• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help Me Decide. I Don't Want To Go Over My Yearly Fun Budget, What Would You Do.

First thanks everyone, I've been having such a blast in this new hobby!

I'm thinking of grabbing some new toys to enhance my enjoyment, but not sure if I'm going too far overboard.

Currently I have Leshiy 2 in .30, Huben in .25 and a Bushbuck. For compressor I have a cheap Yong Heng and it gets used about an hour a day to top up 4 scba tanks.

Firstly is upgrading to the Alkin W31 - just wondering if it's really worth it?
Next is the Corbin Press, was thinking about grabbing it because I've been spending over $1000 a month on slugs so this one I think is a no brainer, I would have paid for this long ago I think.

And I think last even though I'm pretty happy with my 3 guns I'm thinking about adding a couple more in like maybe the Western Rattler because it has more power as well as the new Skout EVO when it comes out.

Reactions: Bandito
FYI, I live near Joe Brancatto's shop where they fill MANY tanks and PCP's daily and he has had a Bauer Oceanus for over 10 years that is running perfectly with scheduled maintenance.....I would look for a used Bauer Oceanus or Junior, and have it serviced by Bauer.....should last a long time. If Joe ever sells his....I am first in line to purchase it!

I run my YH less than an hour a month. My PCPs are 25 caliber or less so they don't use a lot of air per shot. It's nearly 3 years old and running fine but I would be concerned if I ran it as much as you do. I hope you are using good oil. I also use more cooling to keep the temperature down to 60 C on most fills.
A more expensive compressor may make sense for you but what about a backup compressor that is not expensive? If you would like one battery/car/120V powered there is a CX4 for around $500. It has a much smaller motor so it will fill a bottle much slower or a gun much slower but it would be faster than I am with a hand pump. And they are reportedly pretty quiet. Or another YH in the box ready to go if yours quits? I don't think a YH is a high end precisely machined compressor but a lot of us get pretty good service from them. Rebuild parts are also readily available so it doesn't have to be a major expense if they need some work. I'm not sure what a YH lifespan will be in your sort of usage, maybe others have experience to tell us. But unless you know it just won't give you a reasonable amount of time between rebuilds and/or replacement I would be thinking of just getting a backup source of air.

I have a larger compressor. Daystate/Coltri. I shoot a lot and it has proved worth every bloody penny I spent on it. Just the savings in time it has paid for itself. I am. No longer making the drive to the air gun shop for air. Saves me well over an hour a week in drive time and waiting for the bottles to fill. Then there is the added benefit of not being at the air gun store where incidental items or new air guns would tempt me to drain the fun fund further.
Take care of one of the better large compressors and it will last a very long time.
As for the Corbin, The ain’t cheap but neither are slugs. Once again I have to weigh the value of my time. I am better off buying than making. Your situation may be much different and I can see the satisfaction of rolling your own.

Reactions: dgeesaman
Hey there! Sounds like you've got a sweet airgun setup already! I totally understand the upgrade itch, but here's what I might do in your shoes (keeping that budget in mind):

Compressor Upgrade: The Alkin is nice, but if your Yong Heng is working fine, maybe hold off for now. Invest in some desiccant packs and keep your filter clean to get the most out of your current compressor.

Corbin Press: If you're spending a ton on slugs, then yeah, the Corbin Press sounds like a money saver in the long run! Do the math and see how long it'll take to pay for itself with your shooting habits.

New Guns: This is tempting, but maybe think about accessories before new guns? A nice target stand, shooting bags, or a variety pack of pellets could add some enjoyment without blowing the budget.

As for the Skout EVO, waiting to see reviews might be smart. New releases can have bugs.

The Western Rattler...power is fun, but .30 cal slugs can get expensive to shoot (remember that Corbin Press!). Maybe a lighter caliber plinker for casual target practice?

Ultimately, it's your call! But hopefully this helps you weigh the options and stay within your budget. Happy shooting!