• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hearing Damage?

I was shooting my Diana K98 today and perhaps my ears were more sensitive than normal, but the sound of the shot cycle seemed uncomfortably loud. Pulled out the noise meter app on my phone and registered 95dB at a max. That got me thinking; What's the general consensus on the effects of air gun discharge to hearing? I understand that any prolonged exposure to noises over 90 decibels can start to cause damage, and anything over 120 dB can cause immediate damage. Most my magnum springers come in at around the 90s dB, and I usually shoot outdoors. Although that noise level lasts only a moment, will exposure cause harm to hearing?

PtRKrgbh.jpg

I've been around loud wood working tools all my life, and have sometimes not used PPE. Now that I've gotten much older, loud noises makes me cringe. I sometime have to put ear muffs on when I shoot my .25 Compact Vet for an extended shooting session. I've experimented with a variety of moderators for the gun but I get better results without one. I really don't mid putting on muffs. Some of those squishy foam ear plugs work pretty well too. I don't have any scientific proof for you, but I think you'd be better off using some sort of PPE for your ears.

Everyday Sounds and NoisesAverage Sound Level (measured in decibels)Typical Response (after routine or repeated exposure)
Softest sound that can be heard0

Sounds at these dB levels typically don’t cause any hearing damage.
Normal breathing10
Ticking watch20
Soft whisper30
Refrigerator hum40
Normal conversation, air conditioner60
Washing machine, dishwasher70You may feel annoyed by the noise
City traffic (inside the car)80–85You may feel very annoyed
Gas-powered lawnmowers and leaf blowers80-85Damage to hearing possible after 2 hours of exposure
Motorcycle95Damage to hearing possible after about 50 minutes of exposure
Approaching subway train, car horn at 16 feet (5 meters), and sporting events (such as hockey playoffs and football games)100Hearing loss possible after 15 minutes
The maximum volume level for personal listening devices; a very loud radio, stereo, or television; and loud entertainment venues (such as nightclubs, bars, and rock concerts)105–110Hearing loss possible in less than 5 minutes
Shouting or barking in the ear110Hearing loss possible in less than 2 minutes
Standing beside or near sirens120Pain and ear injury
Firecrackers140–150Pain and ear injury
The time estimates listed in the “Typical Response” column are based on the NIOSH exchange rate of 3 dB. For more information, visit NIOSH’s website.

Sounds May Be Louder Than What You Hear
How loud something sounds to you is not the same as the actual intensity of that sound. Sound intensity is the amount of sound energy in a confined space. It is measured in decibels (dB). The decibel scale is logarithmic, which means that loudness is not directly proportional to sound intensity. Instead, the intensity of a sound grows very fast. This means that a sound at 20 dB is 10 times more intense than a sound at 10 dB. Also, the intensity of a sound at 100 dB is one billion times more powerful compared to a sound at 10 dB.
Two sounds that have equal intensity are not necessarily equally loud. Loudness refers to how you perceive audible sounds. A sound that seems loud in a quiet room might not be noticeable when you are on a street corner with heavy traffic, even though the sound intensity is the same. In general, to measure loudness, a sound must be increased by 10 dB to be perceived as twice as loud. For example, ten violins would sound only twice as loud as one violin.
The risk of damaging your hearing from noise increases with the sound intensity, not the loudness of the sound. If you need to raise your voice to be heard at an arm’s length, the noise level in the environment is likely above 85 dB in sound intensity and could damage your hearing over time.

I’m certainly no expert, but I would imagine the obvious answer to your question is yes.

Over time, any exposure to sound—regardless of decibel level—will have a deteriorating effect on your hearing. The higher the level, the greater the risk. You can mitigate some of that risk by wearing hearing protection, but not all of it.

I grew up going to loud punk shows in small basements. My hearing is intact but I’m paranoid that I’ve used up all my luck. I wear hearing protection when I’m shooting anything I wouldn’t shoot in a suburban backyard—unless of course I’m hunting. Then I want my unimpeded faculties, and I’ll just take the ringing in my ears as fair payment for a good shot.

Reactions: Farmplinker2
The system is designed to tell you when there is a problem. Your discomfort means your ears are feeling damage, just like your fingers will tell you when the pot lid is too hot.
I have a couple of springers that I wear one earplug on the gun side, especially if I'll be shooting a bit.

I've spent a lifetime abusing my ears. Diving did the most damage, but a lot of shooting and live music as youngster played their fair share. These days, I frequently wait for trains in the NYC subway, so... It's hard for me to hear my wife telling me to stop buying airgun stuff.

While there are general levels of noise that are considered to be in defined areas of potential damage, people suffer damage at different thresholds. I have a profound hearing loss, and even with powerful hearing aids, do not hear at close to a normal level. My air rifles are all suppressed, and I don't generally wear ear protection when shooting them, unless I'm at the range with other firearms being fired. I would definitely wear protection if shooting without the suppressor. It's best to err on the conservative side. Once hearing is lost, it's permanent.

I work to get my guns down to around 85 db or if reasonably possible a little less for multiple reasons. My hearing is one but a bigger one is I am typically shooting in my back yard. That is legal where I live but I do not want to annoy my neighbors and possibly start trouble. One of the many reasons I like my P35s is their shroud can be slid along the barrel to make room available for sound suppression. Currently all three have 3D printed moderators inside the shroud. I used an external 3D printed on my Prod for awhile but then I damaged it. Plastic is not super sturdy. But inside the metal shroud of the P35 I have had no issues. Even quieter would be nice for not spooking game but would seem to require bigger moderators than I would like to use. 85db thus seems to be about where my guns will stay. It also happens to be about the same noise level as a pellet striking a paper target. That is normally what I am shooting at.

One of the great things about airguns is the lack of hurdles to jump over from laws/regulations. Moderators for powder burners require a license which comes with unannounced inspection rights for the regulators. Nothing like that on airguns. The pressure is also low enough 3D printed ones work well which really reduces cost. If you are worried about your hearing I would work on attaching a moderator.

Reactions: Berserkeley Mike
Pffttttt, guns, rock bands, loud cars those are nothing.....compared to 12 B52's taking off in a big hurry. Actually made the air crack. it was AWESOME!!! Well that and lots of .22 shooting and working in a machine shop. Luckily I'm only missing a tiny segment of my hearing, goes with the Tinnitus that and getting more mature, ok older.

Pffttttt, guns, rock bands, loud cars those are nothing.....compared to 12 B52's taking off in a big hurry. Actually made the air crack. it was AWESOME!!! Well that and lots of .22 shooting and working in a machine shop. Luckily I'm only missing a tiny segment of my hearing, goes with the Tinnitus that and getting more mature, ok older.
always liked to watch B52 flapping wings until it got going fast enough haha what a sight .

• Haha
Reactions: MysticalDragon
I wish I would have taken hearing protection more seriously than I did. It's too late for me now I have 75% loss in one ear and 65% in the other. When I talk to anyone I just guess at what they are saying. Being deaf is not something a person can begin to understand untill they are too. Put your ear plugs in and muffs over then go through your day. Give you some idea of what my life is like now. Protect what you have now its more precious and vital than you realize.