• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

RAW Rapid Help getting accuracy out of a .22cal RAW HM1000x

I bought a .22cal RAW HM1000x about 6 months ago. Martin said it was tuned to shoot JSB 18gr at speeds around 970-980 fps. However, I found the rifle wasn't accurate as received. Also, I bought it with 2 barrels - a 20" and a 22".

Over the past 6 months, I've tried various Air Arms, H&N, JSB, Daystate and other pellets at energies between 30 - 45 foot pounds. I've tried different regulator settings, different hammer springs, and an SSG. I've shot from a bipod, from sandbags, and from a rest. The average accuracy is 1 - 2" groups at 25 yards. 50yd groups are all over the place. In no case could I get even close to 1/4" groups at 25 yards which would be my minimum standard. For reference, my .177cal RAW will shoot 1/8" groups at 25 yards with several different pellets and 1/2" groups at 50 yards. After giving up on pellets, I tried shooting slugs from ZAN, FX, and JSB at various speeds, but the accuracy was worse. I just received some NSA slugs tonight that I will try this weekend, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope

My conclusion is that both barrels are bad. I've been talking with Martin the whole time, trying different ideas that he had, but nothing has worked so far. He recently said that the .22cal barrels have not been very accurate the past few years, and that he has gotten a lot of them back. I'm likely going to be sending these back to him too, but I want to make sure Ive exhausted all of my options first.

Both bores are polished, and the crowns are very clean, even, and without any burrs. The only issue that i can find is that each bore is slightly tighter the first 1 - 2 inches (at the breach end) and then the pellet pushes through the bores without any resistance the rest of the way. They are both unchoked. I'm thinking the tighter breech may be what is ruining the accuracy. Is it worth trying to open this up by polishing it with a mild valve grinding compound?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: ThomasT
Look at this, just behind the pellet probe there is a black “slider over” there are two very small set screws if you loosen those enough this allows you to slide this back and expose another set screw you can loosen this and thread the actual probe in or out to adjust head space or how tight the probe seats against the barrel, if it’s loose that can cause some blow by creating accuracy issues?.
My set screw became loose over thousands of rounds on my first HM1000x causing issues. My newer guns this screw is loc-tighted in so be careful. Maybe Martin already discussed this with you. And you would probably know on lock up little to no tension and or a puff of air on your face?

Exactly what Martin and Thomas said above....it's the barrels. I know you already spent a lot of money but maybe it would be worth trying to find if possible, a non choked CZ barrel or other that would fit as there are a plethora of them for airguns right now, maybe Martin can get one..? I have an older smaller breech .22 and it is not ammo fussy at all, pellets or slugs (slugs that fit properly). I really hope you can get a barrel for it that shoots as it should because they are special when they do. So sorry for what you are going thru....Martin is so honest and caring. Just remembered...maybe an FX barrel fitted, folks have done this but my preference would be a CZ. Or, sorry for carrying on...have Martin cut that breech length off....?

sounds like you need to talk to scott "motorhead"
Zack & i speak semi frequently & this .22 cal barrel issue is nothing new being i know of several folks with Both 12g std and Poly in choked and unchoked who ARE NOT HAPPY with there LW barrels this last year or so :cry:

Wow, thank you all for so many suggestions! I’ll try to respond to each one separately:

I’ve tried different moderators, and there is no clipping.

I’ve tried 2 scopes.

The probe is sealing perfectly, as I put tissue in front of the action, and at the probe, and there doesn’t appear to be any air leakage. Both side set screws are tight and flush.

I specifically asked for choked barrels, but Martin talking me into no choke, saying that they would be better for higher power??? I'm not sure about this one now???

I’m thinking you guys are right and that these barrels are just garbage. Trying to open up the breech would likely be putting lipstick on a pig and just result in more wasted time. These barrels will be going back…

Thank you guys so much for the quick help and advice!!!

The surprising thing to me is that we living in other countries take RAW guns as guarantee of accuracy.

We have read that Martin himself tests each gun for accuracy at 50 and 100 yards and only those guns go out of manufacturing premises which are accurate and accuracy standard of Mertin is high.

I remember well that in 2017 when I placed order for my two HMX1000 guns, I gave Martin all my requirements. One of the requirements was that he himself would test the guns for accuracy and I shall accept the gun if the gun is 1 MOA at 100 yards.

He did test the guns and confirmed about my standard of accuracy. Then I got delivery and I am very happy with the accuracy.

I purchased the guns before takeover by Airforce.

If this is not the existing standard of accuracy of RAW guns, it would be a great set back to the goodwill of RAW.

Bhaur

Reactions: Gear_Junkie
Sorry Randall, I just realized I forgot to respond to your comment about another barrel. I would prefer not to lay out any additional funds at this point. I'm thinking (hoping?) that Martin will make this right - likely by providing me with ACCURATE .25cal barrels. Unfortunatley, he said that he doesn't have access to other .22 barrels anymore... major bummer

Bhaur, I can definitely say that considerably more attention to detail was paid to the .177cal RAW that I purchased from Martin a couple years ago. The .22cal rifle had the wrong bolt to attach the stock, the trigger was heavy and creepy, and a number of other little things needed to be corrected that were all set perfect on my .177cal RAW. The .22cal has been a huge disappointment so far...

Reactions: Ranchibi
I don't mean this in a critical way, but if you've had the rifle six months, you should have sent it back 5 1/2 months ago, assuming you have done all the routine troubleshooting. I say that based on my experience with Martin. He does not want such a rifle out there, and I'm surprised it was shipped when shooting so poorly. I'm not familiar with his barrel supply issues, but I know that they aren't all bad. I don't know how to take his comment on not having access to other barrels. If you return it, you will get it back with a barrel that shoots.

Last edited:
Reactions: mubhaur
I don't mean this in a critical way, but if you've had the rifle six months, you should have sent it back 5 1/2 months ago, assuming you have done all the routine troubleshooting. I say that based on my experience with Martin. He does not want such a rifle out there, and I'm surprised it was shipped when shooting so poorly. I'm not familiar with his barrel supply issues, but I know that they aren't all bad. I don't know how to take his comment on not having access to other barrels. If you return it, you will get it back with a barrel that shoots.
No worries about it being critical! Martin has known from the very beginning that I've been having accuracy issues. He's given me some different things to try at various times. I've just been super busy the past 6 months and large chunks of time to carry out testing have been hard to come by.