• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hatsan Gladius Cylinder Problem

mhc

Jun 22, 2016
What could be the problem? I guess I know the problem, the cylinder won't take air. can anything be done short of new cylinder?
I bought it at MIdway USA and they will happy to give me a new gun, the problem is they are out of stock for another month.
I have one of Joe's tanks, Pressure in the tank is 4000psi.
I removed the hose from the tank, air comes out of the tank
I hooked the hose to the tank and held the probe, air comes out of the probe
This tells me everything from Joe is a-ok
Put the probe into the 255cc cylinder and nothing

yes on the slow flo valve from joe-b.
every thing from joe is working perfectly, I think. I forgot to tell everyone, I am brand new to pcp and air guns.
This is my very first setup, so don't really know what I'm talking about. ha ha
Well anyway, it's the 255cc air cylinder, it will not let any air in, nothing is leaking out. It want allow any air in.
It still sounds like something to try, this gun has never had one pellet fired through it. Is it ok to just dry fire it a couple of times while hooked
to the refill bottle? Sorry for the stupid question, just new and don't know. Got to start somewhere. I know one thing I spent a lot of money, I'm not real happy at the present.

Are you sure the cylinder is empty. I'm assuming the cylinder has the typical spring and seat to seal it so it shouldn't take much pressure to overcome it and start filling. What does the gauge read? Did you dry fire it? Did it go bang? Did you orient the hole on the probe towards the cylinder? I have had only a few that use probes I much prefer quick connect, but my cyclone fills better when probe hole is straight into valve. What does the pressure reach in hose when trying to fill? Or does it just escape, bad orings.... give more info.

well the 255cc tank reads about 75 bar. The pressure in the line is 3800psi. I do see the small hole on the probe, but did not orient toward the cylinder.
I just stuck it in the refill hole. I'm going to give this a try right now in the house, After I see your next post.

Update I did not wait, hooked it up to the refill tank and fired the rifle 8 times. The gun sounds like I suppose it would firing, but the 255cc tank still
will not allow any air in. I guess the gauge on the 255cc tank could be bad.

That's a good question, I have no clue if I can let the air out. A bad gauge would mean I would have no idea how much pressure is already in that tank. Instead of only 75 bar it could have too much pressure.
It's late here and I have put the gun back in it's case. I'll be out of town tomorrow. If you think of any thing else please post, I'll catch up when I get back.
One other thing, I have a case going with Hatsan USA. We only got to exchange one e-mail before they closed for the day. So guess I'll hear from them tomorrow.

Apologies if I've missed something, but have you tried disconnecting the cylinder from the rifle before refilling with air? If the cylinder is fixed to the rifle then make sure the rifle is cocked with safety on (to ensure there is no hammer pressure on the valve pin/poppet-therein ensuring air cylinder can be sealed) before filling.

If still no luck, try a quick controlled turn (OPEN AND CLOSE QUICKLY) of the scuba tank (1000 psi to 2000 psi) to create a SHORT jet of air that will hopefully blast away any fibre or hair that is between valve pin/poppet and seat.

Don't let all the air out of the cylinder. It is just as likely to cause more problems. I have had some that won't hold air after I let all the air out once. You should keep air pressure in there at all times.

There are a few mistakes I made with my first Hatan rifle that stopped it from filling with air and almost made me return the thing. First, I stupidly tried to hand-tighten the fill probes into the quick disconnect adapter. Without a proper seal, no air would go into the tank. You need to wrap the threads in plumbers tape and tighten with two wrenches pulled in opposite directions to create a seal capable of holding that kind of pressure. 

What happens you try to fill the cylinder? Can you hear air escaping or is it just silent? 

If it is just silent then you might have a blockage in your quick disconnect adapter. I created one once by running air through it too fast and it melted the deralin seal ring. I drilled a new hole in it and it worked again. Check that air can get through all of the parts.

If you hear air escaping then the most likely is that you haven't sealed all the connections properly. If you properly tighten all the parts with plumbers tape on the threads and air is still escaping then you might have clipped the O rings on the probe. My Hatsan guns all came with a bunch of spares. Carefully replace both rings. 

Make de sure you have the bleeder valve on your line closed when you try to fill the cylinder. Sounds simple but I assume it is an easy mistake for someone new to PCP guns.

Direct the hole on the probe towards the valve opening of the cylinder. Make sure the prob is pushed all the way in properly. It should be a snug fit. I did receive one Hatsan gun with the wrong probe and the for was too loose to create a seal. 

If all that fails the. I would return it. There are ways to repair the valve on the cylinder but it is not worth it for a new gun. 

Getting that fill probe properly and tightly fitted on the fill line is critical. Like zebra mentioned above it takes plumbers tape and 2 wrenches. I'm always super cautious about tightening brass because you can go too far and strip it but it still takes more force than what I typically think it will take. If you hear any hissing at all while you're trying to fill it's probably leaking at the fill probe connection. Once you start filling about 190 bar is all you need. Don't go over 200 for sure. 

I did use the white tape on the threads, also use tools to make sure it was tight. It never made any hissing, really nothing at all. When I would hold the probe in my hand there was plenty of air coming out the probe, when inserted into the fill hole, nothing going into the tank.
I would like to thank everyone that offered suggestions and tried to help a newbie like me I tried to return it to MIdway USA for a replacement, but they are out of stock for at least a month. i'm not willing to wait, so they offered a full refund including shipping. I'm sending it back. I also placed an order for a new air gun.. Next Tuesday my new air gun will arrive. Air Force Condor 22cal. Maybe I'll have better luck this time around.

Again, thanks to everyone that responded to my post and tried to help.