Hello, I’m new here

Hi I’m new here, my first post. Old rimfire bench shooter from rimfirecentral years ago. Just got an older springer, crosman fury .177 with coiled spring and I guess I messed up when I ordered parts from Crosman. I got a nitro piston not a coiled spring. 
I haven’t taken rifle apart yet and they are closed for weekend but thought someone might know if I can convert the Fury to a Fury NP using this instead of returning it for a spring. From the looks of the parts lists for the two rifles they are the same except one has the piston and other has spring and guides. From parts diagram looks like I might have to use old front spring guide between piston and new air filled one but just guessing till it’s apart. Anyone that’s done this please respond, or I’ll just wait till Monday and talk to Crosman. Gun shoots fine now but sure new spring and piston/breech seals won’t hurt it, probably original ones in it now. I just couldn’t pass it up when I saw it in pawn shop stuck behind a stack of pool cues, asked how much, they said $20. Got a new rws 34 .22 on the way, so I’ll be around real regular here I’m sure. Looking forward to meeting all you too.

Yes that’s what I’ve been reading, don’t know anyone that has one but great reviews. My brother bought a gamo whisper something or other and got me interested in air guns, haven’t shot one since my early teens and I’m 66. Thought I’d get out cheap at $20. Should have known I’d start chasing one hole groups like I have all my life with firearms. Midway has the 34 on sale for $239 and I couldn’t pass that up. Most have been a lot closer to $300. I’m still going to have to slap him for costing me so much money...lol!

Oh, you have no idea! For me it started with mice in the yard, so I got a $50 pump up bb gun. Then the squirrels were tearing up my yard, so I got a $200 Gamo Springer. It was downhill from there, now I have a pcp, 2 boosters, a couple really nice scopes, and a wish list of 3 springers and one more pcp. Would have been cheaper to start doing drugs. 

First off welcome, I'm pretty new too. I bought a Diana 48 earlier this year and a RWS 34 from Midway about a month and half ago. Mine was a blem and was $233 to my door. The gun is perfect but the box was a little beat up. The shot cycle is not near as smooth as the 48 but for the weight difference I can live with it. I'm seriously considering a Vortek kit for it.

Hey @Marble8, welcome to the Nation! I have 4 Crosman spring rifles, all either Nitro Piston (like you received from Crosman) or NP2. Yes, you can replace the spring in your Fury with the NP you received. I noticed on the Crosman site just a day or so ago that the Fury is specifically called out as a model suitable for conversion to NP using a replacement gas ram/strut/spring. I believe you do need to use the front spring guide with the new strut; in fact, I think that the only part you actually swap out is the steel spring itself (but check YouTube to be safe!). You are right on track replacing O-rings and breech seal along with the piston seal. Happy shooting, my brother!

Welcome Marble !!! And cool that you wanna tear into a gun right away ! Its one of the most enjoyable parts of the sport making a gun fit you just like you want it .
Ironlion knows his break barrels , we spoke on the phone just the other day . Very fun to visit with and obviously knows his stuff.
Marbles just post if you have any questions , the guys here are SUPER helpful even to a dummy like me . Post results after you make the swap so we can see how it went .

Welcome to airguns !
You'll love that 34 , the trigger will strike you as truly outstanding. And they are simple to work on, group very well and last just about forever.

On the crosman it sound's like you've got your info ( which sounds correct to me from memory, but, they do change things up sometime).
One thing, Crosman will NOT answer questions. NO advice on what any part may be good for - except the intended use naturally- if swapping/tuning/other.
If you want crosman parts you need the part number and CC in hand, you order your part then they'll give you the price - crosman parts are generally very low indeed-.

Have you look at the members map?
Any matchs near you? -I'm in E. WA and your welcome to try any airgun we have in the house.
Someone here will let you try out some pre-charged as well as other airguns. You need to do this, (airgun) friend.

John

Hey great! I’m in Lufkin, maybe we can get together sometime!
Hey ironlion269, I looked on Crosman site and couldn’t find article on Fury conversion. Could you post link when you have time please?
I’ve looked on YouTube but no luck finding it yet, I’m still trying. No rush as moly paste still hasn’t arrived yet, I should be able to find something out Monday when everyone is open to contact.

hello hello new here too just signed up today I'm coming over from the AR15 and 1911 .45 side and I like to get into air rifling and I like to start off with a Gamo Maxxim Swarm in .22 and anyone in here has one they can vouch for ? I've seen the You Tube reviews on them but I just want as much info I can from y'all and perhaps graduate to the regulated PCP I was wondering what is a decent after market scope for it ?

@Marble8, I originally saw the reference to replacement Nitro Pistons working in the Fury through a special run by either Pyramyd Air or AirGunDepot but I cannot find the email with the link. That said, I did some snooping around on comment sections for replacement Nitro Piston sales and confirmed that the Fury, like a number of Crosman guns, comes in both the coiled spring and NP version without modification of the stock or action. Your NP will essentially be a direct swap-out with the spring you have. There is some contention among the comment threads regarding increase or decrease in the spring load when you go to a nitro piston. Suffice it to say that being prepared to use a spring compressor of some kind is your best course of action. What is clear is that most comments included the opinion that the NP made the rifle more powerful and less "twangy" than the coiled spring.

Called Crosman, Piramyd Air, and Baker Airguns, no answers from any of them so I tore it down. Won’t work without several other new parts, piston and other one(s) at rear of NP as the rear spring guide that goes thru spring also holds the cross pin you have to push out to remove everything. Way more than I want to put in one this old, especially since the 34 will be here tomorrow. I could machine what I need and make it work but why? I can replace everything with original for about $15 including barrel hinge bushing and sideplay washers and have a basicly new Fury. Even a stock Fury NP has a different piston as the notches are in different places on it and mine. Just not worth it for a rifle that was only $100 or so new. Thanks for trying to help though. I appreciate it!
I’ll let y’all know how it shoots when I get it back together.