• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help me figure out what's happening here

Percula

Sep 6, 2016
AZ
Airgun: RAW BM500x 30cal
Rest: front rest, I'll leave the name out of this for the time being... Rear rest of a ProtektorModel http://protektormodel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=291
Scope: Sightron SSIII 10-50x60 at 50x

Shooting in a 75y BR competition.

I have taken the approach of using as little human contact on the rifle as possible. Keep the gun level, in the same position on the rests for each and every shot. Now the 30cal has some recoil, there is a "stop" on the front rest, so fire and push the rifle forward until it hits the stop.

So I'm in the "sight in" phase pre competition and I notice something. Pull the trigger, the gun "jumps". The crosshairs are on top of the shot (POI), but not where they were when I pulled the trigger (POA). Over and over I see this happening. Most of the time the "jump" is to the right and down, sometimes though it'll be right and up or left and down. When this happen and the pellet isn't a flyer, the shot lands exactly where the crosshairs end up resting.

Okay I think, maybe I need to hold this guns recoil. So I try various grips, pushes, adding shoulder, etc, etc. Bottom line is the "jump" is reduced but the effect is the same. Unless its a flyer pellet, where ever the crossharis end up stopping is where the POI is.

I suspect the front rest is goofy. But I also wonder about the very hard rear bag. 

So those with good front rests, does your gun "jump" around on the rest?

Percula. Welcome to the world of BR. Just damned exasperating. My rests are similar to yours and I'm shooting a Boss 30cal. I've noticed the recoil and rotation you mention. I assume the rotation is from spinning up the pellet. But then I've also noticed that the rotation can be caused if I fail to pull the trigger straight back. My cheek resting on the stock can also push a rotation. I've watched some of the guys bolt their rifle down to a bench rest that weighs and costs more then my pickup. When I tried that kind of bench rest it didn't improve my accuracy. I've also tried setting the gun up and then ONLY touching the trigger. Just have to find what works for you, AND there is no garantee that it will work tomorrow. Personally I'm most consistent holding it lightly. I shoot every day and there are some days I'm just wasting lead and I don't know why. So, personally, to counteract all this frustration I've taken up making my own hard cider :) Don't get discouraged 

I also have a RAW 30 but in the HM 1000x style. The scope is a Sightron SIII SS 10-50x60. The front rest is a Chip Smith, rear rest is Protektor.

I have knobs on the front rest that can be used to force the sand bag in the front rest to not touch the stock, touch it lightly, or clamp it firmly. I shoot it clamped firm.

I don't touch the gun other than a light cheek touch, light hold on the pistol grip, and of course trigger. The rest is heavy; when I shoot there is no movement. Cross hairs stay right where I aimed. No jumps and stacking pellets on top of each other.

Thanks to all who replied. 

I talked with SRGTO04 and another experience shooter and came to the conclusion that the problem was not having everything lined up correctly. 

I shot a silhouette match match this weekend which ment changing benches four times. I was very careful to have no tension in the system. 

The gun recoiled smoothly. No jumps. The one piece I found that effected things more than any other was the rear bag of all things. I need to take some sand out of it. It's just too hard and one "ear" isn't the same shape as the other because of sand.