• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Heaviest slugs?

What is the heaviest slug i can use with these settings without hurting the gun?
(BTW it ha the factory hammer) see pic

Screenshot_20230220-190341_Samsung Notes.jpg

what’s the mag length? I don’t think you can really “hurt” the gun if you’re within its design parameters. I think the only issue you’d run into is loosing velocity to the point of diminishing returns. Are you asking if you could load a heavy arrow from the muzzle or something like that?
Would I be able to safely go up to a slug somewhere in the low to mid 50gr. Safely without hurting the gun at all?

I think your limit will be mag length. The Impact has a pretty long throat compared to most pcps. The settings are not really going to be affected by the slug weight in regard to damaging the rifle. Going heavier will mostly result in slower speeds or maybe a mag jam assuming its "too long". But know that your front reg is probably maxed out at 180, and might not last very long. Personally I wouldnt go above 170 on a factory reg. Buddy just went through this with his M3 and got a front reg delete kit from UA at their recommendation. A lot of guys running high tunes will either dump their front reg, upgrade it, or in my case buy an MKII.

Would I be able to safely go up to a slug somewhere in the low to mid 50gr. Safely without hurting the gun at all?
Keep in mind weight is only part of the equation. Length can vary wildly in slugs of the same exact weight, depending on the design. I think the max I would try in a stock 30 M3 mag would be 10mm, so a Nielsen 61.5 grain slug would be pushing it. I think you will probably be disappointed with the slower velocities though.

Reactions: Cloudrider
Keep in mind weight is only part of the equation. Length can vary wildly in slugs of the same exact weight, depending on the design. I think the max I would try in a stock 30 M3 mag would be 10mm, so a Nielsen 61.5 grain slug would be pushing it. I think you will probably be disappointed with the slower velocities though.
I have some Zan 54gr
Do you think those would be safe to shoot with this setup? (Remember Factory Hammer in hammer spring.)

I have some Zan 54gr
Do you think those would be safe to shoot with this setup? (Remember Factory Hammer in hammer spring.)
I think I understand where your original question comes from. You’re a very safety conscious individual, this is a good thing. The m3 is one of the most popular PCPs so if there was some sort of fatal flaw it’d be well documented. They’re engineered by a reputable company, as long as you don’t over pressure the gun or start disassembling it and poking and prodding and you’re not getting oil into the air system use any projectile within the published tech specs and you’re good to go.

https://fxairguns.com/accessories/fx-magazines/

Also look on YouTube and see if people have shot certain ammo and see what their results are. Oftentimes you can find good tunes for that Ammo as well.

You probably don't want slugs going under about 880 fps so on that gun/tune it's likely going to be a slug in the upper 50s or low 60s (grains)

I don't see why using heavy slugs would be "unsafe" -- you will hit the point of diminishing returns and find heavier ammo will move too slow to stabilize and has a bad flight trajectory. Unless there's something about FX guns I don't know.

You probably don't want slugs going under about 880 fps so on that gun/tune it's likely going to be a slug in the upper 50s or low 60s (grains)

I don't see why using heavy slugs would be "unsafe" -- you will hit the point of diminishing returns and find heavier ammo will move too slow to stabilize and has a bad flight trajectory. Unless there's something about FX guns I don't know.
Im doing 970 with a Nielsen 47.2gr. slug and i keep getting flyers every third shot or so. I called fx and they told me that the slugs were too light for that tune to go to the 49.5 gr. .
Also i have some zan 54gr slugs i wanted to try before i start messing with the settings.