use the wind adjustment down and left/right to the left. I thought I had to adjust up and right. Am I making myself clear?
Hi, Engliss,
When you adjust the turrets on your scope, what you're doing is moving the crosshairs to agree with the point of impact. Try watching this video and it should help your understanding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLirsAFpsfE

As to my mounting instructions, most spring-piston guns have grooves in the receiver/compression tube and a stop hole or lug of some sort to prevent the mounts and scope sliding rearward from recoil. When using mounts with a pin, you loosely clamp the mount in the grooves and slide the mount back till the pin hits the rear of the stop hole. If there's no stop hole or lug, you'll probably need a substantial mount like a BKL to grip the grooves well enough to hold the scope steady.
As John in Ma says, it sounds like your scope either needs to be re-parallaxed or you need a more suitable scope, ideally one rated for spring-piston airguns.

hi engliss 44 man i do know what ur going tru.i started out with a gamo bone collecter 177 that thing recolled so bad it bent my scope ring stop and it eats those centerpoint scopes.when i had it shooting good it was a bad mama jama. i gave up after this last centerpoint. 4 is enough.i was looking at this one piece mount it has a spring to absorb the recoll. i dont have a name or price but some of these guy will know. i watch rick at airgun tv hes been around a long time. he likes leapers there not to bad on price. i bought a 3x12 mill dot and put it on my gamo accu underlever 500 plus shoots .22 cal its held up. i think i payed 160 tax and all at my local gun store. pyrmayd air has alot of them and cheper than what i payed. jhonl57 is pertty sharp i belive he knows this subject well. u my have to buy something heaver and better made to get past this stuff. i have a rws 34 and its a dream. i got the rws one piece mount that comps for barrel droup and a rws 3x9 ao scope.could not be happyer. i really hate it u are having so much trouble. air gunning should be fun and these springer rated scopes ( crosman centerpoints) should work. let us know how this turns out.

First I want to thank you guys for educating me. I think i finally got it. The scope I asked about is not going to work for me. The parallax is set too far. I have another Centerpoint, 4x32 with a parallax setting of 30 yards, which i set up on the rifle. Now here's the weird part.The air shoot was high and left. When I adjusted the reticle elevation, the reticle moved left/right. The wind adjustment moved the reticle up and down, instead of left of right. Is the scope set up ass-backwards or am I?