• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help me pick a scope in the $500 range

I plan on buying a new scope in the next couple weeks, but the more research I do, the more indecisive I get. I thought I wanted a Helix, but some of the reviews here have me leery. Then again, some people seem to love them.

Here’s my wish list:

FFP, zero stop, non-mushy turrets as I’ll be dialing quite a bit, parallax adjustment down to 10 or 15 yards, biggest bang for the buck

What do you recommend?

The Helix is fine if you don't mind not clear at max power and a pretty tight eyebox that is bothersine for most.

I got one for $299 from DVOR (sale is done though) and didn't push it because it did not beat the Alpha6 in clarity and eyebox and sught picture friendliness which is my minimum requirement of paying more than $200. I would have felt really bad for the next guy selling it for $299 so I returned it for credit towards my next order. The Titan wasn't clear all the way either.

Jason hi,

I was in the market for a new scope in readiness for eventual Delta wolf.

My spec was very similar to your wishes.

I bought a Athlon Argos Gen. 2 FFP 6-24 x50 ampr. 
Am delighted with it.

Turrets superb, also glass and Zero stop. All works very well. Slight niggle was very stiff Parallax wheel. Solved by using a Hawke 60mm wheel, just shaved a tiny amount of rubber from inside. Fits nice and snug. Easy to use.

Works for me.

cheers

The Midas Tac 6-24 is a great upgrade over the Argos. They can be had used for $500 and as low as $525 new (or lower if you can find a dealer lower). It would be my suggestion, based on the scopes I’ve used in that price range. Better glass, maybe better turrets (haven’t tried the new Gen2 Argos turrets), more adjustment range, no illumination though.

Also, I watched the video mentioned above and it is good for considering low priced FFP scopes, but he doesn’t limit it by MSRP. Some other scopes, like the Midas Tac would qualify almost assuredly if not for its higher MSRP. As for that Arken he has, I have almost only heard good things (never tried one), if you are ok with the 25 yard side focus and heavier weight.

Jason, 😊

here're some things you probably have considered already, but just in case, I'll attach a Scope Specs Table below, with 60+ scopes in your magnification range.

All have 10y side focus,

all have a holdoff reticle,

all exposed turrets,

and most of them are under $500.

Some specs to consider and compare, if they are relevant for your shooting scenarios: 

🔶 Is your field of view (FoV) wide enough? If you're target shooting, or hunting beyond 20 yards — no prob.

But for stalking and close range ratting, barn pesting, and shooting in low light your FoV at the bottom end of the magnification is important ➔ to allow for quick target aquisition.

Every scope has a different FoV — even if the magnification is exactly the same, so check the specs if this matters. (A 4-24x, or a 4-20x or 3-18x scope usually have a much wider FoV than the typical 6-25x, while still having a high top end magnification.)

🔶You already seem to have decided on an FFP scope (my preference as well). However, if you are mostly a turret dialer (I am), then an SFP scope will serve you just fine. This either broadens the options, or brings down the price.

🔶If it is indeed a FFP scope — at low magnifications the reticle becomes very very small, and the crosshairs become hard to see to put them on the kill zone.

To help with that, many — but by far not all! — FFP scopes have thick outside posts in the reticle. At low magnifications those thick lines guide the eyes of the shooter toward the intersection of the crosshairs, and make aiming much easier.

🔶As you are a turret dialer, for longer ranges you might want the turret to have 10mil per revolution (instead of 5 or 6) — as to avoid loosing track of how many turns you turned it up (sure, a zero stop is a different way to avoid that, or a turret turn counter).

🔶If you mainly dial your turrets, you might not want to clutter your reticles with the myriad of holdoff points that a gridded reticles provides.

🔶As turret dialer, in case you're planning on shooting real long range, you might want to have enough elevation adjustment available.... For example, some scopes only give you 50moa (and that means, 25moa up and 25moa down, unless using adjustable rings), so that's pretty lousy. With a scope with 80moa you can really reach out there.

➔ All these (and other) specs are listed side-by-side, with prices, warranty info, etc. in the Scope Specs Table.

Happy scope shopping! 😄

Matthias

❌Attachment: Scope Specs Table 3

download.png
View attachment SCOPE SPECS TABLE. For 6-20x 6-24x, 5-20x, 5-30x Magnification. 121. 2021-02.1612304791.pdf

The Midas Tac 6-24 is a great upgrade over the Argos. They can be had used for $500 and as low as $525 new (or lower if you can find a dealer lower). It would be my suggestion, based on the scopes I’ve used in that price range. Better glass, maybe better turrets (haven’t tried the new Gen2 Argos turrets), more adjustment range, no illumination though.

Also, I watched the video mentioned above and it is good for considering low priced FFP scopes, but he doesn’t limit it by MSRP. Some other scopes, like the Midas Tac would qualify almost assuredly if not for its higher MSRP. As for that Arken he has, I have almost only heard good things (never tried one), if you are ok with the 25 yard side focus and heavier weight.

Yep, the TAC does have nicer turrets than the Argos BTR Gen2, more distinct but twice/almost twice the lines on the turret because they are 10 mil or 25 moa, instead of 5 mil and 15 moa on the Argos. The TAC has very good glass, or I should state prescription, because of the way it looks.