• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help me pick my first Air Rifle since being a kid in the woods (first post)

Major, thanks for sharing your quest to revisit airguns. I was drawn back to the wonder of air powered weapons just a few years back - I'm in my early fifties and I enjoy shooting and collecting as one of my primary interests now. I think most of us on this forum were motivated to get into airguns by our boyhood memories of them, and that's cool.

My advice is for you to look for a vintage 760 like the one you had in good condition or fix one up. I just fixed up a first variant I found for $5 in a yard sale. Needed a few new parts and elbow grease, but turned out nice. I enjoy working on them, you may not be so inclined. These early Crosmans are out there and many merchants reseal and test them.

Next, go look for the pellet gun you wish you had as a kid. Again, look for the vintage version and score one. When I was a kid, I was envious of my buddy's Daisy 880. I had spittin' image which sucked in comparison. But the piece I really lusted over was his old man's Crosman 130 pistol which I thought was the coolest thing I had ever held in my hands. Last winter I bought one on line for the right price. The thrill of holding and shooting it was no less for me after all these years. Magic, Man!

"poont"Major, thanks for sharing your quest to revisit airguns. I was drawn back to the wonder of air powered weapons just a few years back - I'm in my early fifties and I enjoy shooting and collecting as one of my primary interests now. I think most of us on this forum were motivated to get into airguns by our boyhood memories of them, and that's cool.

My advice is for you to look for a vintage 760 like the one you had in good condition or fix one up. I just fixed up a first variant I found for $5 in a yard sale. Needed a few new parts and elbow grease, but turned out nice. I enjoy working on them, you may not be so inclined. These early Crosmans are out there and many merchants reseal and test them.

Next, go look for the pellet gun you wish you had as a kid. Again, look for the vintage version and score one. When I was a kid, I was envious of my buddy's Daisy 880. I had spittin' image which sucked in comparison. But the piece I really lusted over was his old man's Crosman 130 pistol which I thought was the coolest thing I had ever held in my hands. Last winter I bought one on line for the right price. The thrill of holding and shooting it was no less for me after all these years. Magic, Man!
Pix, or it didn't happen!

OK, re-reading the thread, here's how I would decide:

You're looking to shoot indoors, and leaning toward a springer. 

My first choice would be the FWB300, like Joe recommended. Springers are fun, don't require any support gear, no concern about air/CO2 leaks.. This is a heavy target rifle though, so be ready for that. The side lever cocking springers, especially a lower powered one like this and a recoilless mechanism are easy to cock (great leverage) and easy to shoot well. (not hold-sensitive, due to having the recoilless sledge design)

If you want something lighter, but still accurate, check out the Weihrauch HW30s. It's about the same power level as the FWB300, but half the weight and smaller. A great plinker, and great for offhand shooting. They're also easy to cock and quiet. 

Another option, along the same line as the Daisy 953 I recommended earlier, is the 853 or 753. Those are the higher end target rifles with the same basic action, but with better stocks, sights, and triggers.They're all single pump pneumatics, low power. Even simpler than the previous two I mentioned. (but lower powered, more like 400 fps, instead of 500-600)

Yes, I was going to follow up with a disclaimer that I collect old bb guns like little girls collect dolls. I just like 'em. Shedding a beer can in the back yard is good mindless fun once in a while. Then I brush their hair, and we have a tea party...

One of the first guns I bought myself when I started getting back into it was the RWS 48 .22 which put me back a few beans, but is the finest, most trusted air rifle I have. And a killer without any doubt. Really accurate too, which strictly leaves it up to your shooting skills for results.

I think the biggest contributor to the difference in price ranges (and accuracy) is the tolerances and quality of the bore rifling. They're right, you need to spend some coin but as they say, the cost will have been long forgotten years later as you enjoy the quality. Save your money for something sweet, what ever it is. Enjoy!

Congratulations Major. I'm a little jealous, to be honest. I'm allowed, since I'm not Amish.

You said you were going to shoot indoors. I think the FWB300 is PERFECT for that.

But now, you're thinking about something higher power? Yeah, seems like you came down with The Bug. Better lock up your credit card RIGHT NOW.

Stand by on another gun purchase. Instead, buy proper support gear for the '300. Lots of pellets to try out, targets, a bum bag, targets, a trap, etc.

Major try the different JSB pellets from 7.33 up to the 10.3 . Different guns shoot some better than others . Most of the FWBs have a very tight chamber and well over half the pellet types I've tried won't even chamber in my personal gun. I think ..." Think " I have the ultimate 300 scope coming to me before a stop at the Leupold custom shop ...We will see when I get it back . Do yourself a favor and order a 177 boresnake . They work GREAT on FWB guns . I take out the brass brushes on mine but its not a have to type deal .

"JoeWayneRhea". I take out the brass brushes on mine but its not a have to type deal .
I just bought the .177 Bore Snake that is specific for airguns. They don't have the brushes in them. Yours must be for PBs, like .17 HMR or something. It's Hoppe's # 24009, bar code 026285240092.

I just cleaned 3 of my airguns with it this evening. One thing worth noting (thought not for you, at this time) is that the brass weight is too long for this to be usable in some airguns. For example, my Daisy 953, Marauder and Crosman MK177 have too short of a chamber area. But for every spring piston airgun I can think of, it's just the thing.

Thanks for the great advise on the snake.. I will be ordering one shortly.. And yes... The fire arm bug bit me bad this year... Mostly powder pistols.. That's when I realized it was a trip to the range just to pull a trigger... Then the realization that I could set up a range in the basement led me here... At the very least I can hone my skillz abit... Now I will wait for the custom stock I have being made for a Kidd innovation's 10/22 ... Then it looks like I'll begin the adoption procedure for a TX 200... :)

Its almost strange how often I reach for my FWB 300 that JWR rebuilt and I got from him. I have a TX 200 and when I'm setting up on my range I shoot it a lot. But off my deck at 35 yards I like the 300. I also shoot a mrod and assorted other air guns there. But the 300 is so simple with the side cocking level and it doesn't matter how I hold it. I just lay it across a towel and shoot. At 10 meters when I shoot that distance I expect all the pellets to go to the same spot. This week its shooting paintballs off of golf tees at 15 yards. ;)

http://s964.photobucket.com/user/DRSMajorMalfunction/library/FWB300S

First time posting pictures so we'll see... Received my FWB300S today.. Simple assembly and ran a few rounds through her...Impressed would be a total understatement.. This rifle is a work of art...And right out of the box with just installed sights it was accurate...Not the prettiest but I think I can fix that !!

Major . I think the Hatsan company makes a great gun . I really like the Dominator 200s for around 290.00 dollars They changed the gun last year .It did shoot 22 cals at around 590 fps and now its gets around 800 pfs and .177 is now at 1,000 pfs . Its not over powered like the 125 sniper or some of the other guns they have . I would not go over the 1,000 fps in a .177 cal .It has a German barrel , 2 stage target trigger , a shock absorbing system for the spring , adjustable cheek pad and a fixed barrel with under lever cocking . It gets around 1,000 fps in .177 and weighs 9.9 lbs . Its as close to the tx 200 as you can get in weight ,fps and a fixed barrel thats made solid with good parts but cost half the price . In a aoa review Jock At 32 yards, was able to put five .22 Crosman Premiers into a group that measured 7/8 inch edge to edge. That works out to .66 inch center to center. Just take a look at it before you spend 2x what you would for some of the other guns . I would stick with the fixed barrel guns , they will have a under lever or side cocking they are the most accurate and stay away from the break barrels. I'm thinking about getting this gun to use for field target . I'm trying to gather info on its grouping at 55 yards . If it will group in the one inch range at 55 yards I think it will work because the smallest opening on a target at 55 yards is 1.5 inch . They also make a carbine version that weights a little less and it has a threaded end of the barrel to add a suppressor to make it supper quite if you want to shoot at night indoors . They also make a 200w that is a wood stock . I don't understand what the guy in the video is saying but it shows the gun in wood https://youtu.be/rR8ZpOepNzk.  http://www.hatsanusa.com/products-page/spring-powered/dominator-200s/. carbine http://www.hatsanusa.com/products-page/spring-powered/dominator-200s-carbine/.